Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Video replay quality OR NOT

Member Yearling Bandito will become famous soon enough Bandito's Avatar
    Real Name
    John Banner
    Occupation
    Relaxing

Video replay quality OR NOT

I have always thought the video replay quality you get with the HRV results to be bloody ordinary - it is a very small view screen and if you enlarge it, it only becomes a bigger blur. NSW trots TV has always been sharper. Ventured onto HRNZ and the first race I saw was 480p quality and it was sensational! They mostly seem to be 360p but are still good - using close ups and split screens. How about HRV not only improves their game but aims for industry best and makes the jump to 480p

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Totally agree with your comments. Love the split screen concept of NZ racing. Wish they would at least give it a try for broadcasts from Melton and Menangle.

While I am on my soapbox, at most NZ trot meetings the callers seem to be right amongst the crowd when calling. The background noise , the cheers and yelling from the crowd during the call really gives the race calls an extra degree of excitement, especially in the home straight. Something else different I wish they would try at Melton and Menangle.
    Last edited by David Summers; 06-14-2013 at 05:04 PM.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandito View Post
    I have always thought the video replay quality you get with the HRV results to be bloody ordinary - it is a very small view screen and if you enlarge it, it only becomes a bigger blur. NSW trots TV has always been sharper. Ventured onto HRNZ and the first race I saw was 480p quality and it was sensational! They mostly seem to be 360p but are still good - using close ups and split screens. How about HRV not only improves their game but aims for industry best and makes the jump to 480p
    I've also got a problem with the replays. No matter how often I watch my bet still never wins. It needs fixing.

Real Name
    John Banner
    Occupation
    Relaxing
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    I've also got a problem with the replays. No matter how often I watch my bet still never wins. It needs fixing.
    That is a problem with REplays. Have you thought of betting on the cartoon trot races they have in the TABs. Same horses go around but different winners every 5 minutes

Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by David Summers View Post
    Totally agree with your comments. Love the split screen concept of NZ racing. Wish they would at least give it a try for broadcasts from Melton and Menangle.

While I am on my soapbox, at most NZ trot meetings the callers seem to be right amongst the crowd when calling. The background noise , the cheers and yelling from the crowd during the call really gives the race calls an extra degree of excitement, especially in the home straight. Something else different I wish they would try at Melton and Menangle.
    Another thing to like about NZ harness is that it doesn't matter how long they have for a prelim, come 90 secs to start time,half of the field heads to the outside fence and the drivers start to frig around with gear adjustments for the next 4-5 mins.Discuss!

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by 2minuteman View Post
    Another thing to like about NZ harness is that it doesn't matter how long they have for a prelim, come 90 secs to start time,half of the field heads to the outside fence and the drivers start to frig around with gear adjustments for the next 4-5 mins.Discuss!
    G'day Ron,
    I reckon the Kiwis are a MUCH smarter bunch than us. they are never as easily influenced by bullshit marketing, they tend to do things right rather than what's percieved as right and I reckon if the punters want to be sure that the horse they've backed is "on the job" and getting every chance then they would be happy to wait for the race to start rather than see a gear failure at some point between the start and the finish because everyone had to get off the mark "pronto" to suit a clock somewhere.

If you want to see an example of the Kiwis Vs Aussies, look at the sulkies that people are racing in on both sides of "the ditch" dumb Aussies paying big bucks for "speed sulkies" and Kiwis still setting records in their homeland wth timber sulkies that were banned in Oz twenty bloody years ago!!!!!

Cheers,
    Dan.

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    G'day Ron,
    I reckon the Kiwis are a MUCH smarter bunch than us. they are never as easily influenced by bullshit marketing, they tend to do things right rather than what's percieved as right and I reckon if the punters want to be sure that the horse they've backed is "on the job" and getting every chance then they would be happy to wait for the race to start rather than see a gear failure at some point between the start and the finish because everyone had to get off the mark "pronto" to suit a clock somewhere.

If you want to see an example of the Kiwis Vs Aussies, look at the sulkies that people are racing in on both sides of "the ditch" dumb Aussies paying big bucks for "speed sulkies" and Kiwis still setting records in their homeland wth timber sulkies that were banned in Oz twenty bloody years ago!!!!!

Cheers,
    Dan.
    I'm not sure if this is tongue in cheek or what? Getting back to the quality of replays. Melton replays quality is absolutely atrocious. Not only vision but sound as well. Even compared to country Vic replays, it pales! Wtf is going on? Get it right HRV.

Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    G'day Ron,

Cheers,
    Dan.
    Point taken Dan but why wait until he last minute? Surely if an adjustment needs to be made they can attack it earlier?

Real Name
    John Banner
    Occupation
    Relaxing
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild View Post
    I'm not sure if this is tongue in cheek or what? Getting back to the quality of replays. Melton replays quality is absolutely atrocious. Not only vision but sound as well. Even compared to country Vic replays, it pales! Wtf is going on? Get it right HRV.
    I have emailed them a couple of times Leigh but have never had receipt of my email acknowledged, much less got a reply - public relations whizzs too LOL

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Don't ever hold your breath waiting for any reply from HRV. From my experience , they have automatically set any incoming email to go to their trash bin , without ever being read. It's a complete waste of time.

They just could not be bothered with any queries or feedback. They obviously believe that they are "oh so very important" to ever bother what us mere lowly harness racing enthusiasts think. It's pathetic, but that's their current thinking. I can't see that attitude changing.
    Last edited by David Summers; 06-17-2013 at 11:14 PM.

+ Reply to Thread