Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 Heats each Gold Crown & Gold Tiara

triplev123

7 Heats each Gold Crown & Gold Tiara

Looks like a pretty good roll-up at Bathurst for the Gold Crown & Gold Tiara, the latter with fields already out, the former with fields due out 4pm this afternoon.
    Both Divisions have/will have 7 Heats each and notably there's no Restrepo. I believe he was not eligible? I'd sure have loved to watch the colt race up close from trackside...but in another way I'm kind of glad one of ours doesn't have to go in against him. He'd have been a moral.

buster
    Tonkin never goes to Bathurst

triplev123
    Yeh? Never noticed that I must admit. Would have been fun to see the colt step out.

triplev123
    Here's some stats to ponder.

28 sires and 40 broodmare sires are represented in the Gold Tiara Heats.

35 sires and 44 broodmare sires are represented in the Gold Crown Heats.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Interesting stats and to me both races look open this year.

buster
    Emma has gone and made a liar out of me and has 1 in the fillies

I was going to suggest some tipping but geez it looks a tough meeting

Just a pity it's on that awful track

sandakan lombo would a moral imo

triplev123
    Interesting stats indeed, surprising and depending on your point of view, verging shocking in some respects.
    To be fair though, for quite some time now it has been pretty much the same with each group. There's usually somewhere in the vicinity of 25-35 sires and 35-45 broodmare sires represented. The best head to head stuff comes from reviewing the sires of those originally made eligible & then those who made final stakes payment & noting the sires of those that progressed enough again to make a start in the Heats. For the progeny of some sires initially aimed at Bathurst the drop off rate is really quite alarming while for others their resolute stick-to-it-ness from noms right the way through to final stakes payments and beyond is pretty admirable. I've never been able to get anything particularly concrete from it other than that & in the big scheme of things I'm not sure it means a whole lot because it's just one race series and whether or not similar attrition rates hold true in other 2yo futurity series...the ABC for example, I just don't know.

triplev123
    Buster, ever since the 1st Crown/Tiara carnival I attended at Bathurst, and that was way back in 1987, I've always been worried about that first turn.
    So many horses will make a break or get themselves collected by one that does. One year I vividly remember standing on the outside fence up there about 1/3 of the way around the first turn and alongside Peter Walsh. There was a fair old scrimmage as they went into the corner and I thought his colt was going to go all the way to the outside fence and straight over the top of us both. Admittedly Peter and I were fair sized targets for the horse to aim at.... As I recall his horse's name was Gold Scott (?). It will be the same again this year. I don't know for sure if it's the way in which the track is built or if the horses experience a general lack of grip in the racing surface or if its a lack of tractibility/education on the part of some the horses or if it's a combination of all of those things, but it happens every year.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Tractibility/Education and a horrible 1st turn is a reciepe for disaster. The track surface is normally A1. I think if Bathurst can get a 1000m track you will see more horses paid up for the series.

triplev123
    Indeed.
    Just so long as it's a 1000m track that starts 10 across.
    IMO there should be NO TRAILERS IN FUTURITY EVENTS.

+ Reply to Thread