Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Total removal of 2yo racing for the benefit of the industry

Member Yearling Bandito will become famous soon enough Bandito's Avatar
    Real Name
    John Banner
    Occupation
    Relaxing
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    Congrats Dan. A result's a result's a result...price be damned.
    I can clearly remember that mare's damsire racing, Typhoon Lobell.
    He was by a son of Nero named Lucius Lobell. Years later his (Lucius Lobell's) maternal line produced no less than Somebeachsomewhere. Typhoon Lobell was very smart, a bit ironic in terms of this thread title in that he was a very good 2yo. A bloke by the name of Adams used to drive him. End Trivia.
    A good 2yo who did not race past 4yo
    That family U118 sure did produce Somebeachsomewhere from left left field (maybe Cam Terrific provided the hint)
    Last edited by Bandito; 07-18-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    Congrats Dan. A result's a result's a result...price be damned.
    I can clearly remember that mare's damsire racing, Typhoon Lobell.
    He was by a son of Nero named Lucius Lobell. Years later his (Lucius Lobell's) maternal line produced no less than Somebeachsomewhere. Typhoon Lobell was very smart, a bit ironic in terms of this thread title in that he was a very good 2yo. A bloke by the name of Adams used to drive him. End Trivia.
    Jaimie, Off topic here but how are the Gelato sessions with Dot down at Norton St going?

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    I have no issue with racing 2yo's.

As many others have already suggested it's certainly not for every horse. Some are at their best at 2, while many others improve as they get older.

I think it's quite easy to explain why champion 2yo's often don't go on and perform later in their careers. Quite simply, they are early maturing horses and they are at their best at 2yo. Just like a late maturing horse might peak at 6, 7 or even older.

What I think can be improved with juvenile racing is the crazy prize money on offer in the futurities. Whilst futurity series are all self funding via the 'sustaining' fee process I would much prefer to see the APG (now only a 2yo series), Breeders Crown, Breeders Challenge etc have an even spread of prize money across all age groups and like the Jewels in NZ be extended 5yo's as well. The lure of such big prize money forces owners and trainers to make short term decisions which are not in the best interests of horses at times.
    If the breeders crown for example was of $150k for 2yo's, 3yo's, 4yo's & 5yo's you would still get the best juvenile horses compete.

It will never be removed and nor should it.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    What I think can be improved with juvenile racing is the crazy prize money on offer in the futurities. Whilst futurity series are all self funding via the 'sustaining' fee process I would much prefer to see the APG (now only a 2yo series), Breeders Crown, Breeders Challenge etc have an even spread of prize money across all age groups and like the Jewels in NZ be extended 5yo's as well. The lure of such big prize money forces owners and trainers to make short term decisions which are not in the best interests of horses at times.
    If the breeders crown for example was of $150k for 2yo's, 3yo's, 4yo's & 5yo's you would still get the best juvenile horses compete.

Spot On Mitch,
    I only used the word "ban" in order to get people talking because things have been a bit quiet lately,IMO the big end of town prizemoney can itself lead to some/many young horses being pushed too far too many times because of the temptation, training 2YO's is a balancing act that not everyone gets right all the time and who pays the price when it goes wrong? the horse and the owner.

Thanks for the goodwill messages guys, that mare was never going to be a 2yo as she had a development issue as a baby and I never broke her in til she was a late 2YO, then she cut her tendon almost in half in the paddock 3 years ago when I was about to take her to the trials to qualify, getting her to the races was a good thing in itself but today brought a lump to my throat, her mother was an orphan and didn't race at all due to an injury in the paddock just after I broke her in and her grand dam looked like being a nice mare but stuffed her shoulder in the stable....it's been a long time coming that little R0 at Tamworth...

Cheers guys,
    I think the debate is showing many people believe that the level of prizemoney for the major 2 yo races is out of step with what the game needs, which is pretty much my opinion, I've raced a couple of 2yo's myself and one of them won a country classic "Sapling Stakes", but yeah he was really an early comer, not many are and therein lies the problem when there is big money tempting people.

Cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

Thanks for the goodwill messages guys, that mare was never going to be a 2yo as she had a development issue as a baby and I never broke her in til she was a late 2YO, then she cut her tendon almost in half in the paddock 3 years ago when I was about to take her to the trials to qualify, getting her to the races was a good thing in itself but today brought a lump to my throat, her mother was an orphan and didn't race at all due to an injury in the paddock just after I broke her in and her grand dam looked like being a nice mare but stuffed her shoulder in the stable....it's been a long time coming that little R0 at Tamworth...
    Many congratulations Dan !!!
    Cheeers
    Luke and Paul

Senior Member 3YO strong persuader has a spectacular aura about strong persuader's Avatar
    Real Name
    Phil Bourke
    Congrats on the win Dan, even sweeter when you know the background
    Warning: Horses are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

Senior Member Colt G-Mac will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Glen McWilliams
    Horses
    Jewel Castle Diamond Castle
    Great story Dan. Congratulations.

Senior Member 2YO HISGEN65 will become famous soon enough HISGEN65's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lewin
    Occupation
    Full time job..sadly
    Horses
    Sign of Perfecshon-Highview Sign
    Great story Dan...congrats mate

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Well done Dan. I assume you will be sipping Pino coladas in the Bahamas next week!!

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Thanks Luke and Paul,Phil Glen,James and Harvey, Danno is a very happy camper today and Harvey I am definitley sipping cold VB's under the shade of breezy palm in my mind at the moment.

Thanks again guys.

+ Reply to Thread