Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Stud Owners

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Well that rule's him out, what a pitty.

nat
    What stallions would you like to see out here in the flesh or even available frozen semen

nat
    Another provocative question (not saying it would or will ever happen or work with investment made by studs on buying stallions and it hurting their investments, boy I have visions of the government stepping into the dockyards again in saying this)

What be your thought on the controlling body getting involved in bringing out a stallion to boost the breed along maybe even subsidized fees?

I think mainly in the line of the top trotting stallion like a Muscles Yankee, Credit Winner and the Halls- Angus,Andover,Conway where the stud fee for the finest trotters are normally in the top echelon of service fees of the breed and not really a commercial decision in the southern hemisphere. We have all seen the deeds of Muscle Yankee in his small contribution to the southern hemisphere

buster
    western ideal would be amazing if he could be 13k fresh

nat
    Hi buster

And a boost to the industry with a flow on effect with broodmares and stallion prospects coming from within our country

triplev123
    G'day Nat,

The unproven brigade aside, from the proven group I don't know if there's all that much that could reasonably be added really.
    If you look at the US 2010 3yo Sires Earnings List we're pretty well served. Of the top 20, 12 are or will be or have been available here at one time or another. Western Hanover is deceased, Cambest is well past it and as I said before Camluck's EVA I think so in effect we have/had access to 12 of the top 17 possibles & I wouldn't mind betting that a few of the non-availables are also EVA so that would further narrow the numbers.
    Edit [FORGET IT...tried sending a table too...absolute debacle.] As I said before, Dragon Again would be good and maybe Real Artist...you'd think he'd go well here too. From that point onwards...I'm drawing a bit of a blank. On the unproven roster, Well Said aside, I think we've aleeady got or we soon will have access to pretty much every half decent horse there is going.
    Last edited by triplev123; 03-21-2011 at 09:09 PM.

nat
    I think we do alright now it just one of those dream away things like when we finally got access to Artsplace down here, he might had been past it on cutting edge but I sure would love one or two of his mares floating around

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Well Said for sure, he had the looks, pedigree and race track performance to go with it. Has been fully booked since entering stud and again was booked early this year, he should get every chance to make a stallion as he would get some of the best mare's at Hanover Shoe farms. Just a question on Well Said when watching him race and even in some photo's you see an orange towel looking thing under his tail was he a windsucker or is there another explanation.

buster
    triple v those 5 extra stallions if available in a perfect world would be the difference between the top sires being 12-5k and being 8-10k

triplev123
    That's true to some extent Buster...fees wise the more the merrier because it does exert some downward pressure, but at the very top end of the market there will always be a demand for some level of exclusivity. It also makes me wonder...at what point do we reach saturation? if we have not done so already.
    The competition is pretty damned fierce as it is & it's set to escalate again this coming season. Maybe some of the more marginal performers numbers wise might not return this year to be replaced by others but nevertheless. My initial reaction is that there can't possibly be enough Breeders out there in AUS & NZ combined that are willing to pay some of the fees being proposed in order to fill the books of, or at least give some sort of reasonable patronage to, the number of sires that will be available.
    In saying that, I've predicted some correction for quite a few seasons now and it is yet to come. It may never do so. In fact if anything it has largely gone the other way.
    For an explanation of that I go back again to the number of foals bred and sold at Sales here in Oz versus the number that are retained and raced by their breeders. The basic 75/25 split in favour of the breed to race brigade speaks volumes as to who it is out there in Breeder Land that is willing to pay the higher fees.
    The Sales Breeders make a lot of noise with regard to fees and rightly so because in that section of the business the margins are often so tight...but the breed to race crew just line up on the best horse they can afford & fire away and that's where the $$$ lies because they make up 3/4's of the business.

+ Reply to Thread