Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Has There Been A Death In The Family?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach

Has There Been A Death In The Family?

For such a lively forum at times, what the hell has happened? So many regular contributors are missing in action. There was some nastiness a few weeks ago that I fear may have removed some of our more outspoken or forthright compardries. I can only summise that because our good friend over the ditch was quite active at the time and issuing warnings about what behaviour is acceptable that there has been some collateral damage.

Coming off one of the most devastating ID finals (since Perth lol), new drug? allegations, some heavy DQs and warning offs, some great 3 yr olds squaring off, fabulous square gaiting in Vic etc etc etc etc, all I can hear are crickets.

Nothing on anybodys mind? Cannot believe after the original ID format was thrown out the door that no-one has given it a thorough critique after the Sydney experience and all the critcism that preceded it?

Nobody thinks much of the great 3yr colts that are bumping heads at the moment? I am dumbfounded.

There have been a lot of new members joining the forum in recent times but are yet to post a thread or make a contribution. Can I say please don't be shy. You have joined for a reason, if you have something on your mind please say so. If it is controversial and are unsure whether to post, as long as you can back it up with facts, go for it. Try to keep personal attacks out of it, it only stifles open conversation. I sat on the sidelines for six months before I made my first comment. Don't be like me.

So Brendan, after all the hoo ha and your little fav doing everything right, how do you see the ID format after the dust has settled? Thats a starter!

Senior Member Colt Chariots will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ray Coote
    Good post Brad. I was wondering where all the critics of HRNSW over the perceived inactivity regarding the integrity issues that were encountered are now.

It was always going to take time to work with the police charges and then proceed within the Rules of Racing.

Re the inters it would be interesting to have access to the national turnover figures so Menangle could be compared to Perth.

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    I'm still in shock to see Jim Bennett's name on the list. .....Staggered.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    I only know of one person who went on holiday but he's back and there has been plenty of positives through here since then.
    Seen many names regulars among them pop up at the bottom of the screen come and go.
    in keeping with the title of the thread I note today the sad and sudden passing of Mr G Blackburn, owner of Sir Lincoln(Royal). Shock to all who knew him.
    Another topic is the decision of HRA, against all sensible advice I am advised, to proceed with and impose a tax on all you good Aussies who want to buy a good ready to race product of here. Having already be warned by our ambassador as a breach of our mutual free trade agreement (CER) it might yet become bigger than the apple blight saga.
    Will you pay the "Tax", fight it or not bother to buy or horses? or wont it matter either way?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    This is a disgraceful tax designed wholly and solely to protect the Aus breeding industry and to make life harder for you guys slugging it out for little reward. Reminds me of the the tarriffs of the 70's until most were lifted opening up our markets to the world. Talk about a retrograde, step back into the past for all the wrong reasons. You kiwis will bear the brunt of an unbelievable, unreal position by us. On the upside, some of you may get to hang onto a horse that we would normally be stealing off you, picking up a couple of quick wins to cover expenses before they become MORE than handy horses.

Member Yearling HarnessFan will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jeroen Nieuwenburg
    Horses
    Hokonui Ben Dartmoor Countess Jill
    Having attended a BOTRA meeting in QLD recently, it seemed pretty ordinary that HRA didn't clearly articulate what exactly would be happening with the funds received. I assumed that the funds would be used to go to the national broodmare credits scheme.

It is quite intriguing how a national broodmare scheme can formally commence in April in only one state (WA).

Surely in industry as a whole deserves a clearer picture of the beast that is being rolled out by Adam Kelly - perhaps he doesn't know yet.

I buy a lot of horses from NZ. We all like to bargain when we buy, the certain drop in demand from us Aussies will ensure that the NZ industry will be hardest hit.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    The increased import fee ( or tariiff if you like) is another bullshit remedy to prop up the commercial breeder in Australia, nothing more , nothing less. The whole game has been paying through the nose to support a group of people that constantly claim they cant make ends meet.

When service fees come into line with what people are prepared to pay for yearlings, and prizemoney, integrity and marketing find some growth the game may start to consolidate, but at the moment the game is failing, so to impose a bullshit tax on everyone who deals in NZ horses ( and I'm not one of them ) in order to create a false security for one group of people.......dumb move IMO, and just another dumb move that supports the commercial breeeder and makes life a little harder for the poor old owners, the real lifeblood of this game that keeps on getting kicked in the guts.

Cheers,
    Dan

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post

So Brendan, after all the hoo ha and your little fav doing everything right, how do you see the ID format after the dust has settled? Thats a starter!
    A specific reference to mwah, makes me feel special Brad

I needed a breather after huffing and puffing about Quinny for so long! My thoughts about the ID format haven't waivered since I first heard about it. Ridiculous. The Sushi Sushi and 3 horse heat episodes only done more to confirm my hatred of the format. The less said about it the better. There is no need for any comment on the series in the aftermath, let it be the death in the family this thread mentions (this ID format being that creepy 2nd cousin you never liked). It is clear to me that 2014 should be back to a more traditional format (I'm more certain of that than I was of Quinny winning). Three heats, a final in two epic weeks at Menangle. Thatswhatimtalkingabout. Your thoughts Brad?

I also endorse more newbies posting - more opinions the better.

Senior Member 2YO Bonnie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Anne Anderson
    Occupation
    Horse Breeder /Owner
    Horses
    Ladies In Red, Hurricane Harley, Honolua
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The increased import fee ( or tariiff if you like) is another bullshit remedy to prop up the commercial breeder in Australia, nothing more , nothing less. The whole game has been paying through the nose to support a group of people that constantly claim they cant make ends meet.

When service fees come into line with what people are prepared to pay for yearlings, and prizemoney, integrity and marketing find some growth the game may start to consolidate, but at the moment the game is failing, so to impose a bullshit tax on everyone who deals in NZ horses ( and I'm not one of them ) in order to create a false security for one group of people.......dumb move IMO, and just another dumb move that supports the commercial breeeder and makes life a little harder for the poor old owners, the real lifeblood of this game that keeps on getting kicked in the guts.

Cheers,

Dan
    As a commercial/semi - commercial breeder in Australia I refute the suggestion that this move will " prop me up " . I have been a breeder and owner of standardbreds all my life and since purchasing the previous Vinery Thoroughbred Stud in Victoria we have sought to upgrade our mares. 90% of the broodmare band has been purchased as yearlings or going horses from NZ or the USA. These imported mares have left ; Maffioso, Sugarland , Musical Delight , Countdown , Yankee Rockstar ,
    Couragesnquick, with racemares such as Shezacullen, National Gallery and Kabbalah Karen B yet to have progeny on the track.
    I feel the importation of mares is of great benefit to whole broodmare industry as it broadens the Australian gene pool and provides further options for the future. Many imported mares have become the foundation of great "Australian " families.
    Any mares that I now import will be subject to this increase . It further adds to my costs and my greater concern is ; what will become of these funds that are raised. It is a simple process to estimate the value and put forward a plan to provide the industry with information for the disbursement of the proceeds. Lets hope it doesn't fall into that big black hole !

Banned Filly little fish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Username deleted
    Too much crapping on about ITMQ turned me off a bit - all the 'silence the doubters' and 'shut up anyone who doesnt think he's clearly the best now' type talk shoving it down people's throats.

I made a comment about his record with/without Smoken Up's presence and got jumped on.

I still stand by the comment that Smoken Up has always been a better horse than ITMQ - up until the last 6 months or so. Adam Hamilton's twitter campaign has been nauseating.

+ Reply to Thread