Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the real trainer?

Banned Filly little fish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Username deleted

Who is the real trainer?

Luke McCarthy or Belinda?

Clayton Tonkin or Emma Stewart?

I did a google search of Clayton Tonkin just to find out a bit more info, and was surprised to find the 2nd top result was about him getting 12 months for juicing his horses.

I know Mark Purdon has his own history with blue magic. Luke has had his own issues over the past year or so. Smoken Up lost an inter!!!

What does the poor owner do coming into the industry who wants transparency and integrity it sure seems a difficult task to find a successful stable where everything is legit and above board.

Or am I just being a cynic here?

Some of these stables sure do get a LOT of young horses to go VERY fast.

Nobody seems to talk about this much - all I really hear about is how great they can train.

If everyone is above board and gifted then can I ask why all the murkiness and history??

Does anyone else share my cynicism?

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    A lot of people sure have doubts i definetily do but like most people give them benefit of doubt.

I have been told Peter Tonkin Emma Stewarts partner and Claytons father is a qualified chemist not sure if true or not

Real Name
    Username deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    A lot of people sure have doubts i definetily do but like most people give them benefit of doubt.

I have been told Peter Tonkin Emma Stewarts partner and Claytons father is a qualified chemist not sure if true or not
    I don't know much about the history of all these people. I'm relatively new to this industry and I have made little effort to get 'networked' other than racing horses with my trainer and whoever he might introduce me to from time to time.

I think an easily accessible database of all industry participants - drivers trainers stablehands stewards and other paid employees such as who does the barrier draws, all the vets, owners, everyone's history re successes and penalties for cheating or whatever - would be a handy and informative tool for those wanting to learn more about who all these people really are.

Something like LinkedIn I guess - with everyone's employment background and record easily accessible.

I struggle to get my head around how easy it is to get done for something then just switch the horses over to the missus and it's business as usual like nothing ever happened. I may be ignorant and wrong but it looks like a scam to me.

Member Yearling Toni will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Prescott
    I think you are probably a little off.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought they shut the loophole down where if one trainer got disqualified, then the horses couldnt just be transferred to a partners name?

What the poor owner does is makes themselves aware of who is actually training their horse and makes sure they are happy for that trainer to train their horse. If they arent, they pull the horse and find a new trainer or give it a go themselves? You cant enter into horse ownership blindly and hope for the best. It sure sounds like you have done your homework so I think everyone would be capable of doing the same or finding someone to help them out.

I personally beleive that most of the big stables would be above board and legit - they have so many horses competing, surely they cant be absolute geniuses to make sure nothing ever swabs - They would be spending all their time on scheming and no time on training (Am I wrong?).

Also, Luke McCarthy was never found guilty of anything - unfortunately for him it seems people still seem to think he has done something wrong?

Real Name
    Username deleted
    Also, Luke McCarthy was never found guilty of anything - unfortunately for him it seems people still seem to think he has done something wrong?
    See this is where I get confused because I have been told he wasn't found not guilty rather hrnsw decided to not contest his legal action for some reason. (Costs? Buggered up a sample?)
    Therefore the charges etc got dropped?

Why is Belinda McCarthy listed as the trainer? What is the factual reason for it? Do you know where I'm coming from you put everything together and things seem a bit nqr so to speak.

Real Name
    Toni Prescott
    If the charges were dropped, there was no way he could be found either guilty or not guilty - it didnt get to that point - they couldnt prove the charges because the sample was behaving in a way no sample has ever behaved at all, if I remember correctly, 4 experts on each side were employed and pretty much all they could agree to disagree on was that it was probably contaminated. (Again someone correct me if im wrong).

I have no idea why Belinda is the trainer, but I have heard someone say on here if you go to the races you will see her working her butt off - so its not just a front, she is actually working with the horses. And I also think where there are multiple runners in a race from the same trainer, they have to report something to the stewards, which would be her job. I doubt you could do that if the horses were merely in your name for some other reason, you would need a pretty good knowledge of your horses for that?

I also think this might allow Luke to pick which horses he drives and also take on outside drives (while I was looking through the fields I noticed he was driving some horses he doesnt train - not sure if this is a regular occurance anyway), which I think seems sensible. Why do you see a problem with it?

Thats just mainly what I have picked up in here, I dont have anything to back it up and im open to correction if im wrong...

Real Name
    Username deleted
    From my experience in business if a company has shall we say a 'tainted' history and the directors listed are not the real people in charge there is a strong likelihood that it is a shonky ship.

No particular reason for bringing this up today and I'm not trying to taint the McCarthys. It is something I have wondered about for a long time now and thought I'd ask the forum what they thought.

Real Name
    Toni Prescott
    Im just giving an outsiders opinion, so someone more involved might have more to say. I think having someone else train horses so you can concentrate on driving is a smart business decision, not a shonky one, but I always like to give the benefit of the doubt.

I would think it relates to a lot of partnerships and not just the McCarthys and im sure there would be many where there are two involved but only one listed as a trainer. If you were training with your wife or brother or friend what would you do?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Its the same with Maree/John Caldow. If the driver is also the trainer, he cant drive outside horses in any race where he has a horse engaged. This way the driver can drive his best chance of success in a race

Real Name
    Username deleted
    No offence but I find this a scoffable joke. I was at the APG yearling sales in Melbourne and Emilio Rosati was with Luke McCarthy every step of the way. If Emilio said jump Luke would've said how high. There is no way known Luke isn't the main man.
    Last edited by teecee; 02-24-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Closed Thread