Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Stud Owners

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Love of Courage

If you could pick up a well bred yearling that would be the go that way you can race it first and hopefully recoup some money. You should talk to a few studs who bring stallions out and see if they can get it a bit cheaper when bringing multiple horses out at one time.

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Of Courage View Post
    Hello Triplev123,

I had considered buying a mare in the US not in foal and getting the mare bred to Southern Hemisphere time. Unfortunately this is not acceptable to the stud managers. Another option may be to get a mare in foal to him & bring her over in foal. At some of the yearling sales quite a few well bred Dragon Again yearlings sold for reasonably low prices. The killer is the cost $20,000 approx to bring a horse from the US to Aus.

An additional cost involved with importing a pregnant mare from the US to Australia is that she has to be quarantined until after the foal is born.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Eliteblood

I don't know anything about the quarantine laws so could you please explain why a mare has to stay quarantined untill the foal is born.

Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Unless the rules have since been relaxed, and I doubt it, I imported a pregnant mare in 2000 and that is what I had to do.
    An alternative was to bring her to NZ, let her foal there, and then bring them both to Australia.

triplev123
    After their usual post entry Quarantine period is up you can actually take the mare out of the facility and foal her down at home if you have 'Quarantine Approved' premises but being granted that status can be and most often is a a nice old Pig in a Poke in itself.

Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    That is exactly what I did - double fenced a paddock with dogproof fencing and had it approved by AQIS.

triplev123
    The current regulations applying to importing pregnant mares are nothing short of absurd, IMO. Once they have done their time in Quarantine then they should be released forthwith.

Flashing Red
    I stand to be corrected, but some who wanted to bring back their mare last year wanted to bring her back in foal to Rocknroll Hanover but was told that pregnant mares could no longer fly to Australia. I'm not sure how true this is, but this was a very nice mare and the people that own here aren't dummys.

Does anyone know for sure??

Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashing Red View Post
    I stand to be corrected, but some who wanted to bring back their mare last year wanted to bring her back in foal to Rocknroll Hanover but was told that pregnant mares could no longer fly to Australia. I'm not sure how true this is, but this was a very nice mare and the people that own here aren't dummys.

Does anyone know for sure??
    Pregnant mares can be imported from the USA to Australia up until 7 months pregnant. They must then be held in an approved quarantine facility until after they foal.

Flashing Red
    Thanks , so it would be better to import as close to the 7 months as possible to spend the least time in quarantine then, I take it?

+ Reply to Thread