Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pacing Legends

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired

Lightbulb Pacing Legends

Not much going on in the threads dept so I thought I'd do a little research and come up with the greatest pacers to have raced in Australia in the past forty years - in order
    1. Blacks A Fake
    2. Our Sir Vancelot
    3. Gammalite
    4. Village Kid
    5. Pure Steel
    6. Westburn Grant
    7. Preux Chevalier
    8. Hondo Grattan
    9. Popular Alm 10.Smoken Up ?
    11.Koala King
    12.Mr Feelgood
    13. Shakamaker
    The results have been decided on the relevance of the horse's major victories.
    Maybe you disagree ?
    Last edited by Mighty Atom; 04-26-2011 at 02:20 PM.

aussiebreno
    How Gammalite gets above Poppy is beyond me! They raced at the same time and Poppy is way better.

Mr Feelgood, really? He has won two of the big GC circuit races but so have plenty others. Recent bias there imo.

Otherwise its a futile exercise comparing the greats of different eras. Eg I could have posted where is Christian Cullen or Koala King or Double Identity but its a silly procedure imo.

If you wanted to do the list based on the horses major victories well here is a Grand Circuit list. http://www.harness.org.au/grandcirc/agc_rwonp.htm

nat
    I agree Aussie it is hard to compare from different era's it's a good list of horses though I have a soft spot for Westburn Grant (Ps. I love them all) was good from the day he started till the day he finished taking on a golden era of horses (Franco Ice another fav and Franco Tiger). A good short doco "The Summer of Frost and Ice" a good watch

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    How Gammalite gets above Poppy is beyond me! They raced at the same time and Poppy is way better.

Mr Feelgood, really? He has won two of the big GC circuit races but so have plenty others. Recent bias there imo.

Otherwise its a futile exercise comparing the greats of different eras. Eg I could have posted where is Christian Cullen or Koala King or Double Identity but its a silly procedure imo.

If you wanted to do the list based on the horses major victories well here is a Grand Circuit list. http://www.harness.org.au/grandcirc/agc_rwonp.htm
    The list only includes Aust horses. I've looked at your GC list - nothing really there that escaped my attention. Can't entirely go on grand circuit wins otherwise Poppy wouldn't be on the list at all. It's been based on the big three ( Inters, Miracle Mile, Hunter Cup) as well as other majors. Gammalite - 83 & 84 inters, 82 Hunter Cup, 82 Auckland Cup, W.A.Pacing cup, 4 S.A. Pacing Cups, 81 Queensland Champs, 2 Freo Cups, Grand Circuit Champion 82, 83, & 84. Popular Alm - 83 Hunter Cup 83 Miracle Mile, 82 & 83 Winfield Cups, 81 & 82 Kilmore Cups. I think Gammalite wins. I did err on the part of Koala King, he probably should have been placed above Mr Feelgood and Paleface Adios.

aussiebreno
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msE1zn3iVFE

Now tell me Gammalite is better.

I mentioned CC as you said horses that raced in Australia in your O.P. On top of that now you have mentioned races in NZ being Auckland Cup and an Inter of Gammalites.

Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Sorry aussiebreno but one swallow does not make a summer, you forgot to mention Poppy's magnificent third to Rhett's Law in the 1982 Inters - give me a break . It doesn't matter where the Oz horses raced, in fact that only enhances Gammalites CV because he achieved great results in New Zealand and Australia wide whereas Popular Alm best wins were in Vic. I suppose you could debate this till the cows come home but one thing is for sure you would be hard pressed to replace any of the horses I've mentioned with another.

aussiebreno
    17 meetings between the two and how many did Gammalite win?
    Gammalite was a great, great horse and probably does deserves a top five spot (oh I hate comparing different eras) but if I had a dollar for every time somebody said Popular Alm was the best ever I would be sipping wine in the caribean; not on here.

Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    I think they may have all been Victorians. No, to me a Miracle Mile win or an Inters or Hunter Cup is what really counts. If Smoken Up can win the Inters he would really break into the top 10.

aussiebreno
    Well in that case Poppy won the Hunter Cup and the Miracle Mile. 2/3. Gammalite won the Hunter Cup and the Inter. 2/3.

Gammalite failed in a Hunter Cup to both Poppy and Koala King. He failed in a Miracle Mile to Poppy. Gammalite beat Poppy in just two races - SA Derby and ID.

Your recent bias is incredible! You want the three most recent Inter winners in your top 15! Short memory!

Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    No, Gammalite won Two Inters so he's one up on Poppy in the big ones. Two wins do not count as one. No bias there, just cold hard facts.
    Last edited by Mighty Atom; 04-04-2011 at 03:40 AM.

+ Reply to Thread