Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stewards & Driver/Trainers Professionalsim (or lackthereof)

Senior Member 4YO HaroldParker will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Bob Parker

Stewards & Driver/Trainers Professionalsim (or lackthereof)

To cut an old story short, I've chatted with a few of guys on the board here, I lived in the States for a 3 year stint up until recently but I've spent 3-4 months a year there, work / marriage / kids for pretty much the last decade. I own a place not far from Columbia University NY, 15 minutes from Yonkers. I can see Harold Park (RIP) from where I live here in Sydney.

I've never owned a horse here, however I've owned quite a few horses with a handful of mates over there, 40-50 or thereabouts, perhaps a few more, the majority out of claimers. A good mate of mine does form for one of the leading barns as well as a couple of drivers there, it's a full time gig with an assistant. The leading drivers in the East will drive in 50-60 races a week or more.

My point is, as an owner or punter, you rarely if ever leave the track not satisfied with the performance / professionalism of the driver. Sure they make the odd mistake, it's rare and they certainly hear about it when they do.

I like to have a punt, I'm not a big punter by any means and it's not that easy to get on here anyway but I see more examples here of a driver / trainer who haven't done their homework in one week than you'd see in 12 months over in the States.

I'm going to finish my rant after another pint and this device is about to die. I'll be back...

Real Name
    Bob Parker
    I had a manifesto for Part 2 but the power is out and I'm on my phone.

Washmepockets in the 4th @ Melton on Saturday night was given ZERO chance by young Brosnan. Both the driver nor the trainer had put much thought into winning if three fenced was their plan. If I were the owner I would be paying only three of the four weeks due this month. This horse missed the start 50m four starts earlier and very nearly won the Cobram Cup. Three starts earlier he parked outside Ballarat Cup winning Mah Sish, eyeballed him from the 900m, 26.9 3Q !!, 27.8 home finishing within 5m in a 1.56MR for 2240m.

Back from a couple more Country Cups into a M1 - M3 Mobile from the 2. Outside the Fav, who is very good but drawn three out on the BL, Washmepockets was the clear second elect and only viable threat. The lead wasn't there, Justice drawn inside with a stablemate trailing, so after allowing the outside couple to find their position surely it's all eyes on the Fav before making a move. Two scenarios, get the 1-1 trailing Smolda or if National Gallery is out in front of the Fav, park her. If the Fav is good enough to peel 4 wide off that kind of cover, to run you down, all kudos to him.

It wasn't just the decision to go three fenced. Persevering for the sprint lane with no thought of otherwise when the trailing horse was going nowhere from the 400m was as bad.

My manifesto must wait but this is an example. I'm talking through my kick but it's a blatantly obvious one and it's repeated far too often and without question.

I'm not done : )

Real Name
    Bob Parker
    If Todd McCarthey got 6 weeks for his drive a month ago, Brosnan would be mowing lawns until 2014.

Banned Filly little fish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Username deleted
    Obviously some drivers are better than others, but as an owner how do you address these things with trainers and/or drivers without somebody getting offended?

Real Name
    Bob Parker
    Quote Originally Posted by little fish View Post
    Obviously some drivers are better than others, but as an owner how do you address these things with trainers and/or drivers without somebody getting offended?
    The owner pays the bills. Trainer / Drivers should be professional enough to accept criticism from owners and questioning from stewards.

When you see obvious examples and it's far too often here of a trainer and driver (or both) who clearly haven't done their homework, drive negatively etc the stewards should be all over them on behalf of the owner and more importantly the punting public.

Whether a one horse barn or scores, and mistakes will be made even by the very best, but there's be no excuses for a total lack of professionalism and we need teams of stewards who know their form to police it.

We have a ways to go.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Gday Harold. Tried to find out on net but no luck. What are the drivers paid over in US? Guess varies from state to state even club to club but what are they paid? Flat fee? % of stake? Cheers.

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Paul, I've no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe drivers aren't paid a driving fee per se in the US. Its a % of prizemoney only, and some may be on retainers.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Gday Harold. Tried to find out on net but no luck. What are the drivers paid over in US? Guess varies from state to state even club to club but what are they paid? Flat fee? % of stake? Cheers.
    G'day Paul,
    in the "land of the free" I reckon ( just guessing of course) that the fees are not regulated, as regulation is not really in their DNA, hey maybe they are driving for tips?

and BOB,
    just a sobering thought mate, you can't win them all, and

a) the unforeseen regularly rears its head when your trying to make mutiple decisions instantaneously.

b) Hindsight is a wonderfull thing, but it's just that...hindsight.

pretty easy to bag people about how they do things that you don't have the skill/talent/guts/time /experience/etc etc to do.

we all have different attributes to offer, I just don't think its a fair call to bag someone for doing something less than perfect that you cannot do at all!

My Mum and Dad used to say "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"....I don't hear so many people use that old line anymore and I suspect it's because it has become more fashionable to cast aspersion on others than to be honest about yourself.

cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by HaroldParker View Post
    The owner pays the bills. Trainer / Drivers should be professional enough to accept criticism from owners and questioning from stewards.

When you see obvious examples and it's far too often here of a trainer and driver (or both) who clearly haven't done their homework, drive negatively etc the stewards should be all over them on behalf of the owner and more importantly the punting public.

Whether a one horse barn or scores, and mistakes will be made even by the very best, but there's be no excuses for a total lack of professionalism and we need teams of stewards who know their form to police it.

We have a ways to go.
    Just thought this one might need to come out of the closet again,

The Riders in the Stand

There's some that ride the Robbo style, and bump at every stride;
    While others sit a long way back, to get a longer ride.
    There's some that ride like sailors do, with legs and arms, and teeth;
    And some ride on the horse's neck, and some ride underneath.
    But all the finest horsemen out -- the men to Beat the Band --
    You'll find amongst the crowd that ride their races in the Stand.
    They'll say "He had the race in hand, and lost it in the straight."
    They'll show how Godby came too soon, and Barden came too late.
    They'll say Chevalley lost his nerve, and Regan lost his head;
    They'll tell how one was "livened up" and something else was "dead" --
    In fact, the race was never run on sea, or sky, or land,
    But what you'd get it better done by riders in the Stand.
    The rule holds good in everything in life's uncertain fight;
    You'll find the winner can't go wrong, the loser can't go right.
    You ride a slashing race, and lose -- by one and all you're banned!
    Ride like a bag of flour, and win -- they'll cheer you in the Stand.
    Banjo Patterson.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Gotta chuckle at this one.
    Four horses mentioned....
    National Gallery..one of the very best mares in Australia.
    Smolda... very near if not at the top ranking of a vintage crop of now 4yo pacers.
    Mah Sish ...long recognised in NZ as one of the very real up and coming GC performers.

And then there's poor old Washmepockets... too slow to get out of his own road in NZ Probably one of the luckiest horses around, his connections finding an Aussie to buy him for more...(and good luck to that buyer)....than the knackers yard agent.

And now I read of the incompetence of the connections and officials from someone with the gall to think he is in the same league and that punters have been ripped off when he turns in an effort in keeping with his real ability....Well perhaps it's not the washmepockets I once knew....reincarnated maybe...??No?? o well. I remember reading on here in the not too distant past someone wondering about NZ horses being improved by Aussie trainers ....This must be one of those extreme examples.

On a more serious note Bob.. be wary of bagging persons on here when talking through your "kick".
    Last edited by teecee; 01-30-2013 at 12:41 AM.

+ Reply to Thread