Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 600 to Bettors Delight - 'Absolute rubbish!'

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Triplev123
    Very interesting and well done, if this had of been published before maybe myself and others might of had a different view. For horses to race longer and that are much more sounder it's good for everyone. And you are right you do have to go 55/56 but in saying that it wasn't possible to do at Harold Park. The only thing i worry about is the little studs are struggling and in years to come there won't be no little studs with the cheaper stallions for the people who struggle in the industry.

triplev123
    The problem is that many of those same small Studs with cheap/poor quality sires are the ones who are greatly assisting in perpetuating that struggle by way of knocking out a lousy product that can't win without some form of protectionist umbrella. The now defunct NSW Sires Stakes is a classic example of what can happen to the breed when 3rd, 4th & 5th tier sires are artificially made financially viable propositions.
    Cheap does not always = poor quality though. I can think of at least 4 sires, all excellent racehorses, 1 proven and 3 unproven, that you can get into for less than $4,000 so it's not all doom and gloom by any means.
    Last edited by triplev123; 11-26-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: needed to exand on previous post to make more sense.

Flashing Red
    Studs don't need unlimited books to recoup their money - they already do it on ridiculous things like charging $30 for a monthly worming which (a) they wouldn't do monthly and (b) costs only $12 anyway!! I don't buy into the "poor studs" argument - I've seen their bills I'd say they would do pretty well!!

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    t here in Australia the mere mention of our Restriction Of Trade Laws would serve to knock down any such move in a heartbeat.
    You would have to get someone to challenge it first. The unit co-ordinator (and former consistutional lawyer) for the consitutional law unit in one of Qld's main universities stated during that terrible period with EI that restricting the movement of horses between states would have (most likely) been sucessfully challenged in court. I can understand no trotting folk challenging it but some of those thoroughbred folk have more money than you can poke a stick at and sat tight and did nothing in a industry that has a lot more perks and money than ours... it isn't black white.

I for one hope they get some sort of cap. Maybe not as small as America - but 400, 500, 600 foals? Com'on. Doesn't it make you just a little queasy?? And this isn't directed to any stallion specifically. Just in general.

I stand to be corrected, but do not thoroughbred have a limit of 120 mare per season in the southern hemisphere. Obviously they are also limited by natural service, but still.

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Interesting read from 1991

Stallion "Closed Books"

Is the industry through its Studmasters and Stud Owners able to continue a policy of regulated stallion limits? The answer is simply that it cannot be sustained. The Australian Trade Practices legislation will ensure that it will be unable to retain these limitations upon challenge. When the more commercial large scale operations either break ranks or decide on economic return on investment criteria to challenge the regulations this will go. It is my belief that only "voluntary" codes of practice will survive.

Rod Pollock
    Chief Executive &
    Keeper of the Stud Book

The stallion sets the limit in the thoroughbreds, the same as in the standardbreds
    i agree that a limit should be set. A stallion with huge .....semen production, 600 could not be that big of a deal.
    Last edited by justdoit; 01-12-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: edit.......

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
    Interesting read from 1991

Stallion "Closed Books"

Is the industry through its Studmasters and Stud Owners able to continue a policy of regulated stallion limits? The answer is simply that it cannot be sustained. The Australian Trade Practices legislation will ensure that it will be unable to retain these limitations upon challenge. When the more commercial large scale operations either break ranks or decide on economic return on investment criteria to challenge the regulations this will go. It is my belief that only "voluntary" codes of practice will survive.

Rod Pollock
    Chief Executive &
    Keeper of the Stud Book

The stallion sets the limit in the thoroughbreds, the same as in the standardbreds
    i agree that a limit should be set. A stallion with huge .....semen production, 600 could not be that big of a deal.
    Key word here is that it must be challenged - if it isn't, and as I have already previously iterated (sp?) there was another perfect opportunity for a challenge with EI where there was much higher stakes and nothing was done - so studs can set whatever limits they choose. If only it could be 150. lol.

triplev123
    Notably...that was one of the very few things RP ever said that made any sense. :-P
    Last edited by triplev123; 01-14-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: hit wrong button

buster
    if they restrict the books then who will end up with the 100 bookings? take a guess it wont be the small studs and other battlers that everyone is trying to stick up for - business is never going to be 'fair' its up to the individual to strive to do better

its like the apg premium sale, all they've done is given an advantage to the high end of the market and left the bottom out t0 dry, as evidenced by the terrible 3 day sale in Melbourne last year, as if the larger clients of apg dont get preferential treatment or the people who work for apg that also breed

it doesnt matter in the long run what we do down here as we are just following the hype from the US breeding scene and every now and again a battler from over there will become a good stallion here

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Hi Buster,
    Can someone else explain to Buster what has been happening in the AU and NZ breeding industry lately.

buster
    mmmm i dunno but the horses are going 5 seconds faster and sitting 3 wide without cover and winning..so something right is happening

but hey maybe we should forsake all this progress and go back to breeding with globe derby horses

** but im assuming you mean in following the US, well seeing as we pay 6k for sportswriter - unproven and never raced here, rocknroll hanover 20k only just having horses racing now, still unproven, american ideal yet to be proven a good stallion here, plus the hundred other failures that no one remembers

and yet courage under fire, elsu, auckland reactor etc all proven stars in aus are standing for the same and less then these stallions

i bet mr feelgood doesnt get the book of mares he would have got if he was as dominant in the US as he is here
    Last edited by buster; 01-19-2011 at 01:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread