Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Up and coming 2yo's

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Harvey, Ross call me old fashioned but I was taught many many years ago that it was rude to fish for compliments or blow your own trumpet. Yes they are going faster but why wouldn't they be? Better stallions available, bigger track, hi tech carts etc. They may be showing speed but none of the 2yo's, and they couldn't really be expected to yet, are showing "class", and it is class not speed that takes a horse to the top.

Harvey, I imagine you would receive copies of trackbred? Ross maybe not. Some months ago there was an article on one of the legends of southern hemisphere breeding in Bob McCardle, where Bob said quite clearly that it was time we stopped judging our horses based on speed and started measuring them on "class" like the TB's do. I've no doubt Bob is right.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Problem is while speed is a measurable commodity from which class can be objectively assessed, class alone is based on a subjective opinion that is not objectively assessed but is the sole opinion of any and all who wish to express same.

to this day Bob still advertises and promotes his stock based on performance of close family members, siblings and progeny of same. That performance factor is speed rather than class.

Senior Member 2YO Big Max will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ross La Spina
    Hey dot,"not fishing for compliments"or "blowing my own trumpet" just very pleased to be lucky enough to have bred and race a nice baby instead of hearing all the time on here from certain people how the industry is in such a mess and everything is so terrible and the world is going to end,so please just relax and take it easy with the personal attacks.Thank you

Senior Member 2YO HISGEN65 will become famous soon enough HISGEN65's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lewin
    Occupation
    Full time job..sadly
    Horses
    Sign of Perfecshon-Highview Sign
    you can talk about speed & class as much as you want but without combining them with mental & physical tuffness the speed & class attributes more times than not wont
    be sustained long enough to survive the 2 & 3 YO vortex of waste that seems to be their ultimate demise..management & creed control is another story..

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Gee Ross, personal attack? And they say they breed em tough in QLD. If by certain people you mean me then feel free to say so, wouldn't want to inadvertantly upset someone else would you Ross. They say ignorance is bliss, but thats something I wouldn't know.

Teecee the TB's measure class by way of success in group and classic races, and have done for centuries. That is certainly not subjective and given the success and strength of their industry I would judge as very effective. Its not totally failsafe though as there certainly is a difference in the strength of the fields in different jurisdictions with varying levels of prizemoney, but as jurisdiction of group win and prizemoney earned are also made available it works pretty well. Using time as a measure of "class" obviously wouldn't work in TB's because of the multitute of variations in track configuration and conditions.

Harness tracks are more uniform but you aren't going to tell me that times recorded on half, five furlong and mile tracks should be considerred equally are you? Surely you aren't suggesting that Harvey's colt is say superior to Anne's colt on the basis of having a faster mark? The US distinguishes track size in their records, we don't and to save me looking it up TC I'm sure you can enlighten us as to which practice NZ follows?

Bob is a successfull business man, I'm sure he does promote his stock based on what the market currently expects, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't think or believe that there should be a change.

There is of course a subjective measure of class as well and Mel if you want to use the dictionary definition as your measure and believe that you have seen it in AEOU already then your welcome to. But for me class in a racehorse is along the lines of what Mah Sish showed in the Hunter Cup, what Smolda showed in the FFA, Smoken up in the SA Cup etc

Or in the TB's Lohnro in the Australian Cup, Black Caviar at Royal Ascot and a "naughty" Helmet at Randwick early in his career.

Junior Member Weanling Hollie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Hollie Smith
    Horses
    Wishing you could have the Bling Team
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post
    He looked like a seasoned 'three year' old up against babies Harvey. Are they sure he's just 2? Raced like he has been doing it for years, temperment, manners etc. Not one of yours is he?
    Saw him in person at Menangle!! outstanding for a 2 years old! quiet for a colt too

Another Good two year old around at Lukes is 'Allblack Stride'

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist

Thumbs up I thought YANKEE ROCKSTAR...

...showed CLASS in SPADES last night at Melton. Congrats Anne. He was outstanding.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
    Saw him in person at Menangle!! outstanding for a 2 years old! quiet for a colt too

Another Good two year old around at Lukes is 'Allblack Stride'
    Get to see him today, along with All Eyes On Us and Bling It On again. Interesting to see how the unbeaten Leeton colt Business In Motion goes on the big track today too.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    None of the four above mentioned horses disappointed today - the hiccough being Bling It On galloping on the top corner, dropping back to the tail, entitled to maybe run midfield but nearly running down the winner must have been both bitter sweet for Adam and Harvey - bigger fish to fry in the future.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Max View Post
    Hey dot,"not fishing for compliments"or "blowing my own trumpet" just very pleased to be lucky enough to have bred and race a nice baby instead of hearing all the time on here from certain people how the industry is in such a mess and everything is so terrible and the world is going to end,so please just relax and take it easy with the personal attacks.Thank you
    Not blowing your trumpet Ross. Super well done to you !!!

+ Reply to Thread