Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: drivers, the good, bad & desperate!

Member Yearling Toni will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Prescott
    It seems like if your opinion is in support of the big stables all of a sudden you are wearing rose coloured glasses. I watched the Cranbourne drive and Mach Alert looked to be racing right up the back of the horse in front and to me, looked like he could have been contacting the gig in front (although stewards report says he was contacting his own - if I interpretted that correctly) - so I think he really needed to come out at that point. I do think he still over raced Mach Alert and pushed too hard once he was out obviously, but again there is a fine line between trying and trying too hard.

I also think that if for instance Luke McCarthy was on Franco Jamar and made this mistake of not taking the gap quick enough - then maybe 10 weeks would be appropriate, but I havent see Andy McCarthy's name a lot - had a quick look and he is usually based in America, so has less experience driving in Australia and also driving this horse.

I personally think they were wanting to make an example of him.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    I'm really looking forward to seeing all the comments after the Teeny Teeny on Sat. Belinda has 3 horses in, including the 2 favourites(I part own both of them) and John has one in as well.

I'm sure some "expert" on here will be able to find "team driving" in the race....

For the record, my understanding of team driving, is where a generally inferior horse is "used" to benefit another more favoured horses chances and where if they were not stablemates, that move would not have been made. Ie taking a sit sprinter and pulling 3 wide to give a stablemate cover

There are numerous other instances where a stable has multiple runners that are not "team driving". it only appears that way because the horses are stablemates and the horse in question would have been driven the same way irrespective of who was going to be following.

I hope this makes sense!
    Last edited by mightymo; 01-17-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Banned Gelding mary will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mary hughes
    [QUOTE=Toni;24957]It seems like if your opinion is in support of the big stables all of a sudden you are wearing rose coloured glasses. I watched the Cranbourne drive and Mach Alert looked to be racing right up the back of the horse in front and to me, looked like he could have been contacting the gig in front (although stewards report says he was contacting his own - if I interpretted that correctly) - so I think he really needed to come out at that point. I do think he still over raced Mach Alert and pushed too hard once he was out obviously, but again there is a fine line between trying and trying too hard.

In the Cranbourne race he wasn't climbing over the horse in front . His horse was travelling as it had many times in the past for them. Lukes excuse was that his horses hooves were comming back hitting his own gig. He has given this horse many starts so that to me is impossible. He turned his whip around and took off just as his father reached the death seat. How appropriate .
    Gee, I thought Andy drove in Queensland before he came to Sydney . They also take advantage of runs that open in America.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymo View Post
    I'm really looking forward to seeing all the comments after the Teeny Teeny on Sat. Belinda has 3 horses in, including the 2 favourites(I part own both of them) and John has one in as well.

I'm sure some "expert" on here will be able to find "team driving" in the race....

For the record, my understanding of team driving, is where a generally inferior horse is "used" to benefit another more favoured horses chances and where if they were not stablemates, that move would not have been made. Ie taking a sit sprinter and pulling 3 wide to give a stablemate cover

There are numerous other instances where a stable has multiple runners that are not "team driving". it only appears that way because the horses are stablemates and the horse in question would have been driven the same way irrespective of who was going to be following.

I hope this makes sense!
    All you do on this forum lately is have a go at somebody who questions something about McCarthy. A few days ago you thought people were ludicrous and weren't willing to have a bar of what people said about last weeks race, and not much has changed with this latest post. No need for A McCarthy to appeal, mightymo just has to ring up NSW stewards and tell them they got it wrong.

Real Name
    mary hughes
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymo View Post

I hope this makes sense!

Just hope its your turn Harvey . Good luck

Real Name
    mary hughes
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    All you do on this forum lately is have a go at somebody who questions something about McCarthy. A few days ago you thought people were ludicrous and weren't willing to have a bar of what people said about last weeks race, and not much has changed with this latest post. No need for A McCarthy to appeal, mightymo just has to ring up NSW stewards and tell them they got it wrong.
    Well said Brendan, Hes name is Reid Sanders.

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    [VVV] Harvey paid me to say that Dot. You know how these high fliers are.
    VVV i'm familar with your position on the ethical totem pole, the views not great from there.

I see no need for you to tarnish Harvey's name.

Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    The rights and wrongs of this decision aside, it was not so long ago where a similar situation occurred here in Sydney only that a protest was fired in by the pocket sitting horse who actually went for the inside run when the leader drifted up the track BUT the driver of the leader clearly looked to his inside, saw the 2nd horse coming to his inside, duly drifted back down the track & closed the gap again to the point that he checked the pocket horse out of contention...and yet the protest was dismissed. Maybe a damned if you take the run, damned if you don't? If you're not the driver of the stablemate and don't take the run...do you still get the same amount of time? Do you get any time? Or is it just a case of someone trying to prove a point re: a stance on team driving and having the opportunity raise its head here to do some applicable sabre rattling? Inquiring minds would like to know (with thanks to Luca Derrico).
    Was wondering when this would come? The old smoke and mirrors, create a diversion trick hey VVV, when anyone is critical of McCarthy's. Sorry not likely to work we all seen it so many times before.

Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    It seems like if your opinion is in support of the big stables all of a sudden you are wearing rose coloured glasses. I watched the Cranbourne drive and Mach Alert looked to be racing right up the back of the horse in front and to me, looked like he could have been contacting the gig in front (although stewards report says he was contacting his own - if I interpretted that correctly) - so I think he really needed to come out at that point. I do think he still over raced Mach Alert and pushed too hard once he was out obviously, but again there is a fine line between trying and trying too hard.

I also think that if for instance Luke McCarthy was on Franco Jamar and made this mistake of not taking the gap quick enough - then maybe 10 weeks would be appropriate, but I havent see Andy McCarthy's name a lot - had a quick look and he is usually based in America, so has less experience driving in Australia and also driving this horse.

I personally think they were wanting to make an example of him.
    With respect Toni Andrew is a professional driver of considerable experience in Australia and the US, there was a run available to the inside of Excell Stride and Andrew did not take it. Excel Stride did not close the run on him, in fact Andrew also drifted sufficiently of the pegs to facilitate a run for Chariot King who was on his back.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Brendan

can you please show me where I "have had a go at somebody"???

From memory, I think I said " we will just have to agree to disagree..."
    Last edited by mightymo; 01-17-2013 at 04:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread