+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: tying up

Hybrid View

Junior Member Foal tipster111 will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mark mark

tying up

hi there i have a pacer whos been tying up anyone got any suggestions on the best way to manage this problem? horses diet has been changed and he has daily turnout! any supplements or other measures that can be taken? many thanks mark.

Junior Member Foal Brent T will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Taylor

Tying up

Hi all, new member after some advice please. Our 3yo filly keeps tying up. I hear there are some patches you can use as treatment. Does anyone have any experience in using these or could suggest any other options available?
    Thanks

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Pretty big subject Brent particularly with fillies mares, there are a number of different causes and a minefield of potential remedies.

Those that are inclined to tie up should NEVER get a day off once they are getting close to race fit, keep oats out of the diet, ensure they are drinking well, if not increase their intake of salts to encourage and if that doesn't work you may need to drench regularly. Increase the intake of branch chain amino acids, pastes like BC2A are a good source. Magnesium and selenium defficencies can also be a catalyst for the onset of episodes as well.

Work wise keep sprint work to a minimum, try and stick to longer workouts with less speed.

that's a couple of things, what you will find is they are all different and the big thing is prevention....once they have an episode you usually need to give them a bit of a let up ( week or two) to get the system cleaned up.

Member Filly squaregaiter will become famous soon enough squaregaiter's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bruce Dalton
    Hi Brent, not sure if you are a “newbie” to the forum like myself or a “newbie” to “training” however as Danno has already pointed out it seems a “simple” and common request but it is a huge subject that many people and companies have all sorts of products for but all those who do manufacture agree on one thing only, they have no idea in real terms what causes the problem as it can be a case of so many things. Most will say things like will “aid” or “help” but no one goes out on a limb and says they have the answer as it is so complexed in the first place.

What Danno has said is 100% correct however it goes much further than that also. I owned several years ago a high profile city TB horse that tied up and in short I was with a trainer who presented his horses spot on each and every time he went to the races (over a 90% strike rate money earners to starters) and he was pedantic in the way he presented his horses and crossed every t and dotted the I’s however this horse got the better of him in the end, so I went about over a period of time researching this subject to the “enth degree “and finally put together a 40 page book on blood for him that broke up in laymens terms what part of each of the blood” segments” were and the causes that can be learnt from it with readings that are bad.

The reason I mention this is IMHO take a blood and send it off to have analyzed, it will tell you just where you are at. Supplements / Paste/Patches are not cheap and in the end you may find other reason than you are treating for and whilst a blood will cost you maybe $85 if it is done correctly then it will save you not only money but heartache. Be mindful of when you take the blood as it will change to some degree just after work and when the horse gets tense and then make sure you get it to the lab quickly if you have one near you. You are not looking at what they may tell you or what you need/flogged to you but if you read the analysis you will see yourself where the problems lie, as Donno mention there are several things that you would look for that is “out of whack”, look careful and Red & White Cells count , Lymphocytes and Neutrophils but the first one you will find should be the CK & AST counts.
    The patches you were refereeing to are possibly Equiwinner and again as Danno suggested BC2A paste but try and get the USA made one not the local one. A company in Sydney called Ranlab ( not vet) also manufacturers a paste the same as the USA formula and there is a difference between them and from experience the USA formula is worth the $1.50 extra if you are giving that sort of treatment. As Danno says it is a big subject and we could fill the entire
    Hope this helps some and not gives you more headaches J

Junior Member Weanling AllAboutArt will become famous soon enough AllAboutArt's Avatar
    Real Name
    Adam Muldoon
    Occupation
    bike sales
    Horses
    Burning Ambition,All About Art,DeliverdW
    Where can I get this paste please

Member Yearling hillbillydeluxe will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Michael Freeman
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    now-Generals Daughter & Passaic River
    from memory Knyoselene was used on fillies/mares when tying up but of course that was about a decade ago but worked very well.

Real Name
    Bruce Dalton
    Adam as mentioned you can buy BC2A (same as the USA) at RanLAB, you can google them and then ask for Angelo you can mention Bruce told you ololololol ( as mentioned not the ranvet brand) and in regard to Kynoselen there is 2 types the one we have found that works better is the " French" Kynoselene , hope this helps

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Kynoselen, no longer available, Enerselen is its replacement

Real Name
    Bruce Dalton
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Kynoselen, no longer available, Enerselen is its replacement
    Hi Danno I was referring to FRENCH Kynoselne (Vétoquino) not the "generic" one. I have not used the Enerselen however in looking at the ingredients they are nothing like the formula of the French Kynoslene

Junior Member Weanling AllAboutArt will become famous soon enough AllAboutArt's Avatar
    Real Name
    Adam Muldoon
    Occupation
    bike sales
    Horses
    Burning Ambition,All About Art,DeliverdW
    Quote Originally Posted by squaregaiter View Post
    Adam as mentioned you can buy BC2A (same as the USA) at RanLAB, you can google them and then ask for Angelo you can mention Bruce told you ololololol ( as mentioned not the ranvet brand) and in regard to Kynoselen there is 2 types the one we have found that works better is the " French" Kynoselene , hope this helps
    Thanks Bruce I have sent them a email

+ Reply to Thread