Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoken Up---Hunter Cup

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin

Smoken Up---Hunter Cup

Can anyone tell me why Smoken Up is not in the betting for the Hunter Cup.
    I thought he was nominated

Real Name
    bailey martin
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
    The conditions of the race state that you have to start in a Standing Start race in the preceeding 12 months.

He, nor Im Themightyquinn have not and are therefore ineligible.

* Horses must be qualified to race from a Standing Start by Noon on Sunday 20 January 2013. * A horse must have contested and began safely in a minimum of one standing start race in the 12 months prior. * The winner of the following races will be exempt from ballot for this race - 2012 Kilmore Pacing Cup, 2012 New Zealand Cup and 2013 Shepparton Gold Cup. * This race is a leg of the Pacers Grand Circuit. * Acceptance Fee - $2, 000.
    NO CONCESSION CLAIMS
    Adam thanks for that but what an utter disgrace that the 2 top Grand Circuit performers and million $ earners last season, not to mention proven standing start horses at the top level can fall foul to such a race condition.
    So much for seeing the Best race the Best.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    Quote Originally Posted by p plater View Post
    Adam thanks for that but what an utter disgrace that the 2 top Grand Circuit performers and million $ earners last season, not to mention proven standing start horses at the top level can fall foul to such a race condition.
    So much for seeing the Best race the Best.
    It's up to owners to qualify their horse for a standing start race, however both horses would more than likely cop a 30m handicap in the Hunter Cup so I guess this is why they didn't nominate, however Blackie and Elsu did it I believe from 30....?

Real Name
    bailey martin
    Quote Originally Posted by Maorisidol View Post
    It's up to owners to qualify their horse for a standing start race, however both horses would more than likely cop a 30m handicap in the Hunter Cup so I guess this is why they didn't nominate, however Blackie and Elsu did it I believe from 30....?
    Ash, interesting comment that "Owners to qualify their horse".
    Smoken Up does appear in the nominations and that raises a point for discussion; What handicap would they get. Is the handicapping based on recent results to even up the field or is their performances from years past the basis and as you say cop 30 mtrs, which would almost make it impossible based on recent results.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    NZ horses certainly get the best opportunity to qualify under the standing start clause with so many SS programmed year round on all sorts of surfaces and conditions. In all fairness if Australian connections really had targeted the Hunter Cup they had 12 months to find just one suitable SS event, hardly a huge hurdle to overcome. And the clause of having atleast one SS in 12 months does to a small extent go towards the protection of punters pinning their faith on a horse stepping when tapes are released.

Will be lambasted for this but to me the Hunter Cup has been a traditional landmark for toughness and quality almost year in year out. This years edition is B+ grade. I would expect it to be ultra-competitive all the same.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Ten metre max handicap for Hunter Cup

http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=103289

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post
    NZ horses certainly get the best opportunity to qualify under the standing start clause with so many SS programmed year round on all sorts of surfaces and conditions. In all fairness if Australian connections really had targeted the Hunter Cup they had 12 months to find just one suitable SS event, hardly a huge hurdle to overcome. And the clause of having atleast one SS in 12 months does to a small extent go towards the protection of punters pinning their faith on a horse stepping when tapes are released.

Will be lambasted for this but to me the Hunter Cup has been a traditional landmark for toughness and quality almost year in year out. This years edition is B+ grade. I would expect it to be ultra-competitive all the same.
    Would that condition have been published 12 months ago? They only publish races 3 months out from now?

Auckland Reactor and Our Blackbird both ODS but still eligible.

Using ITMQ as example only. Looked WA stands next 3 months and assuming typical of all throughout year. M0 or better. He cops 40m+ handicap in stand over there? So no point competing (I'm using as example only and not bagging him!!!!).

So has to run around in one anyway to be eligible for biggest handicap in Aust?

Like saying So You Think has to lump 70kg in a 2 mile race to be eligible for Melbourne Cup?

Real Name
    bailey martin
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Would that condition have been published 12 months ago? They only publish races 3 months out from now?

Auckland Reactor and Our Blackbird both ODS but still eligible.

Using ITMQ as example only. Looked WA stands next 3 months and assuming typical of all throughout year. M0 or better. He cops 40m+ handicap in stand over there? So no point competing (I'm using as example only and not bagging him!!!!).

So has to run around in one anyway to be eligible for biggest handicap in Aust?

Like saying So You Think has to lump 70kg in a 2 mile race to be eligible for Melbourne Cup?
    Only difference is Paul the thoroughbreds don't shoot themselves in the foot like the HRV has here. They want the best horses and the bigger turnover.

Lucky for us, they couldn't think of some stupid race rule to stuff up the Victoria Cup which was a great race to watch.

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Quote Originally Posted by p plater View Post
    Only difference is Paul the thoroughbreds don't shoot themselves in the foot like the HRV has here. They want the best horses and the bigger turnover.

Lucky for us, they couldn't think of some stupid race rule to stuff up the Victoria Cup which was a great race to watch.
    Bailey, the HRV should not have to spoon feed owners/trainers the conditions of a race. The onus is on the connections, in this instance.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Totally right Leigh. We don't want the best horses running around in the best race.

Next year Albury, Port Pirie, anywhere close to Vic border, putting on a 800m, stand. Don't have to win it, just bowl around and be eligible for Hunter Cup.

+ Reply to Thread