Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Paul Humphries Thread

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin

Paul Humphries Thread

Can't wait to read the thoughts of Paul and his young bloke after this years SA Cup.
    For those new to the forum, here is some background. First up 2012 edition.
    It reads

Was a bit apprehensive as we pulled out the driveway (late as usual) Saturday morning. Sons not the best traveller in a car if it's not for harness racing reasons. "Are we there yet?", etc, etc. Didn't think the fact he would spend most of the next 2 days sitting in one had sunk in on him. And I haven't driven a long trip like that for years so was a bit concerned how I'd go.

Got all the questions as we travelled on "Who was the best horse you ever saw?", "What was the best race?", "who was the best driver?" etc, etc. Got me recalling Pure Steel and Preux Cheveliar. Popular Alm and Gammalite. V.Knight in his heyday. Digging things out of me memory I thought long gone.

After few hours it kicked in, "NUMB-ARSE-ITITUS". He starting to get a little uncomfortable too. "Wanna turn back mate?" "No way dad. Keep going". The resultant pit stops slowed our progress a little. When we finally got there and found hotel it was a quick shower and find the track. Dunno who was more excited, me or son.

A long queue at the turnstiles!! Something I haven't seen at the trots for years!

Huge crowd there. Biggest for years they said. From the chatter in the queue, reckon most of them there to see Smoken Up.

Just before the big race the lights went out. Tipping they had so many things plugged into power points that hadn't be used for ages the system couldn't cope. Then they came on, then they went off. Over and over again. Each time they came on there was a mad rush of officials all getting into position and then a combined groan every time they went off. The track lights were still on so people were asking why they couldnt run the race. It was explained they couldn't get power to the photo finish camera. "What do they need that for?" people asked. "No one will get near Smoken Up".

A few people left but otherwise no one moved. Like us, they were there to see the champ.

The bloke doing the on course trackside commentary (Ray Fewings?) did a fantastic job keeping the crowd informed and entertaining them. He did a great job all night actually. During pre-race warm up, as each horse came down the straight he was explaining the different gear on horses, introducing the drivers, trainers, etc.

And Jimmy Jacques too. Now theres another great talent we are blessed with.

They got the band out (they were supposed to be playing for a while after the last). And the band played on while the lights were off. "Just like the band on the Titanic did" as the trackside commentator put it. Me numb arse starting aching even more when there was talk of the race being called off and re run next weekend.

The lights came on again. There was a countdown sort of as all expected them to go out again. But no, this time they stayed on. The crowd cheered when the first of the horses came back out on the track. In drib and drabs they arrived. But no Smoken Up. It was like he was paying them back for making him wait. Looking around and could see most eyes glued on the gate that leads onto the track and there was another cheer when he finally arrived.

A big cheer too when the race finally started. It was over by time they reached the winning post the first time as Smoken Up took the lead. But no one cared. Just like us, they were there to see a champion in all his glory. And they got what they came for.

Haven't laughed so hard for a long time on the long trip home. And me arse is still numb!

"What did people mean when they said we were silly for driving all that way for a horse race dad?".
    "They just don't understand mate".
    "How long would it take to drive to Perth for the Interdom dad?"

Come on numb arse, there's an adventure worth considering!! Attached Images

Real Name
    bailey martin
    Now Paul's 2013 surprise

It reads

This year sons 12th birthday falls on this Saturday. Couple of our favourite horses running in Bendigo Cup. Said to him we can have BBQ lunch birthday party for you. Then can drive up (just over an hour), go to the races and stay up there. Then drive home Sunday. "But Smoken Ups going to Adelaide dad". He'd rather sit in car for 9-10 hours (x2) and go watch him.

"I'll have to ask your mum"
    "I already asked her and she said OK"

"We ain't driving to Adelaide in 40 degree heat"
    "I checked already and only going to be 29 on Saturday"

"What about the other kids? Reckon they'll want to see you on your birthday"
    "I already asked them and they said OK if I buy them a present"

"I dunno he can win it this year. Caribbean Blaster going over for it"
    "It's not about winning, it's about supporting dad"

"What clown told you that?"
    "You did dad. Anything else to say dad?"

"Pack your bag boy. Go Trigger!!"

Senior Member Colt Hermione will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jan Reynolds
    Occupation
    Education
    Horses
    Chardanae Mullinalaghta Lad
    Lovely story

Member Gelding littlelenny will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    lenny panetto
    Record crowd since the interdominion in 2007, a top night of racing and a display of pure guts and determination from a true champion of the modern era Smoken up. I'm looking forward to hearing about Paul and his young fellas experience this year.

Good on S.A Harness racing for putting on what looked like a super night and to Lance Justice and Andy Gath for taking their champions to Globe Derby.

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Looking forward to Pauls next instalment on the race, bet he's very glad he went!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Last job before leaving early Saturday morning was to feed the horses here. All going to plan until found our latest addition 'Bolt the Colt' playing with the ball float he'd ripped out of the water trough. This caused the water tank to empty into the paddock and he was having the time of his life. A short life it will be if he keeps that up!! Delayed our start a little but a quick patch up job and away we went.

