Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I have no issue with racing 2yo's.

As many others have already suggested it's certainly not for every horse. Some are at their best at 2, while many others improve as they get older.

I think it's quite easy to explain why champion 2yo's often don't go on and perform later in their careers. Quite simply, they are early maturing horses and they are at their best at 2yo. Just like a late maturing horse might peak at 6, 7 or even older.

What I think can be improved with juvenile racing is the crazy prize money on offer in the futurities. Whilst futurity series are all self funding via the 'sustaining' fee process I would much prefer to see the APG (now only a 2yo series), Breeders Crown, Breeders Challenge etc have an even spread of prize money across all age groups and like the Jewels in NZ be extended 5yo's as well. The lure of such big prize money forces owners and trainers to make short term decisions which are not in the best interests of horses at times.
If the breeders crown for example was of $150k for 2yo's, 3yo's, 4yo's & 5yo's you would still get the best juvenile horses compete.

It will never be removed and nor should it.
I'm not as knowledgable as you guys but I agree it would be much better to spread the $$ evenly over 2yo 3yo 4yo and 5yo.

I'm relatively 'young' I think in this industry, I spend a fair bit at the yearling sales and plan on doing so well into the future, and I can tell you if they had a better spread of prizemoney like mentioned above it would only enhance my enthusiasm to be buying more horses and yearlings into the future.

However if it stays like it is now with the 2yos getting the lions share, well put it this way I have given serious consideration this year to not paying my yearling up for the Gold just because it is so focused on 2yo with nothing for any other age group.

I don't think that sort of lure is good for the industry overall, to be encouraging owners to get their horse absolutely flying as a very early 2yo.