Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Media Watch: Chris Barsby

Junior Member Weanling scottbarnard will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    It goes to the thoroughbred industry. That's the point.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by scottbarnard View Post
    aussiebreno not a cash windfall for harness racing. That's the point. Racing Queensland is throwing a few crumbs to the poor. The amalgamation of the codes perpetrated by Qld State Labour is to the detriment of harness and greyhound racing and represents a takeover by the thoroughbred code. If the plan proceeds this will result in the slow death of harness racing in Queensland. There will be no new track like Menangle or Melton, just a proposal for a joint facility at Deagon not owned by the harness industry which will lose ownership of a valuable resource, Albion Park in exchange for effectively becoming a tenant. Moonee Valley is an example of the failure of this type of arrangement.
    Ok, didnt realise the thoroughbreds wanted to have it with us inside it. If they get their OWN track out of it all is good otherwise its a worry.

aussiebreno
    This weeks nomination comes through the form of Andrew Georgiou.

http://www.gazetteonline.com.au/inbrief.html

When he gets to talking about Bathurst and the 3yo colts...In the Chalice, there could be one or two interstaters come back for a crack following unsuccessful raids at two, including the talented Modern Slippa. Excuse me Andrew since when was Wagga not apart of NSW? Or is it Bathurst that isnt in NSW?

triplev123
    Hahahahahaha. Love a good Media Watch post. Nice work breno.
    He may well have a point though, some of you Riverina blokes would form your own State if you could. Roger Strong for Premier!

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    Hahahahahaha. Love a good Media Watch post. Nice work breno.
    He may well have a point though, some of you Riverina blokes would form your own State if you could. Roger Strong for Premier!
    Sad thing is the local paper (if you could call it that) has ran front page stories with people saying we should become our own state.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Aussiebreno

That must be one sad paper ?

Member Gelding Village Kid will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Craig Kavanagh
    Occupation
    Finance
    Notice Chris had another crack Friday night at Torque in Motion being left out of the Ladyship Mile after her win at the Gold Coast.

Gotta admire his parochialism if nothing else

aussiebreno
    When Sushi Sushi went to Wagga last week there was a story in the local rag.
    http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/ne...s/2191463.aspx

Matthew Harris; trainer of good horses such as Quick Approval and Wreck Tangles, had a horse in the race; Wry Tangles.

Harris had this to say, remembering this was probably done on the spot over the phone and Harris is a horse trainer; not a politician or an expert media man.

"I'd prefer not to race against him," Harris said yesterday. Perfectly honest and fair assessment

"There is no real gain for anyone other than his trainer and maybe the Wagga club. Well yeah thats true; Harris probably hasn't seen things from the point of view of Sushi Sushi though where he needs the run and a run in a heat to go to the semis.

"I was disappointed when I knew he was in it. We've got to feather our own nest and try and make ends meet. He says he is disapointed; so I believe the inference about visitors coming and stealing prizemoney is of disapoint and not of anger. He is only saying what every other trainer thinks when a situation like this happens. Also, HRNSW knows this happens as well and hence Carnival of Cups have introduced 'local only' races.

"You can't deny him a start in the race, we've just got to accept it and get on with it." Here Harris acknowledges Sushi Sushi is perfectly entitled to start.

Harris also goes on to say he is racing for 2nd.

Harris, untrained in the media and in an on the spot interview attracted two articles criticising him. Well the articles referred to 'rival trainers' but its clear its Harris (if it was about rival trainers in general well you'd have an article every meeting on it). One was in the local rag from the CEO of the Wagga Club Graeme White. It basically said criticism of Sushi Sushi was unfounded as he was eligible for the race. Harris all but said this when he said you cant deny him a start. I dont have proof of the article on the internet for you all to see but it was grossly unfair on Harris as it shows his words and disapointment were misconstrued (I most likely have spelt that wrong) and makes him look like a bad guy from people who had carefully thought about and written articles. Remember he said "you can't deny him a start".

The second article was from 'The Hayes File'. He must have spilt his Hamburgler all over the article because this man is trained in the media so making mistaken inferences and offering carefully constructed and thought about criticism isn't something he should take lightly. But he still did it. He made a snide remark in his opening sentence http://www.hrnsw.com.au/hrnsw-media-release188.html. I would have thought a man of many weight divisions above Harris wouldn't have had to have done such a thing so publicly behind a pen. Snide remarks like that are what made the Harnesslink articles censored (yes there were other more serious comments).

Harris's comments were, for want of a better term, openly cliche. My definition of this term is where sport players may give cliche answers such as Yes we are trying to win (which I define as closed cliche) Harris said what most thought in a way many would have put it. For this his punishment was two articles that criticised him. Local media is a friend of harness racing. The CEO of Wagga knows this as he has a media background and he does a great, I repeat, great job of advertising the club through the local rag. I also hope Mr Hayes knows this. So when a trainer takes time out to talk to a reporter, something I know many don't like do doing as it is - even when they win, don't criticise him. He may not do it again if he is going to cop flak. Because next time the reporter rings Harris up Harris may decline to comment. If Harris declines to comment we not only lose that article and the positive benefits of that; but as a whole we lose the support of reporters who don't want to get flunked around and harness racing loses even more. Giving comment should be appluaded not criticised.

//////Rant//////

aussiebreno
    http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=17004

World record...yeah right. Was this an official Guineas World Record? This isn't a journo saying this; its the bankstown club director. The article is exclusively quotes from that man, Andrew Ho, and was published by another director of the Bankstown club.
    I can remember a race at Wagga; Happy Birthday to a (5yo?) girl. Also a welcome to the world pace with the names of the twins who were born.

https://ebet.tab.co.nz/results/NSWT-reslt07310900.html Race 3 race name Happy Birthday Erin
    https://ebet.tab.co.nz/results/NSWT-reslt09290700.html Race 6 race name Oscar and Archie Perrot

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Right , brenno , that article is laughable. Good luck to the kid involved , but "world record"???? , give me a break! With respect to Mr. Ho , I think he needs to do a LOT more research before coming up with such a ridiculous statement.

+ Reply to Thread