Last year there was not much talk of the race on the way over there. Appeared not much opposition to Smoken Up. This year different. With Caribbean Blaster in the race it was going to be different. It was going to be a race. A great race. Neither of us could have imagined what a great race it would turn out to be. Got asked many questions. How was Smoken Up going to get off of the pegs at the start? Could he somehow get in front of Caribbean Blaster? If he couldn't what would happen then? Could he sit outside him and win?

I was given one of those portable DVD player things for Christmas. One you can plug in your car and watch. Strange present for someone who would be driving and not able to watch it? Getting into car noticed son had brought it along together with his Harness Racing Greats DVD collection. Eight hours of races from days gone by. Great watching (or listening for me as it turned out). Had a few feelings of doubt as to whether was doing the right thing allowing him to sit in a car for so long on his birthday. But, as calls came through for him wishing him happy birthday, I could tell from the tone of his voice as he told them "I'm on my to Adelaide to cheer for Smoken Up" that he was where he wanted to be.

Got to the track and a huge crowd like last year. Fantastic atmosphere. Sons face glowing.

Hadn't told son but had posted something on Smoken Up's facebook page saying we were coming over. We went down to see him before the race. Lance and his son Robert noticed us standing there and came over to wish him happy birthday. If his face was glowing before it was absolutely radiant now.

Up to the packed stand to find a spot. You could feel the excitement in the crowd as the horses made their way onto the track. Lots of action at the start and a huge roar from the crowd as Smoken Up weaved his way to the outside and managed to get in front of Caribbean Blaster as they both charged forward. The race was on. The crowd ignited at the 600m mark as both horses made their bids for victory. Smoken Up was headed and looked beaten. But he never ever is. What happened next I will remember for the rest of my days. As Smoken Up started fighting back when all appeared lost, the whole grandstand rose to their feet and there was like a 'wave of sound' that ran across it. It was loud before but this was many decibels louder. We yelled and yelled and back he came.

Unbelievable. Unimaginable. Unforgetable.

The great race. A two horse race yes, but the great race. I've seen many in my days but that one maybe the greatest I've seen.

As son puts it "All heart and all courage".

We went down to see him before he went home. Robert kindly allowed son to have a pat and get a photo with him. My sons allergic to horses but no way he was missing out on that! He sneezed for 2 hours after but even that couldn't take the smile off of his face.

Took two horses to make it a great race and Caribbean Blaster and Kate Gath certainly played their parts and made it the race it was. Kate Gath, now there's an impressive young lady. Gracious in victory a few weeks back after the Vic Cup and gracious in defeat Saturday night. He's already done it all, but he is going to go on to huge things that horse.

My son wants to be a racecaller. He takes his little recorder thingo and practices every time we go to the races. I don't know why he bothers calling races Smoken Up is in as he hardly mentions any other horse! We replayed his call when we got back to the car after the last race. That's one to keep forever. Not his best call but his recording has captured not only the excitement in his voice but also the 'wave' referred to above. Will try do some cut and paste stuff after and stick it on Youtube with a link to it on here.

The DVD player wasn't used on the way home. The replay of the race via my phone and the replay of sons call must have been played 100 times or more. And every time it sent tingles through you.

That was a long drive but boy am I happy we did it. "The best birthday present ever" son said. "You'll never do better than that one dad". Reckon this time he could be right.

All good when got home. Wife did great job looking after the horses. But she did berate me for my choice of diet while we away. "No vegetables. Where were the vegetables?" she said.

Chips are made of potato. That's a vegetable. And that pickle thing in a Maccas cheeseburger has to a vegetable?

Thank you (yet again) Smoken Up
    We've travelled 5 times now to watch you race and you've won all 5 times.
    Even when you get beat we're never disappointed. It's always a race when you are in it. The bravest of the brave!
    And thank you Lance and Robert.

Go Trigger!

PS - We had some time in between replays on way home to make up a quick poem...

We drove to watch a horse race
    We drove for many miles
    We drove to watch a brave horse run
    He gave us many smiles

We drove to watch the SA Cup
    On sons birthday it did fall
    We drove to cheer for Smoken Up
    The greatest horse of all

Junior Member Yearling matrightyeh will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    john owens
    not bad at all

Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Last job before leaving early Saturday morning was to feed the horses here. All going to plan until found our latest addition 'Bolt the Colt' playing with the ball float he'd ripped out of the water trough. This caused the water tank to empty into the paddock and he was having the time of his life. A short life it will be if he keeps that up!! Delayed our start a little but a quick patch up job and away we went.

Last year there was not much talk of the race on the way over there. Appeared not much opposition to Smoken Up. This year different. With Caribbean Blaster in the race it was going to be different. It was going to be a race. A great race. Neither of us could have imagined what a great race it would turn out to be. Got asked many questions. How was Smoken Up going to get off of the pegs at the start? Could he somehow get in front of Caribbean Blaster? If he couldn't what would happen then? Could he sit outside him and win?

