Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars

Total removal of 2yo racing for the benefit of the industry

the title of this thread ( Removing 2yo racing) is obviously going to get a few people off side, but I ask people to step back and take a breath before launching anything.

Firstly I think we should honestly ask the question...why did anyone think racing 2yo's was a good option.

Secondly, how did this actually get off the ground in a "democracy"

and third,

how on earth have so many people been seduced into thinking the 2 yo racing hype was sustainable in our particular horse game?

cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Hi Dan,

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on why you think we dont need it and how the industry will benefit from removing it?

Cheers,
    Mitch.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Hi Dan,

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on why you think we dont need it and how the industry will benefit from removing it?

Cheers,
    Mitch.

[VVV] That makes two of us.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    G'day Mitch and Jamie,
    I posted three questions in the thread, would you like to have a go at providing your opinion on those?

the questions are basically,

Why? ( did we even start racing 2yos)

How? ( who/what caused the big $$$ for 2yo racing)

Sustainability? ( how much longer will it take to kill every owner out of the game)

Cheers,
    Dan

Member Filly thepacingman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Stephen Walsh
    2YO racing in both codes can be defined by one word - GREED.
    It's another example of the "get rich quick scheme" which is so prevalent in today's world.

If 2YO racing is held what should happen is that the prize money for any 2YO race should not be greater than the base prize money for the meeting.
    No Pacing Gold, Breeders Crown, Golden Slipper, Blue Diamond etc. type races should be allowed.

Senior Member 2YO HISGEN65 will become famous soon enough HISGEN65's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lewin
    Occupation
    Full time job..sadly
    Horses
    Sign of Perfecshon-Highview Sign
    I am not against 2YO racing but I am dead set against the amount of focus & prizemoney that is thrown at it..
    Way too many impressive 2YO's & 3YO's end up disappearing into the "stats" vortex not to mention the "wastage" in general.
    I think the sport would be far better off spreading the prizemoney across the board..I guarantee we would see alot more genuine FFA horses
    & most importantly a bigger pool of horses which inturn means more participants at every level which our sport is crying out for.
    Its such a ludicrous situation when you think about it...a handful of horses racing for $100K with only 1 or 2 capable of winning it(1 in QLD)
    when the true battlers,which make up a big majority of our sport,are out there racing week in week out for 2 fifths of ****all

Member Yearling HarnessFan will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jeroen Nieuwenburg
    Horses
    Hokonui Ben Dartmoor Countess Jill
    I totally agree, not so much the removal of 2yo racing, but the removal of feature races.
    I believe that a 2yo is not physically ready to race without significant wear and tear.
    You can talk to most in the industry and they will agree - "but I have to, that is where the money is"

Member Yearling Bandito will become famous soon enough Bandito's Avatar
    Real Name
    John Banner
    Occupation
    Relaxing
    Seeing as though we are being controversial. I cannot remember his name or how long ago it was (I am old enough to have memory problems when it comes to details!) but I do remember a leading American trainer who specialized in 2yo's and then moved them on - no matter how good they were. He believed there was a greater chance of ability and legitimate training skill prevailing in 2yo races and he was not prepared 'to compete with the chemists' in the older races!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Have to agree with the big money for two year olds being removed. High probability that you will not have a horse as a 3, 4 or 5 year old if over-raced as a 2 year old and I don't think the industry can afford this.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    G'day Mitch and Jamie,
    I posted three questions in the thread, would you like to have a go at providing your opinion on those?

the questions are basically,

Why? ( did we even start racing 2yos)

How? ( who/what caused the big $$$ for 2yo racing)

Sustainability? ( how much longer will it take to kill every owner out of the game)

Cheers,
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    the title of this thread ( Removing 2yo racing) is obviously going to get a few people off side, but I ask people to step back and take a breath before launching anything.

Firstly I think we should honestly ask the question...why did anyone think racing 2yo's was a good option.

Secondly, how did this actually get off the ground in a "democracy"

and third,

how on earth have so many people been seduced into thinking the 2 yo racing hype was sustainable in our particular horse game?

cheers,
    Dan
    1) One extra year earning income is better than paying costs for no return. Cue short term investment type whinge. So what? If trainers have a horse up and pacing and ready to race at two why should he have to turn it out just so an arbitary date on the calendar tells him his horse is now ready?

2) Wouldn't disallowing 2yo racing be more against democracy? Should have the freedom to race 2yos. Short term investment would be a key one. Cue whinge. But what's wrong with that?

3) 2yo racing has been sustained for a long time now and is growing pretty healthily compared to industry as a whole. Bit rich saying 2yo racing is killing owners out of the game? Any evidence or even a statement on why you think so?

+ Reply to Thread