Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cowra Harness Racing Club

Member Gelding gregcattell is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    greg cattell
    Occupation
    stockman

Cowra Harness Racing Club

WOW...Just absolutely stoked with the support the Harness Racing community has shown our little club...It is going to be a FANTASTIC day of racing at Cowra on Saturday 23/3/13....with a huge 10 RACES...First race @ 1pm...come & enjoy a great afternoon of racing plus Live Music trackside, plus free activities for the kids, jumping castle, Yoyo the face painting clown...Undercover betting, food & bar...

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Hey Greg is Doug Lee still the President out there? He is still listed as that on the NRNSW website.

Hope you have a big day on Saturday, Blayney had a bottler the other week.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Good fields for Cowra and good to see .These are the meetings HRNSW and those in power seem to want to get rid of and shift it all to regional centres and have been seemingly for a few year's now.These little clubs and the bush connection are what keep's our game going.Well done Cowra and it's worker's. No Doug is now domiciled in QLD.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Member Gelding gregcattell is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    greg cattell
    Occupation
    stockman
    no Doug moved to Queensland just before Xmas going great guns since the move

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Yeah, last I heard he was looking to set up just south of Logan. He used the sprint lane beautifully at AP last week to get one home. Brought it up because he is still listed as the contact person for Cowra at the HRNSW website.

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    Good fields for Cowra and good to see .These are the meetings HRNSW and those in power seem to want to get rid of and shift it all to regional centres and have been seemingly for a few year's now.These little clubs and the bush connection are what keep's our game going.Well done Cowra and it's worker's. No Doug is now domiciled in QLD.
    Hi Greg, I'm curious to understand a bit more about how the 'bush connection' is keeping the game going? Last time I checked wagering turnover kept this Industry going.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Mitch,
    there are a number of things that keep the game going, turnover is but one.

Owners pay for the horse and all it's not unsubstantial costs to get to the races, some people wear the cost of breeding their own, some people prefer to buy them at the yearling sales and pay then for the costs of breeding and rearing.
    Owners also pay up for eligibility for races,vets,shoeing,transport,gear etc etc etc.

Sure we need turnover mate but if owners were not copping the cost of getting horses TO the races, their would be no races to generate turnover.

What Greg was saying I completely agree with, the "bush connection" he was refering to is the community spirit within harness racing which has been eroded since many tracks lost their licence to race through a "restructuring" initiative we "had to have" some years ago. The people who promoted this restructuring were warned at the time by many that it would shrink the game rather than help it grow and this has proven to be the case, both HRNSW and Victoria have realised this in recent years and are commendably making cautious moves to reverse it, in part at the very least.

This game like any other needs exposure and opportunity to flourish, the regional centralisation was reducing the population exposure to harness racing and hence reduced triggering interest in a percentage of those people and it was also reducing the opportunity to participate by the tyranny of distance.

So the bush connection Greg mentioned has been futher explained? I hope this has helped.

Cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member 2YO HISGEN65 will become famous soon enough HISGEN65's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lewin
    Occupation
    Full time job..sadly
    Horses
    Sign of Perfecshon-Highview Sign
    g'day Greg
    Good stuff mate..!!
    I have been VP of the Marburg Pacing Assoc for several years now & "country" racing is awesome.
    We get big crowds & everyone has a super day.
    So mate I know first hand what sort of effort is put in by your club & all its volenteers to make these days happen..my hats off to ya's.
    We have our big Easter race meeting coming up & we are all looking forward to another bumper event.

I have only recently met Doug & he seems like a top bloke.
    Actually he drove a couple of my no-hopers last weekend

Senior Member 2YO HISGEN65 will become famous soon enough HISGEN65's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lewin
    Occupation
    Full time job..sadly
    Horses
    Sign of Perfecshon-Highview Sign
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Hi Greg, I'm curious to understand a bit more about how the 'bush connection' is keeping the game going? Last time I checked wagering turnover kept this Industry going.
    Mitch...country racing is the gateway for alot of new prospective participants...so they may not contribute to keeping the industry going on a monetary level as such but contributes greatly in many other areas

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Mitch,
    there are a number of things that keep the game going, turnover is but one.

Owners pay for the horse and all it's not unsubstantial costs to get to the races, some people wear the cost of breeding their own, some people prefer to buy them at the yearling sales and pay then for the costs of breeding and rearing.
    Owners also pay up for eligibility for races,vets,shoeing,transport,gear etc etc etc.

Sure we need turnover mate but if owners were not copping the cost of getting horses TO the races, their would be no races to generate turnover.

What Greg was saying I completely agree with, the "bush connection" he was refering to is the community spirit within harness racing which has been eroded since many tracks lost their licence to race through a "restructuring" initiative we "had to have" some years ago. The people who promoted this restructuring were warned at the time by many that it would shrink the game rather than help it grow and this has proven to be the case, both HRNSW and Victoria have realised this in recent years and are commendably making cautious moves to reverse it, in part at the very least.

This game like any other needs exposure and opportunity to flourish, the regional centralisation was reducing the population exposure to harness racing and hence reduced triggering interest in a percentage of those people and it was also reducing the opportunity to participate by the tyranny of distance.

So the bush connection Greg mentioned has been futher explained? I hope this has helped.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Dan,

In many respects I agree with you, and let me say upfront I am a huge fan of country racing. It's what I grew up with and I will always support it.

I do think we need to look very, very differently at the strategic framework of harness racing if the sport is to remain commercial. Everyone keeps talking up participant growth as the key stimulator. As controversial as this may sound I have a different view. Previously I have supported the view of increased participation.

Simply put our number one priority must be to increase wagering turnover. It is the main source of revenue for prize money and without prize money why would we race?
    To do this we need to think about who we are competing against for wagering revenue. When the trots were in their glory days throughout the 70's and 80's sports betting was not a competitor. Times have changed. Sports betting is a major competitor to harness racing from a wagering perspective and is currently much more appealing to a lot of punters.

We need to drastically improve the appeal of the harness product to prospective punters. This can only be achieved through changing some of things that are very sentimental to a lot of participants and very much part of the tradition of harness racing. Until the administrators of our sport realise this and execute such change we will continue to struggle.

Breeding schemes, ID formats, Import Fees & the experience of country racing are all band aid solutions to a much bigger core issue.

I have a view that we need to focus on quality not quantity on two fronts. Firstly race drivers, we can't continue to let incompetent & hobby drivers drive at metropolitan meetings. Smart & professional punters will simply avoid these races as it presents too much risk. I would like to see some new rules & licensing introduced that only allows professionally accredited drivers to drive at metro meetings. Similar to the t/breds we should have 2 days per week that are set aside for metro meetings and get the big states to align on programming meetings that support each other. Just like the thoroughbreds have metro meetings every Wed & Sat in capital cities, I would like to see a similar routine in harness racing where every Tuesday night & Friday night their are metro meetings at Menangle, Melton, GP, Albion Park & Globe Derby.
    Secondly we need to focus on race programming that helps both sexes prolong and maximise their race careers in the most competitive way possible. We need to look at more revolutionary options outside of class racing, conditioned races etc. To achieve this it may mean less race meetings and less overall races to start with.

This can be achieved without alienating or removing the hobbyist component of our sport and still allow country racing to have a very important footprint.

You only have to look at the evolution and revolution of every other major sport in Australia and consider what it looked like 30 years ago and what it looks like today. Harness racing is stuck in the past and until that changes not much else will. Controversial? yes.

Mitch.

+ Reply to Thread