I was given one of those portable DVD player things for Christmas. One you can plug in your car and watch. Strange present for someone who would be driving and not able to watch it? Getting into car noticed son had brought it along together with his Harness Racing Greats DVD collection. Eight hours of races from days gone by. Great watching (or listening for me as it turned out). Had a few feelings of doubt as to whether was doing the right thing allowing him to sit in a car for so long on his birthday. But, as calls came through for him wishing him happy birthday, I could tell from the tone of his voice as he told them "I'm on my to Adelaide to cheer for Smoken Up" that he was where he wanted to be.

Got to the track and a huge crowd like last year. Fantastic atmosphere. Sons face glowing.

Hadn't told son but had posted something on Smoken Up's facebook page saying we were coming over. We went down to see him before the race. Lance and his son Robert noticed us standing there and came over to wish him happy birthday. If his face was glowing before it was absolutely radiant now.

Up to the packed stand to find a spot. You could feel the excitement in the crowd as the horses made their way onto the track. Lots of action at the start and a huge roar from the crowd as Smoken Up weaved his way to the outside and managed to get in front of Caribbean Blaster as they both charged forward. The race was on. The crowd ignited at the 600m mark as both horses made their bids for victory. Smoken Up was headed and looked beaten. But he never ever is. What happened next I will remember for the rest of my days. As Smoken Up started fighting back when all appeared lost, the whole grandstand rose to their feet and there was like a 'wave of sound' that ran across it. It was loud before but this was many decibels louder. We yelled and yelled and back he came.

Unbelievable. Unimaginable. Unforgetable.

The great race. A two horse race yes, but the great race. I've seen many in my days but that one maybe the greatest I've seen.

As son puts it "All heart and all courage".

We went down to see him before he went home. Robert kindly allowed son to have a pat and get a photo with him. My sons allergic to horses but no way he was missing out on that! He sneezed for 2 hours after but even that couldn't take the smile off of his face.

Took two horses to make it a great race and Caribbean Blaster and Kate Gath certainly played their parts and made it the race it was. Kate Gath, now there's an impressive young lady. Gracious in victory a few weeks back after the Vic Cup and gracious in defeat Saturday night. He's already done it all, but he is going to go on to huge things that horse.

My son wants to be a racecaller. He takes his little recorder thingo and practices every time we go to the races. I don't know why he bothers calling races Smoken Up is in as he hardly mentions any other horse! We replayed his call when we got back to the car after the last race. That's one to keep forever. Not his best call but his recording has captured not only the excitement in his voice but also the 'wave' referred to above. Will try do some cut and paste stuff after and stick it on Youtube with a link to it on here.

The DVD player wasn't used on the way home. The replay of the race via my phone and the replay of sons call must have been played 100 times or more. And every time it sent tingles through you.

That was a long drive but boy am I happy we did it. "The best birthday present ever" son said. "You'll never do better than that one dad". Reckon this time he could be right.

All good when got home. Wife did great job looking after the horses. But she did berate me for my choice of diet while we away. "No vegetables. Where were the vegetables?" she said.

Chips are made of potato. That's a vegetable. And that pickle thing in a Maccas cheeseburger has to a vegetable?

Thank you (yet again) Smoken Up
    We've travelled 5 times now to watch you race and you've won all 5 times.
    Even when you get beat we're never disappointed. It's always a race when you are in it. The bravest of the brave!
    And thank you Lance and Robert.

Go Trigger!

PS - We had some time in between replays on way home to make up a quick poem...

We drove to watch a horse race
    We drove for many miles
    We drove to watch a brave horse run
    He gave us many smiles

We drove to watch the SA Cup
    On sons birthday it did fall
    We drove to cheer for Smoken Up
    The greatest horse of all
    A great race, a great night out, and great story too Paul, and never a mention of a mile rate, shouldn't that be what racing is all about?

Your son is in good company, Bart Cummings is allergic to horses so don't let that stop him if he'd prefer a more hands on involvment then calling.

Real Name
    bailey martin
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    A great race, a great night out, and great story too Paul, and never a mention of a mile rate, shouldn't that be what racing is all about?

Your son is in good company, Bart Cummings is allergic to horses so don't let that stop him if he'd prefer a more hands on involvment then calling.
    Dot, are you serious, mile rate!!!!, didn't you watch the contest between 2 horses who both, not long before race time had got off the float after an 8-10 hour trip to get there.
    Please, enjoy the racing. I think you'll find, just to make you feel better, Jimmy Jacques said it was a 1.56 last mile

Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by p plater View Post
    Dot, are you serious, mile rate!!!!, didn't you watch the contest between 2 horses who both, not long before race time had got off the float after an 8-10 hour trip to get there.
    Please, enjoy the racing. I think you'll find, just to make you feel better, Jimmy Jacques said it was a 1.56 last mile
    Bailey I'm sorry if I've confused you and others, my point is most definately that the mile rate is at the very very best secondary if not irrelevant entirely to the thrill of the contest and the excitement of the night out. Both of which Paul conveyed excellantly in his story, a story which did not contain a reference to the mile rate clearly demonstrating its irrelevence to the occasion.

Better yet Pauls story did not contain a nonsical reference to a completely irrelevant notion of what could they have run at Menangle.

I may have expressed it poorly Bailey but I think we are on the same page, enjoy the racing forget about mile rates.

+ Reply to Thread