Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pacing Legends

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    This will be my last comment on Gammalite versus Popular Alm. Go back to comment four where I said it is based on the big three pacing events. On that criteria Gammalite wins 3/2, or if you prefer on your quote "If you wanted to do the list based on the horses major victories well here is a Grand Circuit list" end of quote, well I'm afraid Poppy fails miserably on this one - Gammalite 9 - Popular Alm 4. Well aussiebrenno the prosecution rests its case, you've been found guilty.

aussiebreno
    Lol.
    An article on the death of Gammalite calls Poppy the sports greatest ever. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/su...-1111112726228

I cant keep arguing when you change your criteria. In your OP you said you based it on big GC wins or words to that effect hence why I bought up the Grand Circuit list. Then in another post you say its not so much about big GC wins anyway...and then in the very same post go on to list the big GC wins. Hard to play tennis when the net keeps moving.

Anyone else want to post who they think is better out of Poppy and Gammalite. Remembering Poppy wasnt just a Miracle Mile winner; but the BEST winner ever according to polls done of the public just six months ago!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    after having listed all of the horses at the start of the thread, my actual favourite is not there (although I do have a soft spot for Pure Steel because of his gut busting runs and never say die attitude ) No,my personal fav is Gundary Flyer. Saw the horse race in Perth. He had the most sublime pacing action I've ever seen it was just like he was floating in mid air - just magic to watch. Getting back to Pure Steel, I still have a cassette recording of the 1980 Hunter Cup with Paleface in front, Pure Steel on his outside and Koala King just coiled up ready to strike behind the both of them I'm not sure of the race caller then but it was the most electrifying call of any race I have ever heard. Still play it occasionally even now.

Junior Member Foal Bigtone will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    TONY CUNSOLO
    Dictionary description of Champion..........Achieving excellence at a High level over many years. Gammalite is the toughest animal to ever compete on a racetrack in Australia. I remember reading Vin Knight say that he would have swapped all the Wins he had over Gammalite for the two races Gamma beat Poppy in. There was also a lot of stories and rumours coming out of the Knight stable that we will not go into.
    I am also showing bias, as I loved Gammalite ever since I saw him win the Edger Tatlow as a two year old that was such a strong and tough win, and fact is that he was able to do that from a two year old, to 8 years old when he retired, and was a Champion every year that he raced. Read the story about when he went to New Zealand and was travelling for 22 hours, arrived at 2.00am on the day of the race, and still won. Came back and won the AG Hunter Cup the week after. Doubt any other animal could do that. Gammalite the Great!!

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Great horse alright Bigtone, Impossible to compare horses from different era’s, Blacks A Fake best I’ve seen, Gee it would have been a ding dong battle between Gammalite and BAF
    Last edited by Richard prior; 07-13-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I think Classic Gary should get a mention just for his contribution to the breeding industry.
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Totally agree

Junior Member Foal Bigtone will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    TONY CUNSOLO
    Gamma did all the hard work. Sat three wide, went around them in a Mile race, and it took Poppy the length of the straight to get past Gamma......I always say Gamma because of longevity. Was a Champion from Day one, to Day dot...........

Member Filly hugdon will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jim Nelson
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    have bought into a Lincoln Royal filly
    I like you Tony have picked a horse who demoralised his opposition with his will to win. Imo he broke the heart of two mighty horses in Satinover and Rip van Winkle I reckon the mightiest of the mighty was PURE STEEL

Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Steelo was a mighty horse

+ Reply to Thread