Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has HRNSW created a problem

Member Yearling Diablo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Miller
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    I'll wait to hear from Bailey on what HE is trying to highlight. He has put forward some reading relevant to the issue which is about the Hearing of issues by the stewards in regard to trainer breaking the rules of racing along with reference to video footage of the raceday hearing. I totally fail to see any connection to this issue with that of a disgraced former steward.

FYI Diablo, while your efforts lately do put you clearly in the domain of a RED card there is no such threat... (your term)...emanating from Bailey's contribution.
    So, you're not as thin skinned as I thought. My bad.

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    I started this thread called "
    Has HRNSW created a problem

My opening sentence was " The new structure of HRNSW could pose a problem in the future."

The rest was created by the question from Greg "Which actions were of concern"

The appointment of one person to head both departments is to me the Danger for HRNSW.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Okay.. If I read the starter to this thread correctly the question is whether stewards are a law unto themselves or who polices the stewards. Apologies Bailey if this is not so.
    My guess is that if someone is unhappy with procedures or decisions taken by the stewards on raceday there are options open to them.
    ..Lodge an appeal with the appeal authority against the stewards decision if their procedures or decision is contrary to the rules they are tasked to police.
    .. Lodge a grievance with the governing body against the actions of the stewards as being against the rules. (Stewards are after all employees of the governing body.)

I would expect that the Integrity unit is a unit within the business structure of the governing body. As such its responsibility is managing integrity issues and accordingly its manager is chairman of stewards. Under both titles he is responsible for the workings of the unit to the board of directors via the CEO. That is to say that he monitors the actions of his stewards and investigators whilst his actions are monitored by his superiors... Board via CEO.
    Last edited by teecee; 04-30-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    I reckon some of you blokes should take a cold shower......the original question that started this thread has been lost entirely in a muddled mess.

From my personal perspective I think Bailey's original question has merit, "Chairman of Stewards" and "Integrity Manager" are IMO, two entirely different beasts, and I for one ( as a licenced participant in the relevant State) thought when the integrity position was announced that it was an excellent, overdue, move.

cheers,
    Dan

Real Name
    bailey martin
    Teecee, I cannot accept that a CEO or for that matter the Board can monitor the actions of the Intregrity or Stewards Dept other than in general terms.

As you pointed out earlier re Mike Godber, they are not trained for the job.

Surely an independent Intregrity Manager is desired for all concerned. I would hate to see in the future a power laden person with the attitude of " I make the rulings and if you don't like it, make an appointment to see ME later to lodge a complaint about ME or my team.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Quote Originally Posted by p plater View Post
    Teecee, I cannot accept that a CEO or for that matter the Board can monitor the actions of the Intregrity or Stewards Dept other than in general terms.

As you pointed out earlier re Mike Godber, they are not trained for the job.

Surely an independent Intregrity Manager is desired for all concerned. I would hate to see in the future a power laden person with the attitude of " I make the rulings and if you don't like it, make an appointment to see ME later to lodge a complaint about ME or my team.
    Isn't that the job of the CEO.
    It's levels of management and to have another level.... is that really necessary if those that are there already are doing their job. It may just be in the title that the integrity manager is purely an admin person.
    I guess after watching the disgraceful performance in the Menangle stewards room on Sunday via a bit of sensationalistic journalism... ( I don't know why they showed it other than perhaps to highlight another pitiful aspect of the industry)..I guess the chairman of stewards has enough on his plate already.

Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    What do you see as the role of Chairman of Stewards?
    What do you see as the role of Integrity Manager?
    How do they differ in your opinion?
    Where does each fit in the line of command with the governing body?

Real Name
    bailey martin
    Ok here goes, I'm am not a driver or trainer nor have I ever been. So from my looking in at the sport point of view I would expect something like:

Chairman of stewards: Stewards Top man on race days who controls the meeting
    HRNSW Chairman of stewards: Top man at Head Office with control and placement of all stewards statewide. Active at race meetings.

HRNSW Intregrity Manager: Oversees the correct operation of the stewards role and performance. Plans and controls swabbing procedures and all areas deemed to adversely affect the Industry, including evidence gathering etc as required. He would at the direction of the CEO investigate any complaint about the stewards conduct or performance. Once compiled, this would allow the CEO to refer it to the Intregrity Auditor (Lawyer)

CEO has overall control and directs all departments. Each Manager to report to CEO
    The Intregrity Manager would advise and direct the Chairman of stewards on the procedures needed re swabbing and stable visits in line with any intel that may have been gathered in his departments activities.

Imagine if the dual roles had been in force at the time of the current ongoing scandal being uncovered.

Senior Member 2YO doinmabest has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Fred Hastings
    Bailey, I would say that the model you have demonstrated would be in line with expectation......One thing I will add is I do believe that the current Integrity Manager (Mr Sanders) operates with integrity as his foremost priority and in no way did I take that you inferred anything other when you posed the original question. Not all outcomes will please all parties, either side of the coin, but our sport needs integrity and I think in the main is making inroads....
    Last edited by doinmabest; 05-01-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Addittional

Real Name
    bailey martin
    Fred, I believe Mr Sanders handling of the troubled times was 1st class and applauded by most as a good communicator of HRNSW's position. To burden him with another position which for as long as I have had an interest in the sport, has been a full time, great pressure position as Chairman of Stewards is not a wise move.

You are correct in saying " I think in the main is making inroads...." that's spot on.........but don't burn the bloke out.

Maybe the talent available for the Chairman of Stewards position is at a low at the moment.

Just my thoughts......thanks for yours.

+ Reply to Thread