Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Harness Racing's New Approach - MY Aunt Tilly

Member Filly Allan will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Allan Schott

Harness Racing's New Approach - MY Aunt Tilly

Let me state up fron that the article on harnesslink today was obviously written by a supporter of Joe Faraldo. I should state right now, while I admire what Mr. Faraldo has done for his horsemen, his solution is not going to help keep harness racing active.

But first, let's deal with the Plainridge cut in takeout to 15% on all wagers. A great thing for all bettors. For those willing to wager on second striing racing stock (hey, it's a fact), like I would this is a great thing. One problem is I will likely not have the opportunity to wager on their signal and suspect Plainridge may be taken to the woodshed on this one. The fact they are selling their signal to live racing facilities for 1% is great. However, they are going to be choking if they think Rockingham Park (an inactive track) and ADWs are going to pay 8% for their signal; especially when the average charge is 3% in the industry. For the record, I am an ADW player, primarily because I have a disability.

I think racetracks should get more for their signal from ADWs. Unfortunately, without a unified effort to price signals at a higher rate for ADWs (which may border on violating anti-trust laws depending on how it is done), Plainridge's signal will likely be passed on by most, if not all ADWs. If any do, good by rebates which are important to the heavy hitters of which I am most certainly not.

What tracks should do is form their own ADW and operate it as a non-profit business. The only deduction in the commissions should be for the expense in operating the ADW with the rest of their takeout being sent to the hosting track as if wagered on track, but they won't do it.

As to other comments in the article. I believe Axelrod was misunderstood when he said harness racing will be reduced to five major tracks. In other articles in Hoofbeats, Ivan Axelrod has noted the biggest problem with harness racing is directors and decision makers in the industry who are unwilling to make changes or feel it is hopeless. It is the directors of the USTA with this attitude which will make harness racing contract to five or six major tracks; not the will of any chairman of the board.

Mr. Faraldo has problems with Mr. Gural probably because he wants horsemen to help contribute funds to marketing. In the perfect world all the stakeholders would contribute to the marketing of the sport but in reality, many racinos would be just as happy to see racing disappear. Do you think they are going to market the sport? The sad reality, is it is up to the horsremen to market the sport as they are the ones which have the most invested in racing's survival. While Mr. Faraldo is likely applauding the takeout reduction at Plainridge, it should be noted that while Tioga's horsemen have accepted a takeout reduction, Vernon Downs horsemen have refused. Is it coincidence that Mr Farldo has influence with the Vernon horsemen? What about Yonkers cutting their takeout rates? Especially since so little of the purse account comes from wagering? You don't see a cut there.

Mr. Faraldo calls for unlimited racing at tracks. There is too much racing going on diluting pools which makes the races unbettable. Seth Rosenfeld, a director of the Hambo Society plays thoroughbred racing because the pools in harness racing are too small. Last year I looked at The Red Mile's simulcasting calendar and there were over twenty harness tracks being simulcasted. Is there a need for twenty harness tracks to race on one day? The fact is the only way you are going to get pools higher and bettable is if there are less tracks racing. I am not suggesting any track be closed, but tracks need to have definite seasons; not all year racing. Even Balmroal which is racing for poor purses, could see their purses double just by racing half the time they do know thanks to simulcasting. Smaller tracks racing for three months a year could over decent purses, but it seems horsemen don't want to either lose jobs or are unwilling to travel like they did in the past.

Harness racing is a sick industry and it will require contraction. Certainly not forced contraction, but natural contraction if changes are not made. I understand Mr. Faraldo doesn't want people to see unemployed, but if we don't lose the excess capacity, a lot more people are going to be unemployed.

I don't want to paint Mr. Faraldo as the anti-Christ. He certainly has done some good things. He attempted a joint Meadowlands-Yonkers wager and is open to some new ideas. He realizes there are problems which Phil Langley seems to be in denial. My main problem with Mr. Faralo is his demand to races as much possible and the demand that tracks market the sport; horsemen should just show up and race. But then with slot revenue in New York, he is talking from a position of strength. I would like to see what he would be saying if he was representing Illinois horsremen.

Regardless it be Mr. Gural or Mr. Faraldo, or whomever. Unless the industry starts working in a coordinated effort on a national level instead of our parochial interests, the sport will continue to fail.
    Interested in Harness Racing? Read View From the Racetrack Grandstand

Member Gelding trotpace will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    I agree with a lot of what you said Allan.

I think its great that Plainridge is at least trying something to keep racing afloat.
    I'm not a big Faraldo fan and find that he doesn't really have the horseman's best interest.

Member Gelding trotpace will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    One track is noticing a dramatic increase in wagering after lowering takeout on a popular multi-leg wager. That track is Balmoral Park, who will offer guaranteed $15,000 Pick 4 pools every weekend in the month of April with the help of the USTA Strategic Wagering initiative, as well as $25,000 on Sundays.
    Since the takeout on the pick 4 was lowered to 15 per cent after the 2009 season, the Balmoral Pick 4 has showed extraordinary gains in a down market. Players across North America have responded to the takeout reduction in large numbers, making the Balmoral Pick 4 a must play with multi-race bettors.
    During the 2009 season, the pick 4 average pool was $8,827. The 2010 season brought the debut of the 15 per cent takeout on the pick 4.The wager proved increasingly popular with the takeout reduction and when the year end results were in, over $2,000,000 was wagered on the Pick 4 in 2010. Statistics showed that the average pool rose to $14,211 with the lower takeout in 2010, an increase of more than 61 per cent.
    The momentum has continued into the 2011 season. Over 37 nights of harness racing, players have wagered $590,380 on the Balmoral Pick 4, a nightly average of $15,956. When compared with the pools in 2009 with the old takeout, the Balmoral Pick 4 pool average has increased over 80 per cent in 15 months.
    The Balmoral Pick 4, offered on the final four races of the evening, has a minimum wager of one dollar.

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/new...-increase.html

+ Reply to Thread