Member Gelding broco will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    monique parsons
    Occupation
    trainer/driver
    Horses
    cullens moose, somart, ladybird

Wanting advice on stallion choice please

For the breeding buffs I would love some opinions on what stallions you think would suit this mare.
    I was entrusted with the care and safe keeping of the glorious old brown roan racemare ladybird a few years back when she was having trouble retaining her foals in a commercial stud situation.
    As a crazy person who has a vision of one day breeding the fastest coloured pacers to grace Australia I have used ladybird as my foundation mare for this purpose and with the quiet life and one on one attention of being undisputed queen of my paddock she has granted me the gift of 2 fillies (both by the coloured pacing stallion command a dance), one has just turned 3yo a bay roan and white pinto filly who we all have an opinion of she is just yet to confirm it having taken time to mature up top, and then this season a stunning black roan filly, now what I want to do is put ladybird to a top sire for (hopefully) a filly to replace her as she is not getting any younger.

She was mainly put to aces and sevens who although he has his winners ive never been a fan of, this would be my one and only saved up splash out into the best sires, so wanting to give it the best shot possible as she is yet to produce one as good as herself and it will be pot luck but happy to take my chances.
    With her previous problems I don't think frozen semen would be an option or stallions with hit and miss fertility so looking for the more experienced breeders opinions on what you think would be the click with her to get hopefully one a quarter as good as her which will do me fine.
    The best bit as breeder/trainer/driver ill get to take the foal all the way through myself and that's the part of this industry I love the most.

I myself like art major, shes an easy mare type wise 16hands stands 4 square and produces a very athletic correct foal (even to a coloured stallion hehe) her foals can be a little hot nothing nasty to them and very easy to train but that bit of attitude (which to me they need).
    Anyway all suggestions welcome and greatly appreciated.

I have one coloured mare "elegant white dove" going to Auckland reactor (yes I know some will say im crazy because they don't like him as a stallion but I think he has something to offer) this year, and my young mach three mare soho leigh off to a coloured stallion this season, the coloured stock is so backward in their pedigree and need all the help they can get but by putting some top mares to colour and owning 2 of the nicest bred coloured mares in Australia "elegant white dove" and "secret lilly" (still poorly bred by all means but nicer than most lol) maybe just maybe dreams will come true somewhere in the next 20 odd years.
    Any tips on how to improve the coloureds also appreciated and yes I know full well many consider them a lost cause lol

cheers mon

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Hi Mon,

It is near impossible to suggest one stallion, there are so many high quality options available, but as you are taking one shot at breeding a future broodmare I would suggest that you do go with a proven stallion and one with an impeccable pedigree.
    Art Major has been a great sire from day one - in Australia, New Zealand and USA. He is a lovely horse and he throws good looks, size and athleticism into a high proportion of his offspring. Just what you want in a broodmare. He is by a great sire in Artsplace and his maternal family is exceptional. He ticks every box so if you like him you should go to him IMO.

Member Gelding broco will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    monique parsons
    Occupation
    trainer/driver
    Horses
    cullens moose, somart, ladybird
    thanks trevor, yes there are so many great options out there that choosing just 1 is very hard to do, my only concern with art major is if the resulting foal might be too big and heavy (not a fan of the real big ones), the 2 geldings by him we are racing are both big horses, one being an absolute power house (pity he doesn't use some of that power in his races he'd be a star) the other more light and athletic but certainly not a patch on his half brother amorts lol, then I also have a mare by him smaller and finer but build like a brick s**thouse! so just with the old mare being such big heavy girl not sure if it would work or not, but I do love him though I have to remember to use my head not my heart

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I just had a quick look at Panorama broodmares. 8 out of 10 of their fastest and 9 out of 10 of their richest Aust bred foals are by Cam Fella line stallions. I would stick to one of them, there are a lot of them to pick from. Lets hope you get a filly !
    Don't die wondering !

+ Reply to Thread