Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Enigma that is Guaranteed

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach

The Enigma that is Guaranteed

The Super Series Heat 2 at Shep last night must be doing Emma Stewarts head in. I thought Guaranteed was as close to a good thing last night as there is and would leave Lenny The Shark for dead if he paced. Guaranteed last night put in the best 'worst' display I have seen in a long time from a top-liner. Gavin Lang could not have driven him any better in giving him room and time to race truly, but the horse was having none of that!

It was a strange old race, Lenny did super really because he carted a flat tyre most of the trip. But its back to the drawing board for Guaranteed.

See the replay on the results link.

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-re...ic#SPC11061304

Senior Member 2YO Big Max will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ross La Spina
    It looks like there are some serious issues there,the real guaranteed would have run away with that,hopefully they can sort him out.

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Tonight he just 'looked' like he wanted to be there at Geelong, not one false step, just focussed and finished off in 27.4, didn't miss a beat. See the stewards have queried the run, but surely they are just dotting their i's and crossing their t's. I reckon he has been to a hypnotist cos he was all business tonight.

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    The old Guaranteed was back for all to see. That was perhaps his best effort yet in the final of the Vicbred last night, despite doing his very best to toss another big one away. Three wide before death seating and rolling to the lead before things started getting hairy - he has a bit of a look around and says "where have all my mates gone" goes into a gait that only he can do, rolls off the pegs and allows Major Calipso up inside him. All of sudden he becomes a racehorse again. He seems so much more comfortable when he has got a horse on his inside. Gavin Lang masterful in keeping him together, beat Border Control fair and square in solid closing 2nd half.

The funny thing about Guaranteed at previous start he led on his ear, raced solo and didn't skip a beat. Good horse. When will he and Majestic Mach face each other next?

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    It was interesting to watch Guaranteed last night. When went off stride it reminded me a lot of Gamechanger when he was a 2yo. The night he went 1.54 as a 2yo at Menangle he did a very similar thing. We tried everything to correct his action but ultimately it was nothing do with that. Later on we discovered he had an issue with his inguinal canal which was 5 times bigger than it should have been. Under the pressure of racing he was passing fluid through the canal into his scrotum causing him pain and ultimately causing him to pace roughly. We ended having to geld him and have the canal stitched up.

Its probably unlikely that same is happening with Guaranteed but clearly something isn't right for him to do what he does.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Hey Mitch...maybe Guaranteed is like Mark Denyer...i.e. he has a huge set of Jatz Crackers to contend with...and so now & again he pinches himself when in full flight? That'd make me break. No risk. Think about it. Ever seen Denyer throw in a sprint? Neither have I. I rest my case.

Senior Member 4YO HaroldParker will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Bob Parker
    The drive on Border Control was very poor. There was poorer, I'll touch on that later.

I've been OS for a few months, missed the Semi's but watched the replays during the week and Border Control after having to work overtime to hold out a couple of Million-1 shots who finished tailed off (43.5 lead time, 2+ seconds faster than any other) withstood a challenge from Guaranteed between the 8 & 4 and arrogantly ran away from him. Border Control not only outclassed Guaranteed but outstayed him comprehensively. Barely a sub 64 first half last night and Purdon was catching zzz's. When low and behold, he makes his move, rather than put the sword to his main danger, he sits up like a stunned mullet. I was a little surprised he didn't protest against the winner but that would of meant watching the reply : )

From a punting perspective, I'll take Odds On but only if I've confidence in the Guy or Girl steering them. Purdon falls way short, just too negative. I think he had 6 drives over the 2 nights, locked wheels 3 times.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by HaroldParker View Post
    The drive on Border Control was very poor. There was poorer, I'll touch on that later.

I've been OS for a few months, missed the Semi's but watched the replays during the week and Border Control after having to work overtime to hold out a couple of Million-1 shots who finished tailed off (43.5 lead time, 2+ seconds faster than any other) withstood a challenge from Guaranteed between the 8 & 4 and arrogantly ran away from him. Border Control not only outclassed Guaranteed but outstayed him comprehensively. Barely a sub 64 first half last night and Purdon was catching zzz's. When low and behold, he makes his move, rather than put the sword to his main danger, he sits up like a stunned mullet. I was a little surprised he didn't protest against the winner but that would of meant watching the reply : )

From a punting perspective, I'll take Odds On but only if I've confidence in the Guy or Girl steering them. Purdon falls way short, just too negative. I think he had 6 drives over the 2 nights, locked wheels 3 times.
    Gday Harold

After race 2 Saturday night the mobile couldn't get traction. We saw it fishtailing up the straight just after and they put the 3rd race back 1. Spread sand on the track where the mobile drives. Seemed to help the mobile. The 3rd and 4th races both won by horses getting up the sprint lane. Horses trying to make ground that were in the area the sand was spread couldn't. Don't know if because of sand put on track or not.

Visibilty for the drivers was shocking. In some races couldn't make out the colours after a lap. Check out some of the after race pics. Drivers had 1/2 inch of track caked on their faces. It was like soup.

Guaranteed took a whole lap to get to the death. No way he hands it up when he gets there. So if Border Control follows him at start he stuck 3 wide the trip. He did come out with lap and bit to go but he then racing in the area the above sand was spread. As above don't know if that made it harder to make ground.

They also later spread sand down near the inside of the track. Maybe to even things up.

Senior Member 4YO HaroldParker will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Bob Parker
    Paul, if Purdon drives an aggressive race on a superior horse, you honestly think Guaranteed or Major Calypso have any say in keeping him posted ? Not a chance.

Guaranteed gets very rough in his action when he's let down. It takes him a dozen steps to click into gear. Do you remember the Victorian Derby ? and not a whole lot better in the NSW Derby.

An average at best driver, steering a Rolls Royce. Which is fine taking a price, at the shorts, no way.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    [VVV] G'day Bob. I had the track pegged as being about 2 seconds off at the pylons and the further out you got the slower it became...the running line come 3 deep I reckon it was more like 3+. Patches of rough gaitedness aside, I thought Guaranteed's effort was enormous given the bias.

+ Reply to Thread