Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bring back Guerin.

Senior Member 2YO Viv Strangman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Viv Strangman

Bring back Guerin.

Never thought I would be publically calling for the return of Michael Guerin to Trackside in Nz but here I am and the reason is simple. Like him or loath him Guerin had a knowledge and understanding of harness racing that is sadly lacking on Trackside at present. As we head into Cup week, we will be offered advice and predictions from presenters who haven't got a clue. Greg O'Connor and the 'Whale" are both able but that's where it ends. We will have Johnny Bright, Brendan Popperwell, Tom Wood and company involved and they just havn't got a clue. They all have a lack of knowledge and understanding of harness racing which is there for all to see by their inability to read and assess races. The public deserve better so hard as it is to say, Michael Guerin is needed--Bigtime.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Viv, I've found Mick Guerin very good to listen to when he's been over this side of the ditch and the times when I've watched NZ racing. I've found him brutally honest in his opinion and not everybody likes that about him. He's been around for a while and has gathered lots of knowledge with the horses and has also been able to ask the hard questions with trainers. He is definitely the man you want at the helm on a big race day.
    Last edited by Richard prior; 11-09-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Junior Member Weanling Iraklis will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Rae Tupaea
    Hey Viv I started pretty much the same thread in RaceCafe some months ago, I too would love to see Mick back on Trackside he just brought knowledge, interesting little tips, out of the ordinary up to date news etc and presented in a way that kept the viewer entertained and interested, and yes he did ask the hard questions of trainers drivers etc but did it in a manner that 'ENTERTAINED' he knew there were alot of 'fans' not just punters out there who loved the information he was getting - providing, I freakin miss his presentations hard! but apparently he has moved on now to other interests, and it would have to be somethin reeeeeeeaaaaaaaallly special to ever get him back to Trackside...............

Cheers Iraklis

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Who's the Race Caller at Alexandra Park please???
    Last edited by Richard prior; 12-21-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    Who's the Race Caller at Alexandra Park please???
    Gday Richard. My son Luke reckons Aaron White. Said used to be George Simons. Might have spelt names wrong but trust me, he'd know! Cheers

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Hey Paul...
    Gosh that son of yours is knowledgeable. he is so right. Only one LETTER wrong...Simon, not Simons.

Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Thanks very much Paul, Young Luke has a pretty sharp mind for the Harness game and I think he will go a long way. Have a great Xmas.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Yes TC u are right. Mowing before. Stopped for break and looked forum on phone. Saw question and yelled it out to Luke. He reeled off names instantly.

Mate of mine used to ferry horses round for a trainer. He was here the other night and Luke asking him lots questions. Mate said "No I carted that horse everywhere. Never raced in SA. These 2 did but not that one". Luke adamant it did. Goes turn on PC to look up.

$10 says he right says me.

I $10 richer!!

Merry Christmas to you too Richard. And everyone else on here.
    Go well

Banned Foal Garrick will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Garrick Knight
    Quote Originally Posted by Viv Strangman View Post
    Never thought I would be publically calling for the return of Michael Guerin to Trackside in Nz but here I am and the reason is simple. Like him or loath him Guerin had a knowledge and understanding of harness racing that is sadly lacking on Trackside at present. As we head into Cup week, we will be offered advice and predictions from presenters who haven't got a clue. Greg O'Connor and the 'Whale" are both able but that's where it ends. We will have Johnny Bright, Brendan Popperwell, Tom Wood and company involved and they just havn't got a clue. They all have a lack of knowledge and understanding of harness racing which is there for all to see by their inability to read and assess races. The public deserve better so hard as it is to say, Michael Guerin is needed--Bigtime.
    I think you are under-selling Greg O'Connor with "able". He is very good at his job.

Senior Member 2YO Viv Strangman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Viv Strangman
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrick View Post
    I think you are under-selling Greg O'Connor with "able". He is very good at his job.
    Competent but hardly outstanding. Greg is very professional and well liked but I don't see anything that suggests he brings the same level of understanding or knowledge of harness racing to the screen that Guerin use to. For that matter i have always preferred Justy to our present presenters but that wasn't the issue I raised. At the big meetings they bring in their galloping presenters to assist the two regulars and the standard is appalling. The Australian TAB continue to use Guerin on the big trans tasman nights. I might find myself disagreeing with him a lot but that's what makes it so interesting. The Auckland carnival is coming up soon and Guerin will report on it for New Zealand's largest newspaper. Shame Trackside doesn't use his talents as well.

+ Reply to Thread