Member Yearling hillbillydeluxe will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Michael Freeman
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    now-Generals Daughter & Passaic River

Positives

The sad thing is yes the penalties should be harsher but if you run second to the drug cheats and you back your horse there is no reprieve, with proof could itbe that you launch a civil case against the guilty.
    It is like the TAB and betting agencies committing fraud....think about it. in essence the bet has been accepted at the time everything is declared, down the track a positive and everyone wins bar the owner who backed his horse to win.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Atom View Post
    Norketamine: Appears to have similar properties to Etorphine. Norketamine does have a greater analgesic effect than Ketamine but with a much less psychedelic influence. It may be possible, in correct dosage,
    (like Etorphine), to act as an athletic stimulator. More studies need to be done.

[VVV] Interesting. Where did you get your information from MA?
    I can't see how it's possible that the metabolite (in this case, norketamine) has a greater analgesic effect than its own parent drug (in this case, ketamine).

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Fellas, if the level that Greg has reported is correct then IMO the testing regime & subsequent regulatory enforcement of same has gone right off the %$#!ing deep end whilst screaming & claiming to be a tea-pot. How could anyone in their right mind keep a straight face and suggest that 1 billionth of 1 gram of norketamine is having any pharmacologically active effect whatsoever in a 350-400kg horse????????? and further to that, how could such an infinitesimally small amount earn a Trainer 12 months on the sidelines? Insanity, absolute insanity.
    Last edited by Triple V; 02-14-2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling was terrible.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Reported today on WIN tv that The Trainers Association had a meeting with HRNSW today and i think from reports asked the same question. Not sure of outcome as interview with WIN TV with HRNSW wasn't forthcoming.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    Fellas, if the level that Greg has resported is correct then IMO the testing regime & subsequent regulatory enforcement of same has gone right off the %$#!ing deep end whilst screaming & claiming to be a tea-pot. How could anyone in their right mind keep a straight face and suggest that 1 billionth of 1 gram of norketamine is having any pharmacologically active effect whatsoever in a 350-400kg horse????????? and further to that, how could such an infinitesimally small amount earn a Trainer 12 months on the sidelines? Insanity, absolute insanity.
    I have to say I'm inclined to agree Jamie, that is IF the level in the horses system was in fact "one nannogram", however that is excactly what I'm struggling to understand, how would they be able to accurately detect that quantity?
    I honestly don't know what the permissable level is for this substance, if it's zero, then it comes into the group of "bad shit" doesn't it?, if the level permited is something other than zero, then why has Barry been disqualified if the the horse had only one nannogram in his system? or was it one microgram above the threshold/limit??
    I honestly have no idea, but if as Barry claims the substance came from the stable he was using then everyone better be extra vigilant when they travel with their hiorses and for that matter when accommodating travelling horses at their own establishments.

cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Haven't we been down this road before? http://hl-app1.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=88749

By hook or by crook a substance that shouldn't have been in the horses system was found.

Just to what level of scrutiny is required by trainers that would satisfy stewards, I just don't know. But let us assume that even if Barry is not complicit in the least he still has to prove his case of innocence. Under the rules as they stand he doesn't have much room to move.

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post
    Haven't we been down this road before? http://hl-app1.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=88749

By hook or by crook a substance that shouldn't have been in the horses system was found.

Just to what level of scrutiny is required by trainers that would satisfy stewards, I just don't know. But let us assume that even if Barry is not complicit in the least he still has to prove his case of innocence. Under the rules as they stand he doesn't have much room to move.
    Thats the point I tried to make in other threads here, under the ABSOLUTE rule, trainers are not able to defend themselves. Lab report is final and they don't care how it happened.
    Except in NZ where the RIU "shit themselves" with the arsonic findings at the Hong Kong lab. They dropped all charges against the trainers but horses still lost the race. Arsonic was in a commonly used product and had been for years.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Effects of N-ethyl-nor-ketamine

The effects are reported to be less trippy, less psychedelic and with less dissociation than Ketamine, however with greater euphoria, relaxation and analgesia.

Euphoria
    Relaxation
    Moderate dissociation
    Moderate hallucinations
    Time dilation
    Mild body load
    Mild mobility inhibition

Read more: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...#ixzz2Kp1I49v8

Hi VVV, could have mistaken N-ethyl-nor-ketamine for norketamine thinking they are one of the same.
    Last edited by Mighty Atom; 02-14-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: correction

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Apparently Ketamine is the most abused drug in Hong Kong and is spreading through East Asia, Europe,Australia and North America.
    The relative ease at which drugs can be detected does not seem to be a deterrent ; I would suggest it's a case of miscalculation of
    administration rather than the fear of being caught. Only last week, over here in W.A., a recent G.P. winner has returned a positive to
    caffeine of all things. I remember a case many years ago,back in the 70's, where a horse returned a caffeine positive and the trainer's
    explanation was ''I employ tea leaves in my feeding program''. Maybe this time it was too much cocoa powder. I'm afraid these days
    when a horse wins a race, particularly the high profile performers, I wait with bated breath until the swab is returned negative and
    even then I'm not totally convinced.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Rod there was no miscalculation of administration as the horse wasn't given anything.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

+ Reply to Thread