Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HRA to push for the removal of 2 x penalty free 3yo wins

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist

Angry HRA to push for the removal of 2 x penalty free 3yo wins

G'day all,

If you're against this move like I am, suggest you get on the phone to your State Admin. and let them know your thoughts on the matter.
    HRV have tried this on at National level on a number of occasions but it has been knocked back.
    Now it seems they're shaping up to do an end run around the rest of the States and get fellow Victorian Andrew Kelly/HRA to do their dirty work.
    Apparently they can't do anything about this until everyone meets in September but still, time is of the essence.
    For mine, if the HRV Handicappers are incapable of adding a simple condition of 4yos+ to all of the C0-1-2-3-4 etc races that they are worried about the 2 x win 3yos dropping in and beating upon...then vacate the chair and give someone else a go who is capable of 4 simple strokes of their keyboard 4-y-o-+. It's not that difficult fellas, really. Give it a try.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    NSW have already knocked it back I am reliably informed. Well done fellas.

Senior Member Colt Chariots will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ray Coote
    The penalty free three yo races have been a blight on the handicapping system since the 2 year olds were all made penalty free. Alto Cristiano win a $50,000 race and a $250,000 WA Derby then had its next start in a CO. I suppose you are going to tell me that's handicapping. Don't throw up the conditions option as if it is a national rule connections expect to operate under that rule and not be conditioned out of a race. This should happen and the disgrace would be if it did't happen.

Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    The HRV Handicappers repeatedly refuse to put simple 4yo+ backs on their bread & butter C0-1-2-3 etc races then they proceed to bleat like Angora Goats being shorn when the better 2 x win 3yos decide to drop in, go off at short quotes/odds on/stifle betting and duly beat up on the older horses.
    The solution is surely not to penalise the Owners of those 3yos....rather it is to put simple backs on those bread & butter races that will prevent the better 3yos from entering.
    Your example falls squarely into this category. It's in WA of course, not that bastion of all Handicapping Wisdom, VIC...but it is exactly the same outcome.
    If the C0 that Alta Christiano aimed up in over in WA had a 4yo+ back on it...then job's right, he doesn't get in. All silent, all done.
    If Handicappers choose to reapeatedly leave the gate wide open they can't complain about it when Trainers walk their better 3yos straight through it & send them around for a paid trackwork outing.
    HRV have single-handedly rattled the sabre on this subject for quite a while now and they continue to leave their CO's ect wide open and the better 2 x win 3yos continue to drop in and win at short quotes against the older horses and HRV continues to bleat about it...but it is they who are the architects of their own demise.
    Fellas, use 4yo+. It's so damned simple a problem to fix. They can't be that dim...surely?

Junior Member Foal Mr Anderson will become famous soon enough Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Real Name
    Robert Anderson
    Common sense prevails

Member Yearling HarnessFan will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jeroen Nieuwenburg
    Horses
    Hokonui Ben Dartmoor Countess Jill
    I think a good compromise may be to restrict the extra 3yo opportunities to 1.
    I have an average 3yo that needs time to mature.
    He has won his maiden 3yo but winning as a 3c1 is extremely difficult.
    I can't wait for next season so that he can tackle the C0 and C1 class which is considerably slower than 3c1 class.

Banned Filly little fish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Username deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HarnessFan View Post
    I think a good compromise may be to restrict the extra 3yo opportunities to 1.
    I have an average 3yo that needs time to mature.
    He has won his maiden 3yo but winning as a 3c1 is extremely difficult.
    I can't wait for next season so that he can tackle the C0 and C1 class which is considerably slower than 3c1 class.
    I have a 3yo that is a 3c2 and I am lamenting the fact there is only 1 race left that I can see in Victoria this season for my horse to race against his own age group - the Horsham guineas is 3c0-3c2. But that is weeks away and we'll likely win a c0 before then which will make us ineligible.

Some people don't want the 3yo's racing in c0's but there are no races around for a 3c2 - what are we supposed to do? Spell him as soon as he gets to 3c2???

Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by little fish View Post
    I have a 3yo that is a 3c2 and I am lamenting the fact there is only 1 race left that I can see in Victoria this season for my horse to race against his own age group - the Horsham guineas is 3c0-3c2. But that is weeks away and we'll likely win a c0 before then which will make us ineligible.

Some people don't want the 3yo's racing in c0's but there are no races around for a 3c2 - what are we supposed to do? Spell him as soon as he gets to 3c2???
    [VVV] Exactly.

Banned Filly little fish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Username deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    [VVV] Exactly.
    Exactly in the sense that you think all 3c2's should be spelled? (if they are not paid up for any of the stakes series races that is..)

Or was there a sense of sarcasm in there?

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Barry I think the right answer is you have a choice...the turn of the season is not very far away and traditionally with the new season turning over and all the decent 3yo's graduating to all age racing makes it a bit harder for the existing CO ranks to compete, so you have a choice with your horse who has already gained to 2 x "C" wins this season ( that he/she will not ever be handicapped for ever again after the 1st of September), those choices being step up to C0 or give the horse a break, whichever would suit the horse best would be my choice!

Cheers,
    Dan

+ Reply to Thread