Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Aiken

triplev123
    A few bits & pieces really spun my head at that sale Ben.
    Over the course of the Sat/Sun and particularly so on Sunday I saw a number of pretty unusual things where people were subjecting horses to when they were inspecting them & then later on I got talking to three high profile trainers & another bloke who's a high profile trainer/driver and so I thought I'd seize the chance to ask.
    I listed a number of things I'd seen done by other trainers/buyers etc and asked them if they could tell me what those tests/actions etc were aimed at revealing. They all looked kind of surprised & said they had no idea what they would be trying to find out.
    There was this one particularly odd thing that a few blokes were doing whereby they'd stand close to the offside of a yearling but level with the back legs, then they'd pick up the tail and hold it parallel to the ground and towards them, basically out at a right angle to the horse's rump, and they'd rock the horse's rear end from side to side.
    I've seen some odd things in my time...such as blokes wandering around out there with stethoscopes & so on...but I've asked quite a lot of people including our Vet and nobody can really shed any light on the value of /aim of the grab the tail and rock them from side to side routine...so at the moment that one pretty much takes the cake and goes to the top of the list.

Member Filly BenScadden will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ben Scadden
    Wow, that's a bizarre one. I've been to a stack of sales in Australia, New Zealand and North America ... but I've never seen that one before. Some weird hock stability test or something. Sounds like total rubbish to me.

I usually just pick up their feet, watch them walk, do the standard stuff ... nothing above that. I think after a a bit of time you can work out if you fundamentally like the look of a horse or not almost straight away - then it's a matter of checking a few specifics like joints, structure, etc.

Maybe the old tail-grabbing rump rockers are geniuses - and we're the crazy ones!!

triplev123
    It's a beauty huh? Pound for Pound, the strangest thing I've seen done at a Yearling Sale that's for sure. It's quite possible there's a level of mischief in it too because a Trainer that I know told me that a very well known, long-time successful Trainer from the Great Western area of VIC is from time to time given to doing rather odd inspection related things, stuff that he makes up on the spot, just to see if others start to follow suit. Now THAT'S FUNNY.

+ Reply to Thread