Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: For a reason 1:50!!!

Junior Member Weanling Hollie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Hollie Smith
    Horses
    Wishing you could have the Bling Team
    Quote Originally Posted by german View Post
    I like ur enthusiasm but please... For a reason will not get an invite for the miracle mile it ran on good race off a farcically run race! Well done on winning but if you look who was running on with him Mr Prezly yeah there's a miracle mile candidate not!

I know that it would be tough for either of them to even get a shot at the miracle mile but you don't rule them out because of the status. F.A.R may have only run one race in that time, but he is only three runs back. Hell, if he ran that time I wonder what Beautide is capable of. All that I can say is that we don't see times like that everyday and I know that it may not have been like that if they didn't go hard at the start, but they still did run that time. Its not like them horses don't just sit there they still have to run trying to keep up with the front horses. I am saying that I am not ruling them out of being contenders in the lead ups, but I don't care if anyone doesn't feel the same.

Member Gelding broco will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    monique parsons
    Occupation
    trainer/driver
    Horses
    cullens moose, somart, ladybird
    funny thing is the "professional punters" got on just fine without the COT rule before, its a load of bull and takes all initiative out of a drive, when all plans go to hell in a hand basket because we are driving stock with a complete mind of their own the last thing that goes through a drivers mind is "oh shit better drive the brains out of our horse to get up there cause that's what we told the punters we would do" most look after their horse first, after all without them the punters wouldn't be betting on anything they would have to go out and find something else to fill their day/night with.
    Great run from For A Reason, even how the race was run he still had to run it to win it and he didn't just win it he bolted it in

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Marty, I think that your overlooking the fact that For A Reason is only the 2nd horse in the Southern Hemisphere to win in 1.50. I think that he would be a perfect candidate for 1 of the lead up races to the Miracle mile. If he holds together and comes out and wins the race in a similar time, He would definitely get an Invite. I think that it was a great run last Saturday night and the race was really run truly as the speed was on all the way and he just let go and streeted the opposition. It's a real pity that there's so much controversy surrounding the race. In North America the FFA races are run like this everyday and that's why they consistently run times of 1.50 or faster.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by broco View Post
    funny thing is the "professional punters" got on just fine without the COT rule before, its a load of bull and takes all initiative out of a drive, when all plans go to hell in a hand basket because we are driving stock with a complete mind of their own the last thing that goes through a drivers mind is "oh shit better drive the brains out of our horse to get up there cause that's what we told the punters we would do" most look after their horse first, after all without them the punters wouldn't be betting on anything they would have to go out and find something else to fill their day/night with.
    Well said!!!

Banned Weanling ScabsCat will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jeff Brooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    Marty, I think that your overlooking the fact that For A Reason is only the 2nd horse in the Southern Hemisphere to win in 1.50. I think that he would be a perfect candidate for 1 of the lead up races to the Miracle mile. If he holds together and comes out and wins the race in a similar time, He would definitely get an Invite. I think that it was a great run last Saturday night and the race was really run truly as the speed was on all the way and he just let go and streeted the opposition. It's a real pity that there's so much controversy surrounding the race. In North America the FFA races are run like this everyday and that's why they consistently run times of 1.50 or faster.
    Oh dear Richard....I hope you are being facetious

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    ScabsCat, do you think it is possible for a horse to "fluke" a time of 1:50? I stand to be corrected, but isn't that the second fastest winning race time EVER in Australia???? he was a bees knee from being only the second horse downunder to run in 1:49 and change!
    If that race had Smoken Up out front running ballistic times (as they did in the race last week) and FAR was sitting exactly where he was is there any reason why he wouldnt have done the same thing????
    A time is a time, yes the leaders cut themselves and couldnt sustain the pace (unlike Smoken Up) and capitulated, but i'm sure FAR actually ran 1609 metres and his time was 1:50, i dont remember him joining in at the 600!
    This means he has the ability, the speed , the endurance, the skill to run an amazing time no matter how you may think he was gifted the race...
    Again as the point of starting this thread was, hopefully we can see a great "story" of him going on with that effort and proving to me and you that he has come back so very well and further goes on to fulfill his potential he promised as a young horse. The Trots needs another challenger in our top ranks, i believe we are a bit thin in depth in Australia at that end, with IMTQ, Smoken Up (nearing the end) Bitobliss???? (still has to put together 2-3 mores runs similar to last and do it against Quinn, and the kiwis), I'm Victorious (same proof needs to be cemented this summer) Excel Stride (still not in the Blacky Mr F category) and CBlaster. So, i reckon we need some great new blood and lets hope for the sport and for the horses sake he continues, cos that little Christen Me is gonna spank every Australian horse going in the next couple of years from what i can see!

Banned Weanling ScabsCat will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jeff Brooks
    I suppose only time will tell if FAR is the real deal or not. My point is that I just don't like races being run that way. By all means put as much pressure on up front as you want, but don't then drop out and finish behind the ambulance. Excel Stride was first up, its going to take a lot to recover from that run.

Member Filly Boydy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Boyd
    Marty, I'm afraid the punters vs owners story is a bit like the chicken and the egg story, neither would be doing with out each other although spending a night at Maitland you realise that there is a core group of trainers/drivers that would do it even if they were racing for ribbons. The facts are however anyone who puts their hand in their pocket to buy and race a horse are certainly not doing it to get rich.

The thing that I object to most is that if you follow the form you should have a good idea where your horse is going to land in a race, you don't need to be told. If there is a race with a number of horses with gate speed and you think you might take a sit and when the gate moves away the speed isn't as hot as you think it was going to be. I want my driver going forward. But if they had to commit before the race and are oblidged to go back even if it means they are not giving your horse the best chance they are tied to a pre race commitment. Think about that, driving a horse so it does not have its best chance of winning because you fear being suspended because you said you were going back. It is crazy!!!

Geulph led in the 1000 guineas yesterday for the first time and the jockey was praised for showing iniative. Change of Tactics is by far the worst rule in harness racing.

Member Filly Boydy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Boyd
    I agree with you Moaris. Very few horses can run 1:50 even in time trials with galloping pacemakers. If a horse is capable of running that time, it has to be a certain invitee.

Banned Weanling german will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    marty Johnson
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Marty, I'm afraid the punters vs owners story is a bit like the chicken and the egg story, neither would be doing with out each other although spending a night at Maitland you realise that there is a core group of trainers/drivers that would do it even if they were racing for ribbons. The facts are however anyone who puts their hand in their pocket to buy and race a horse are certainly not doing it to get rich.

The thing that I object to most is that if you follow the form you should have a good idea where your horse is going to land in a race, you don't need to be told. If there is a race with a number of horses with gate speed and you think you might take a sit and when the gate moves away the speed isn't as hot as you think it was going to be. I want my driver going forward. But if they had to commit before the race and are oblidged to go back even if it means they are not giving your horse the best chance they are tied to a pre race commitment. Think about that, driving a horse so it does not have its best chance of winning because you fear being suspended because you said you were going back. It is crazy!!!

Geulph led in the 1000 guineas yesterday for the first time and the jockey was praised for showing iniative. Change of Tactics is by far the worst rule in harness racing.
    I understand what you are saying. COT does not mean you have to 100% do as you have advised its if circumstances permit. If you say you will be driven further back and you go forward as a result of there being no speed this will be acceptable by the stewards. You will notice some drivers to submit driven further forward if circumstances permit. Driven further back if circumstances permit. The rule is mainly used for horses which lead at all cost then decide they will not be going forward. The rule does need to be policed correctly as well.

Closed Thread