Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: drivers, the good, bad & desperate!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Just a question re team driving: Did anyone see anything wrong with the WA Pacing Cup the other night and how Livingontheinterest was driven?

I assume since no one has mentioned it, that every one thought that was not an example of team driving. Im not saying that it was, but just surprised that no one has even mentioned it, where as other forums are rampant about it

If that had been the McCarthys Im sure we would have all heard plenty by now!
    Last edited by mightymo; 01-17-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymo View Post
    I'm really looking forward to seeing all the comments after the Teeny Teeny on Sat. Belinda has 3 horses in, including the 2 favourites(I part own both of them) and John has one in as well.

I'm sure some "expert" on here will be able to find "team driving" in the race....

For the record, my understanding of team driving, is where a generally inferior horse is "used" to benefit another more favoured horses chances and where if they were not stablemates, that move would not have been made. Ie taking a sit sprinter and pulling 3 wide to give a stablemate cover

There are numerous other instances where a stable has multiple runners that are not "team driving". it only appears that way because the horses are stablemates and the horse in question would have been driven the same way irrespective of who was going to be following.

I hope this makes sense!
    Harvey I think you are taking a very narrow view on Team Driving. It actually comes in many forms, some more obvious then others. The important thing is that all stable/family runners are not only trying but are seen to be trying to avoid the perception of impropriety. NSW actually has several family dynasties often competing in the same race and very rarely have stewards seen fit to lay charges over the drives. They did however on this occasion over Andrew's handling of Franco Jamar and charged him accordingly.

Franco Jamars owners are perhaps not as well informed or as understanding as you are Harvey. The horse has been transferred to David Thorn.
    Last edited by dizzy; 01-17-2013 at 06:19 PM.

aussiebreno
    Brendan

can you please show me where I "have had a go at somebody"???

From memory, I think I said " we will just have to agree to disagree..."
    It is clear your intent of "some 'experts' on here" was to demean those who opinions disagreed with yours.

I think the WA Cup race drive did get queried on here, but certaintly the week before a lot was said when ITMQ got beat.

I can't speak for others, but I don't think this is a war against McCarthy, just a war on getting fair racing. Two other bad drives were pointed out in this very thread before discussion turned to the McCarthys race.
    Last edited by aussiebreno; 01-17-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    It is clear your intent of "some 'experts' on here" was to demean those who opinions disagreed with yours.

I think the WA Cup race drive did get queried on here, but certaintly the week before a lot was said when ITMQ got beat.

Did you have an issue with the WA pacing cup? ie. do you think that was team driving by the Hall camp

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Just a question re team driving: Did anyone see anything wrong with the WA Pacing Cup the other night and how Livingontheinterest was driven?

I assume since no one has mentioned it, that every one thought that was not an example of team driving. Im not saying that it was, but just surprised that no one has even mentioned it, where as other forums are rampant about it

If that had been the McCarthys Im sure we would have all heard plenty by now!
    Pretty sure I covered that on the WA Cup thread Harvey, Post #7 in part says "even with the beautiful suck into the race, it was good to see IMTQ back on top"

It probably wasn't as controversial a quote as you would expect but the intent in the wording is crystal clear...or atleast to me it was.

Member Yearling Toni will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Prescott
    [QUOTE=mary;24962]
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    It seems like if your opinion is in support of the big stables all of a sudden you are wearing rose coloured glasses. I watched the Cranbourne drive and Mach Alert looked to be racing right up the back of the horse in front and to me, looked like he could have been contacting the gig in front (although stewards report says he was contacting his own - if I interpretted that correctly) - so I think he really needed to come out at that point. I do think he still over raced Mach Alert and pushed too hard once he was out obviously, but again there is a fine line between trying and trying too hard.

In the Cranbourne race he wasn't climbing over the horse in front . His horse was travelling as it had many times in the past for them. Lukes excuse was that his horses hooves were comming back hitting his own gig. He has given this horse many starts so that to me is impossible. He turned his whip around and took off just as his father reached the death seat. How appropriate .
    Gee, I thought Andy drove in Queensland before he came to Sydney . They also take advantage of runs that open in America.
    You are right, I watched it again and where I was confusing myself is that he looked to contact the gig in front earlier in the race (also up the home straight but its not so clear on the replay when you enlarge the screen). I still dont think it was a bad run for him. I didnt think the McCarthy's had this horse for long, seems not long ago I saw him in a race in Queensland, although I dont really keep track of horses moving to and from.

I also dont know if Andy drove in Qld before Sydney, I do beleive I just explained I hadnt heard of him?!

I think people need to have a bit of a chill pill - I dont think anyone is "having a go" at anyone - and when someoen says something like that, it really brings the mood down. I think its hard to forget that sometimes you read your own intent into other people's writing and that it may be the case that wasnt the intent at all.

I honestly think if you have a look at any race with mutiple stable runners and you will find you can intepret some sort of team driving in there, no matter what the outcome is.

What do people think he would have got if they were not stable mates and it was a charge of not giving his horse a chance?

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    [QUOTE=Toni;24979]
    Quote Originally Posted by mary View Post

What do people think he would have got if they were not stable mates and it was a charge of not giving his horse a chance?
    Toni,

The 10 week suspension was on a charge of not driving his horse to win or obtain the best possible place. There was no mention of team driving or the involvement of stablemates.
    Had he been found guilty of team driving I would expect that a much longer disqualification would have resulted
    By comparison, his brother was also suspended for the same offence last Saturday when there was no apparent involvement of another "stablemate" and got 6 weeks.
    Last edited by eliteblood; 01-17-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Very nice air clearing there Trevor.

Banned Gelding mary will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mary hughes
    Franco Jamars owners are perhaps not as well informed or as understanding as you are Harvey. The horse has been transferred to David Thorn.

Thanks to Chris Barsby, who btw does a wonderful job ....ID13 Update; Franco Jamar has a bonechip on his knee, out for at least 4 months. Career now in doubt

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by mary View Post
    Thanks to Chris Barsby, who btw does a wonderful job ....ID13 Update; Franco Jamar has a bonechip on his knee, out for at least 4 months. Career now in doubt
    [VVV] Bugger. That's crap news. Hope he gets fixed up & is back soon.

+ Reply to Thread