Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Somebeachsomewhere Stats

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,

Somebeachsomewhere Stats

Does anyone have access to information that would update the statistics in the following extract from Hanover Shoe Farms website to reflect the whole of the 2YO season ?

"The Beach’s first crop are now two year olds and in it he has done what no other sire in the history of Harness Racing has accomplished. His two year olds have already earned an all-time record of $4,642,586. He is the sire of thirty one 1.55 or faster two year olds.
    He has also demonstrated the ability to sire great fillies as well as colts. His fillies have thus far earned an astonishing $2,603,799"

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post
    Does anyone have access to information that would update the statistics in the following extract from Hanover Shoe Farms website to reflect the whole of the 2YO season ?

"The Beach’s first crop are now two year olds and in it he has done what no other sire in the history of Harness Racing has accomplished. His two year olds have already earned an all-time record of $4,642,586. He is the sire of thirty one 1.55 or faster two year olds.
    He has also demonstrated the ability to sire great fillies as well as colts. His fillies have thus far earned an astonishing $2,603,799"
    Can update part from here.

http://stars.ustrotting.com/stallion...tallion_id=133

Total 1:55 32
    Total Earnings $ 4,797,075

Can open an account and get more info I think.

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Trevor as Paul has said if you want the whole "shootin match" I think you'll need to open an account on the USTA's Pathways system. I don't have an account so I cant tell you exactly whats available there.

I think though what your probably after is data for promotional material for your fillies at the sale so this might help

http://www.classicfamilies.net/CF/Of...&SE=Sex&AD=ASC

SBSW does have remarkably good stats so far for fillies, almost 2:1 classic winners as opposed to colts, though it is of course for only one crop so far. If you are a believer in "X-factor" you could mount a pretty strong case for it here. You could also mount a case for "X-factor" in regards to SBSW best colt as well.

You might also want to use this-doesn't get as much recognition here as it probably should

http://www.classicfamilies.net/CF/Fa...amilyNumber=U1

Of course you may already know all this
    Last edited by dizzy; 02-08-2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling!!!

Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Hi Dot,

Yes I am composing an advert for the fillies. The quote from the Hanover website is powerful but the figures are at a point in time slightly before the season end. I prefer to use accurate season end figures if I can find them.
    I'm not seeing much X-factor significance in SBSW as a sire. Am I missing something?
    I hear you were a visitor to Teeny Lodge recently.

Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Trevor, I'd suggest you email Hanover and ask them, their website may not be up to date but they obviously know where to find the data! Are you familiar with the book "The X Factor" by Marianna Haun? It is an interesting concept but not without critisicm and more then a few skeptics. Yes I was at Teeny Lodge earlier in the week, I think I'm in the good books this time, no bad news and I remembered the cake!

As another thought you could just email the UStrotting site direct, I found them very helpful in the past when I asked them how many mile tracks there are in the US, they sent me the whole track directory! Only 16 mile tracks and around 800 half and five furlong ones when you count both pari mutueal and fair grounds in the country!
    Last edited by dizzy; 02-08-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: thought of something!

Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    I haven't read the book but have some understanding of the x-factor concept. From my understanding, however, I'm not seeing where SBSW as a sire fits the theory. What am I missing?
    The cake must have been good because there was none left there yesterday :-)

Real Name
    dot schmidt
    SBSW has a presumed double copy large heart gene mare in two X factor positions in his maternal pedigree. Therefore you can, if you are a believer, mount a case that its quite likely he himself has the large heart gene and a large heart based on his performances on the track. If your not a believer then you think thats nonsense, and that may be so.

As a sire, if he indeed has the large heart gene on his X chromosone, if there is such a thing, then he would be passing it on to all of his daughters which may be why it appears to date that he is siring more classic filly winners then colts. Of course the fillies also get an X chromosone with (probably mostly) a small heart gene from their dams and in some/many of them this X may dominate the one from the sire so there will be some ordinary fillies as well. If he becomes a very good broodmare sire in time then believers would also attribute this to the "X factor".

Captain Treacherous is SBSW best colt by far and whilst he obviously did not get an X from his sire you can mount a case here if your so inclined that he got the large heart gene from his mother. She also has a presumed double copy large heart gene mare in 2 X factor positions and whilst she was unraced or was that lightly raced cant remember right now, her full sister was a great mare and both of them are full sisters in blood to Art Major who is obviously another star of the track and breeding shed.

Of course X factor could be complete bumkum and there are many people who would argue that it is nonsence and SBSW was just a freak and his results at stud are a result of covering great mares from great families. They could be right but I think there is more to it then that and not just or possibly even x factor.

I thought the cake was good, no I didn't bake it, but it was not very big!

Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    I can see Tar Heel and Bret Hanover in x-factor positions in the 5th generation and that it is theoretical possible that SBSW has inherited a big heart via an x chromosome passed down from one of these stallions.
    I find it interesting and am open-minded about it but am yet to be convinced.

Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Trevor I am partly convinced by X factor in some respects but have significant doubts over its use in practical fashion. Interesting that you mentioned Tar Heel/Bret Hanover in X factor positions as they do provide another significant x factor presumed trace to Oniska. Helen Hanover and Margeret Parish were the mares I was thinking of so that actually gives SBSW traces to 3 presumed significant mares.

Autopsy results on TB's at least do confirm the existence of individuals with large healthy hearts, as opposed to unhealthy enlarged hearts, which obviously must have occured as a result of their genetic heritage. Science has confirmed that the X chromosone does cary more genetic material then the Y and that certain traits can be sex linked, which could include the large heart gene. Practically speaking though in our herd today X factor traces are extremely prolific and champions of the track and breeding shed still comparatively rare so its hard to fathom the significance of X factor alone in the production of champions, though you could argue it could have influenced the overall improvement of the breed. Imo if an x factor as such exists it probably needs the presence of additional genes or gene interaction to bring it to the fore and into play as a component of the make up of a superior horse.

+ Reply to Thread