Roll With Joe
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: For a reason 1:50!!!

Banned Weanling german will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    marty Johnson
    For a Reason will not be invited to the Miracle mile and will be lucky to finish in the top 3 at his next start in a group race or similar. For the person who said he didnt just join in at the 600. Actually he did exactly that he sat back waited for his bro to bury MB then he popped out and ran 600metres!when the damage had been done.
    Last edited by german; 10-17-2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: words

Member Filly Boydy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Boyd
    You obviously miss the point Marty he still covered the distance in 1:50.

Plenty of horses take a sit of a hot speed and can't run 1:50 he could have won by a metre and gone 1:51.8

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    Until such time as the big punters (whom the COT rule was brought in to placate) decide to step up & contribute towards service fees, agistment, feed, Vet & Training bills...they can go and slam right up their respective fundamentals...vigorously, hard & sideways...that which they have totally erroneously come to see as their God given 'right' to know exactly what an Owner's horse may or may not be doing when the arms of the Mobile Barrier fold back.
    Not many times Jamie and I agree completely, but this is one of them!
    Last edited by Danno; 10-17-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    You obviously miss the point Marty he still covered the distance in 1:50.

Plenty of horses take a sit of a hot speed and can't run 1:50 he could have won by a metre and gone 1:51.8
    Thanku Boydy, its not that hard really...i understand partially his thoughts on why his opinion is what it is based on the way the race was run, but, yes the time is the time. He did run 1609, not 600...

Senior Member Colt Chariots will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ray Coote
    The COT rule will always be subject to conjecture. I don't agree with this god given right for owners to decide on a significant change of tactics and not tell anyone either. I am pretty sure that owners would not be racing for ribbons if the punters weren't funding the stake money. Having said that the other big financial contributors are the owners and without both there would be no industry. Getting the right balance is the key factor.

Member Filly Boydy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Boyd
    Maori I think he misses the point that sheer speed is something that can't be replicated. The winner last year didn't run as fast on the back of a fast speed, granted not as fast as last Saturday night but that is the mystic of the Miracle Mile.

There have been plenty of unusual choices in the MM in the past but if a horse has run 1:50 the fastest time for a number of years I would invite him. I really think this Miracle Mile has all the attributes of an intriguing if the right horses get there.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Chariots View Post
    The COT rule will always be subject to conjecture. I don't agree with this god given right for owners to decide on a significant change of tactics and not tell anyone either. I am pretty sure that owners would not be racing for ribbons if the punters weren't funding the stake money. Having said that the other big financial contributors are the owners and without both there would be no industry. Getting the right balance is the key factor.
    Ray, just for a moment understand that there are other competitors in your race, now just for a moment think about the advantage they have knowing what your tactics are at the start, and possibly further into the race.......now think about the possibility of everyone knowing EXACTLY what everyone else is saying they are intending to do........the whole thing then becomes completely contrary to a fair contest!!!!! do punters want a fair contest? I suspect so, but there are punters who want to know exactly whats going on so they can play the numbers at the expense of the innocent punters who "play for chance".

I think you will find the people pushing for the COT rule are those punters afforementioned....those that want more certanty, rather than a fair contest.

Banned Weanling german will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    marty Johnson
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Ray, just for a moment understand that there are other competitors in your race, now just for a moment think about the advantage they have knowing what your tactics are at the start, and possibly further into the race.......now think about the possibility of everyone knowing EXACTLY what everyone else is saying they are intending to do........the whole thing then becomes completely contrary to a fair contest!!!!! do punters want a fair contest? I suspect so, but there are punters who want to know exactly whats going on so they can play the numbers at the expense of the innocent punters who "play for chance".

I think you will find the people pushing for the COT rule are those punters afforementioned....those that want more certanty, rather than a fair contest.
    So a FAIR contest would just be restraining for 3 weekes then bursting out to the lead the next week... real fair. Drivers are not telling of every tactic all they are asked to do is let people know if they intend to drive there horse in a different manner to it is usually driven. I see nothing wrong with that. It lets evryone know pro punters and average guessers to a change in the drive of a certain horse which does not normally adopt those tactics! Cot of tactics also helps other drivers who may have been thnking they will lead and then see there is a COT and therefore they may now wish to take a sit instead of being buried themselves allowing them to take a trail knowing say the Fav will now be going further forward. Everyone wins. I guess the smarter people benefit in the end who know the form. If your putting more work into the form you deserve to know more and win more thatn someone who just rolls up and takes a guess! If you want to win more do more form.

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Quote Originally Posted by german View Post
    So a FAIR contest would just be restraining for 3 weekes then bursting out to the lead the next week... real fair. Drivers are not telling of every tactic all they are asked to do is let people know if they intend to drive there horse in a different manner to it is usually driven. I see nothing wrong with that. It lets evryone know pro punters and average guessers to a change in the drive of a certain horse which does not normally adopt those tactics! Cot of tactics also helps other drivers who may have been thnking they will lead and then see there is a COT and therefore they may now wish to take a sit instead of being buried themselves allowing them to take a trail knowing say the Fav will now be going further forward. Everyone wins. I guess the smarter people benefit in the end who know the form. If your putting more work into the form you deserve to know more and win more thatn someone who just rolls up and takes a guess! If you want to win more do more form.
    So should the other drivers then be required to advise a COT in this circumstance.
    Why not just get all the drivers together before the race and work out who is going to be where and what each driver will do during the race and then have it broadcast over sky so that everyone can back the winner?

It is the driver's job to try and win the race, making pre-race plans in response to barrier draws etc. and then making split decisions as the race unfolds, in response to other drivers tactics, the pace of the race, where they have settled in the field, etc., etc. Good drivers are the one's who do that well. Punters know who they are and also who the bad drivers are, it is reflected in the odds, and it is an important consideration in their betting decision.
    It is the stewards job to ensure that the decisions made by the drivers are reasonable in terms of the objective of giving the horse the best opportunity to win the race. The race should not be regulated any more than that IMO.
    Last edited by eliteblood; 10-18-2013 at 06:21 AM.

aussiebreno
    Could you imagine Andrew Johns telling his opposition, were going to run this play where I throw a cut out ball to the winger, so make sure your defence is aware of what is going to happen.

Closed Thread