Roll With Joe
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the real trainer?

Banned Filly little fish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Username deleted
    My point is that it was Luke who was by his side not his missus.

Look if it's legal and there is a legitimate logistical reason for putting the horses in her name then fine. But lets not live in fairyland and pretend that she is the real trainer who is in charge. The suggestion that Luke might want to drive for other stables is crazy - if I had a horse with them and he chose another stable's horse over mine I'd go apesh-t.
    Last edited by teecee; 02-24-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Member Yearling Toni will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Prescott
    Well to me its a business choice they have made just like all the other duos mentioned. he can train in his name but chooses not to for whatever reasons and as far as I can tell thats legal, or im sure it would have been shut down by now.

As far as going to the sales - just because he isnt listed as a trainer doesnt mean he doesnt know how to pick a good horse - I really dont see how that has any bearing on who trains the horses. Im sure a lot of people wouldnt mind his opinion on the yearlings!!

Again, I ask what would you do if you were in this situation of being in a parntership where both can train and one can drive???

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Well to me its a business choice they have made just like all the other duos mentioned. he can train in his name but chooses not to for whatever reasons and as far as I can tell thats legal, or im sure it would have been shut down by now.

As far as going to the sales - just because he isnt listed as a trainer doesnt mean he doesnt know how to pick a good horse - I really dont see how that has any bearing on who trains the horses. Im sure a lot of people wouldnt mind his opinion on the yearlings!!

Again, I ask what would you do if you were in this situation of being in a parntership where both can train and one can drive???
    Yes, it was a business decision. If he hadn't transferred when he did (with the positive swab saga) there was every chance the horses would have been taken of him and Belinda. Up until then Luke had not transferred any horses. That is the one and only reason the horses are now in Belinda's name. Watch them be transferred back to Luke should Belinda ever get a positive swab. Business as usual alright.

aussiebreno
    It's been a busy day at HRNSW head office today with a number of trainers applications.

Alex Alchin
    Mrs Thorn
    Mrs Carroll

But I guess it is so their brother/wife can just concentrate on driving huh. Just like Kevin Pizzutto is now concentrating on washing the dishes and driving while K Crouch trains them. All about a business decision!

Real Name
    Toni Prescott
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    It's been a busy day at HRNSW head office today with a number of trainers applications.

Alex Alchin
    Mrs Thorn
    Mrs Carroll

But I guess it is so their brother/wife can just concentrate on driving huh. Just like Kevin Pizzutto is now concentrating on washing the dishes and driving while K Crouch trains them. All about a business decision!
    You are blurring the line. Luke is legally allowed to train in his own name. Once people are disqualified, they are not allowed to legally train in their own name and therefore it becomes more of a necessity to transfer them into someone elses name. (Just like all the other combinations mentioned above as well, I dont feel comfortable discussing solely the McCarthys because they are certainly not the only ones out there doing this)

I also dont think it would be business as usual. What, would a brother just take on the training of his brothers horses for no monetary gain, just out of the goodness of his heart?? I dont know, I havent been in that situation and I dont train, but if my brother or partner couldnt train and asked me to take the reins, I would certainly be getting paid for having my name there, thats for sure.

And while we are on topic, just who do you transfer them to? If owners want their horses to continue training the way they have, you would transfer them to someone who knows how to train like that. Isnt it up to the owners who they want them transferred?

Anyway, I always thought it was up the owners who trained their horses. So if an owner feels uncomfortable about transferring them to someone who is related to their previous trainer, they always have the option of transferring them elsewhere.

aussiebreno
    Belinda trained that horse all along, it wasnt in Lukes name and then transferred to Belinda.
    http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=97792

"The harsh sentence handed down to Luke McCarthy is likely to affect many around him including owners and staff with officials denying Belinda McCarthy the opportunity to take over the reins at the Cobbity stable, although the Cobbity horseman has plans in place to ensure his owners and staff are as unaffected as possible. " Im consulting my lawyers as we speak and working towards a right of appeal, either way I will make sure the horses still race and my owners are looked after. I've spoken to most and they're all very supportive," said McCarthy."

Luke refers as 'my owners' not 'our' owners (you know how Emilio and Luke walked hand in hand according to above poster?). It is quite clear from that article why the horses were being transferred. To look after the owners in case the worst happened and Luke got time. Belinda took the reins due to all this. Not for any other reason.
    Last edited by teecee; 02-24-2013 at 06:31 PM.

Real Name
    Toni Prescott
    If belinda has trained that horse all along, then its not such a stretch to beleive she is now a trainer.

Either way - Luke was never disqualified so I dont really see what the problem is?

And I dont even know why it comes down all to him. I also spotted that A Siejka is training in her name when I always thought it was P Russo (correct me if im wrong), but why isnt that considered shady after he was stood down?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Its quite simple. Brenno doesnt like the McCarthys - he's not interested in what anyone else does or does not do.

Banned Filly little fish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Username deleted
    Someone could just as easily say you race horses successfully with Luke so you will back him up blindly to the hilt.

I certainly have nothing against the McCarthy stable and I think pidgeonholing this as an anti-McCarthy crusade is completely missing the point.

This is about all of them that strike a bit of trouble and conveniently transfer everything over to the missus, or the stable foreman, or the old man, or whoever else they trust but who isn't really the head trainer. I think it smells fishy in every case where it happens because I think it is more or less a sneaky loophole type way of circumventing the penalties.
    Last edited by little fish; 02-22-2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    "I certainly have nothing against the McCarthy stable and I think pidgeonholing this as an anti-McCarthy crusade is completely missing the point."

Exactly.

"Someone could just as easily say you race horses successfully with Luke so you will back him up blindly to the hilt."

Anybody who knows me, would know that is simply incorrect. I have had horses previously with trainers who were found to be cheating. They know longer train any horses for me.

The difference here with Luke and some of the others, is that Luke has never been disqualified and can train horses in his own name if he so desired.

Closed Thread