Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Barry Lew another positive

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    1 Nannogram was the amount the horse had in him which is about 1/100000 of a bees dick in amount and i have measured a bee.
    [VVV] Yeh? That's 1 billionth of 1 gram.
    Perhaps another good example of the ongoing & desperate need for thresholds to be put in place for a range of substances, levels above which are deemed pharmacologically active & below which are simply ignored. Incidentally, by way of some sort of a yardstick, a human drugs of abuse test (for Ketamine use) is deemed to be positive if the tested level comes back at 1000ng/ml or higher.
    Last edited by Triple V; 02-13-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added (for Ketamine use)

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    1 Nannogram was the amount the horse had in him which is about 1/100000 of a bees dick in amount and i have measured a bee.
    Thanks for the info Greg about the one nannogram found in the swab, can you let me know where that info is? I have been looking everywhere to no avail to find the levels detected as the levels have a bit to do with the effects of this drug, I know Jamie is saying it's a sedative but my information is that in particular dosing/levels rather than acting as a sedative it can act as a bronchodialator, freeing up the airways as such, which, obviously will have a positive effect on the horses performance rather than putting him to sleep.

So greg if you can help us out there that'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Hi Jaimie

It also has some dissassociative qualities that idiots who like to dope themselves up on ketamine try this other gear to space themselves out with. Psychotrophic.

(Why people need to do this to themselves is beyond me, but I can see [assuming some people think horses think like us] why this may be used on a horse feeling his joints. But the thought processes of why people do stuff like this isn't what I'm on about here).

My point simply is should Barry have copped two years under the new guidlines? If so, have the stewards used their discretionary powers (and they are extremely powerful) and exercised the get out jail free clauses for admitting guilt, or taking every precaution possible to ensure nothing was administered etc.

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Bailey

Kevin was given a squillion chances to clean up his act but he continually flouted authority, threatened both stewards and his on-track rivals and his behaviour had gone past the pale. On this DQ most would have no qualms or little sympathy. If only he had taken some Nork and chilled out a bit, well he might be still competing.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Thanks for the info Greg about the one nannogram found in the swab, can you let me know where that info is? I have been looking everywhere to no avail to find the levels detected as the levels have a bit to do with the effects of this drug, I know Jamie is saying it's a sedative but my information is that in particular dosing/levels rather than acting as a sedative it can act as a bronchodialator, freeing up the airways as such, which, obviously will have a positive effect on the horses performance rather than putting him to sleep.

So greg if you can help us out there that'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Straight from the owner's mouth Dan is from where it came in an interview with WIN news tonight.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Straight from the owner's mouth Dan is from where it came in an interview with WIN news tonight.
    Gee fancy that! one puny little nannogram hey? I'm beginning to think this poor bloke is one of the unluckiest trainers going around! First he and McCarthy get done for Boldenone on the same night at Newcastle, which you'd have to say is some sort of coincidence, then McCarthy gets off because his sample does some really wierd things whilst in storage, but poor Barry's sample just behaves as per normal, (like every other sample has in storage since they started storing them years ago) and he gets nabbed for that too!

poor bloke must have done something to wreck his luck hey?
    Last edited by Danno; 02-13-2013 at 01:29 AM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Thanks Greg Tried to source that interview on WIN but their website is a friendly as a box of rattlesnakes. Found this though Danno where Barry thinks the source may have come from and I think Dizzy had already alluded to it (careful where you stand in gelding areas). http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/su...-1226576561441 so there is your answer.

Still I am a little confused as to this report from Dubbo's Daily Liberal that states that the first case was quashed due to the sample being contaminated. http://www.dailyliberal.com.au/story...cation/?cs=112

I know one case was quashed but that was Mach Wipers. I thought the other case (Barry Lews) original charge stood. Boy, what do you believe and who do you believe. The good people of Dubbo are not being told the truth...and lets face it, image is everything.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    No reports from some country papers surprise me a lot of stories are quite often wrong.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Norketamine: Appears to have similar properties to Etorphine. Norketamine does have a greater analgesic effect than Ketamine but with a much less psychedelic influence. It may be possible, in correct dosage,
    (like Etorphine), to act as an athletic stimulator. More studies need to be done.

aussiebreno
    While I sympathize with those who say the traces were minute and didn't make a difference to the horses performance, that is a seperate topic. That topic being the rules need changing. It is no defence for Barry Lew as to why he received a positive. I'm in agreeance with Brad as to the severity, or lack there-of, of this penalty.

+ Reply to Thread