Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Stud Owners

triplev123
    If various Studs down here were to voluntarily limit the books of some of their sires & advertise their fees on that basis then that would be fine.
    I do however have a very big problem with legislated book limits in this marketplace...especially by way of the fact that only a minority of foals bred every season in Australia will see a sale ring.
    I very much doubt it's ever going to happen because the slab of off-season income that the Northern Hemisphere Farms/Syndicates receive from the Southern Hemisphere activities of their sires is money for Jam, they all know that.
    Furthermore, while they will not come out and say as much publicly, because of the fact that over & above the $ paid for the Southern Hemisphere Rights nearly all of these high profile horses are standing on the ongoing basis of a % of Southern Hemisphere generated income being repatriated to the US Syndicates. As such they're more than happy for their sires to come down here and hit every mare that moves because it has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the US Yearling Sale Market. They're on an earner to nothing.
    Don't be fooled by the tut-tutting that goes on from time to time out of the US with regard to some shuttle sires hitting big Southern Hemisphere books. It is just window dressing for the US marketplace. Those crazy Southern Hemisphere Farms are at it again. Behind the scenes though, the syndicates are just like everyone else in business. They're all rubbing their hands together with glee and thanking the Lord above for their good-fortune.

nat
    Yes (I tried several times to him) but with returns there is still potential that the stars align and he could end up with 200+ foals on the ground with 20-30 misses(My question was purely hypothetical and I could have most likely put it a different way, what if they were capped from the start 120-140 including returns maybe a little over and you knew that every year that was your competition at the sales would that make them woth it at the higher service fee's)

Yes Lis Mara was a real racehorse with some good blood behind him has it all there to make it as a stallion and there are a few more out there that just need a chance

nat
    Hi Triplev123

I don't believe in stallion limit either just a provocative question I put out there, and you right it's money for jam for these syndicates sending their prized stallions down here on the off season 15- 20 years ago they would have been just standing around in the paddock getting fat. I don't know why some of the big named stallions and studs have refused to come down here in the past knowing this like Hanover Shoe Farm

triplev123
    G'day Nat,

Indeed. I've always been certain that Dragon Again would fire on all cylinders here. At the very least I wish that Hanover would send some frozen semen down. If he's not a sire/if that's not a sireline that would be successful in Australia I'll eat my old lawn mowing shoes...and let me tell you, they're damned festy old foot coverings. There are 2 sons of DA here in Oz at the moment, Sutter Hanover and Moon Beam. It'll be interesting to see how they shape up.

nat
    Yeh I always hoped and prayed that Cams Card Shark would come down under a top racehorse (well bred) sire of real racehorse and sires of sires and to boot only stands for $7500 in the US only thing now he's getting on would have loved to see him here 10 years ago.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Triple/Nat

I agree with you both as they are 2 great stallion's and without knowing the logistics of bringing frozen semen over it's a wonder more studs aren't doing it. Hanover Shoe Farm send Western Ideal and SBSW down here so it's a wonder they don't have a deal with a stud where the stallion's that don't come out here they send frozen semen over instead. So that way you would have access to Dragon Again, Cams Card Shark and Well Said just to name a few and then there's the Trotters they have such as Andover Hall, Donato Hanover, Explosive Matter and Cantab Hall and i'm not to sure if any of these trotters are already available via frozen semen at the present time.

triplev123
    Real racehorses indeed. Another terrific influence, an unbroken line from Meadow Skipper through to Cam's Card Shark & at every step of the way it's sireline that has always worked here...sons of Most Happy Fella, sons of Cam Fella, now sons of Cam's Card Shark. Next season you'lll have access to Bettor's Delight, Four Starzzz Shark and Shark Gesture as well.

triplev123
    Some horses may be EVA positive Mango so that pens them straight away, shuttle or frozen.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Yes thats true they could be EVA positive and there are probably a lot of other reasons why they can't or won't send frozen over, even a sire such as Camluck would of been good to have access to his semen.

triplev123
    I'm almost certain Camluck is EVA.

+ Reply to Thread