+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Total removal of 2yo racing for the benefit of the industry

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Nobody says you have to race a horse at 2. No different to drafting footballers at 17. Those that are ready, play in their first season. Others may not play for 2-3 seasons.

Im the mightyquinn raced 8 times as a 2yo. Racing better than ever now as a 9yo.

Our Sixpence raced 7 times as a 2yo. Almost 7 now and had her best ever season.

Forever Gold raced 15 times as a 2yo and now in career best form

Washakie raced 6 times as a 2yo and still racing in GC company at 9

Has the Answers - the ultimate war horse raced 15 times as a 2yo and still very competitive at the FFA level

These are just a few examples I quickly looked up. Im sure there are countless others. The bottom line is that some horses mature early and others later, but just because you race at 2 doesnt mean you wont be racing successfully much later on.
    Last edited by mightymo; 07-17-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    I should probably retract that statement about removing the big money from 2 year old racing because it is taking away the choice to race a horse that has matured early but I do know over many years
    I have seen many outstanding young horses show great promise as a 2 year old and when bought back for their 3 & 4 year old campaign have been extremely disappointing. Harvey gives some good examples
    of horses that have raced on but I guarantee there are just as many that haven't and you would be hoping that a 2 year old that's shown superiority over its rivals to continue the pattern.

Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Lombo Pocket Watch is the best 2yo I have seen race. He was a very, very good 3yo but nowhere near as dominant and then as a 4yo and older he came back to the pack.

Some may say that if he never raced at 2 he would have been much better at 3 and onwards. On the other hand, he may have been no better and instead missed out on being the special 2yo that he was.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    To the first question Danno i know 2yo's were racing in 1939 as the family won the Goulburn Sapling Stakes back that far.I have a picture of it somewhere the only reason i know that far back. I think a lot of the 2yo's going around shouldn't be, they just aren't ready yet but a lot of that come's from greed and stupidity by pushing them to early when not ready. Bathurst alway's has a good line up for the crown but the Breeders Challenge fields were very ordinary as far as number's were concerned, why is this i wonder.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymo View Post
    Lombo Pocket Watch is the best 2yo I have seen race. He was a very, very good 3yo but nowhere near as dominant and then as a 4yo and older he came back to the pack.

Some may say that if he never raced at 2 he would have been much better at 3 and onwards. On the other hand, he may have been no better and instead missed out on being the special 2yo that he was.
    Good point Harvey. One just needs to look at the inconsistencies of the AFL draft and or junior champs in any sport to see that things change as some mature.

Member Yearling HarnessFan will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jeroen Nieuwenburg
    Horses
    Hokonui Ben Dartmoor Countess Jill
    Here are the last few APG 2y0 winners - not one champion (except Majestic Mach)

(Melb)
    BLACK LINE (T J Robinson)
    1609m
    2:00.0
    (Bris)
    KATHRYN DANCER (K E Gath)
    1609m
    1:58.0
    (Syd)
    EMMAS ONLY (K E Gath)
    1760m
    1:58.2
    (Melb)
    SAME OLD MACRAY (A E Tubbs)
    1609m
    (Bris)
    LOMBO POCKET WATCH (G J Fitzpatrick)
    1660m
    1:56.9
    (Syd)
    GREG KELLY (B A Harpley)
    1770m
    1:59.3
    (Melb)
    BUS TO HARLAND (G Lang)
    1609m
    1:58.6
    (Bris)
    CUTTHEATTITUDE (J C Brown)
    1660m
    1:57.0
    201020(Syd)ROYAL VERDICT (I J Dornauf)1609m1:57.1201121(Melb)MR NICKEL (G R Sugars)1720m1:56.5201222(Bris)MAJESTIC MACH (G W Dixon)1609m1:55.8

Senior Member 3YO strong persuader has a spectacular aura about strong persuader's Avatar
    Real Name
    Phil Bourke
    Whilst I am not against 2yo racing, I am definitely against 2yo's that get busted in an endeavour to be a 2yo!

I like to point out to people that when we start talking about millionaire horses, we are talking about older horses that have won InterDominions and Miracle Miles etc, though if you have a handy 2yo, only a fool would not have a crack at putting some money in the bank account.

Here is an article that suggests that if we think we are saving them by not racing them at 2, we may be robbing both the horse and ourselves!
    http://horsetalk.co.nz/2013/07/14/st...#axzz2ZCqnr5Od
    Warning: Horses are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train
    Quote Originally Posted by HarnessFan View Post
    Here are the last few APG 2y0 winners - not one champion (except Majestic Mach)

(Melb)
    BLACK LINE (T J Robinson)
    1609m
    2:00.0
    (Bris)
    KATHRYN DANCER (K E Gath)
    1609m
    1:58.0
    (Syd)
    EMMAS ONLY (K E Gath)
    1760m
    (Melb)
    SAME OLD MACRAY (A E Tubbs)

1609m
    (Bris)
    LOMBO POCKET WATCH (G J Fitzpatrick)
    1660m
    1:56.9
    (Syd)
    GREG KELLY (B A Harpley)
    1770m
    1:59.3
    (Melb)
    BUS TO HARLAND (G Lang)
    1609m
    1:58.6
    (Bris)
    CUTTHEATTITUDE (J C Brown)
    1660m
    1:57.0
    201020(Syd)ROYAL VERDICT (I J Dornauf)1609m1:57.1201121(Melb)MR NICKEL (G R Sugars)1720m1:56.5201222(Bris)MAJESTIC MACH (G W Dixon)1609m1:55.8

Gee if Lomobo Pocketwatch isn't a champion your a hard task master!! Emma's Only returned the next season to win the Vic Derby and Greg Kelly was the fastest horse I have ever seen. He was quite simply too fast for his own legs. Remember that the APG is not an open invite to all 2yos in the land. It is a sales graduate race.

Member Yearling HarnessFan will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jeroen Nieuwenburg
    Horses
    Hokonui Ben Dartmoor Countess Jill
    I think the thread is more alluding to the fact that good 2yo's are very unlikely to be competitive in grand circuit races due to wear and tear. My list is therefore self explanatory. Yes I agree, some of these may be lucky to have some residual soundness left to be competitive as 3yo's.

Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    In Emmas Only year, Make me Smile and Sir Galvinator both raced in the final
    In Same Old Macray's year, Special Albert and I am Sam both raced in the final
    In Greg Kelly's year, Rohan Home ran 3rd
    In Bus to Harland's year, Garnet River made the final
    In Cuttheattitude's year, Chariot King ran 2nd

All this shows is that whilst the winner may not go on, there are many others that did go on to be FFA horses

+ Reply to Thread