Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars

Lightbulb 2-Y-O racing study

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=22440

Fair dinkum,
    can anyone else see how obviously flawed this study was?
    Talk about engineering a result to suit yourself, ha ha just goes to show how some administrators are so far out of touch!!
    fancy thinking anyone could give this "study" any credibility!

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=22440

Fair dinkum,
    can anyone else see how obviously flawed this study was?
    Talk about engineering a result to suit yourself, ha ha just goes to show how some administrators are so far out of touch!!
    fancy thinking anyone could give this "study" any credibility!
    While I'm on the side 2yo racing isn't necessarily a bad thing for some horses, I couldn't help but shake my head when reading about this study. Parameters are very flawed, I was never good with the Bunsen burners but I reckon my high school experiments had more depth about them then this study. That said I'm not sure it's something that can ever be answered scientifically beyond doubt.

Member Filly Boydy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Boyd
    Obviously we do not always agree Brenno but when I read this story I could not help but laugh. Seems the lunatics have taken kver the asylum

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    This is probably an area where some of the old guys who have had horses all of their lives should have their opinions aired. I have no problems what so ever with horses racing at 2 but the fact remains, they are still growing and are brittle, so it totally depends if the individual horse is ready. It's crazy to assume that you can just take 1 random year and make a judgement.
    Last edited by Richard prior; 01-09-2014 at 08:14 AM.

Member Gelding Tangles will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mj mcmillian
    Pulled up the abstract of the report and yes I believe it raised more questions than answers. Of course a horse that begins racing in the rich futurity/stakes system at 2yrs will earn more than a 4 yr old starting in maiden company racing for ordinary stake money.

In all, the most glaringly and obvious part of the report was over looked. Females earn considerably less than male horses. This must be addressed on all levels of the industry starting from HRA, through the state controlling bodies, to the clubs in their programming. It is obvious the occasional mares only or PBD on sex is not 'cutting the mustard'. Studmasters need to look concessional fee's for filly foals and sale companies need to provide increased incentives to buy females at auction.

To continue as we are will lead to continued poor returns for breeders and the owners of females. Bring on sex splitting of semen. It will be the only way to breed and remain profitable under the system.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Real good points there Tangles, I would like to see females racing against each other until a set age and still have the option to race against the boys if their good enough. David James from Empire Stallions could really help out with the programming as he has a lot of knowledge with the North American system. A level playing field for the prizemoney split would also help to increase the value of fillies at the sales. I would have no problem with semen sorting, The sex of a potential foal always is a consideration when I'm breeding. It would be a lot easier decision on which stallion to breed with if I knew the sex of the foal. I remember reading a while back that North American breeders were givin a concession if their mares had a Direct Scooter filly, as they were a bit ordinary on the track compared to his colts, which seemed like a great idea. They might have been ordinary on the track but left some serious speed when it came to breeding with them.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Timely with the Australian Tennis Open about to start Richard. Don't think we'll need to worry about the females only running over the short course to earn their pay packet but I have bumped into Venus Williams a few times. I think the equine Venus is racing in Western Vic these days. Never tried to talk to her....intimidated 'laughs'

Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Wayne, Serena's(Williams)the one that scares me, Reminds me of my Bettor's mare.
    Last edited by Richard prior; 01-10-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    We(family) have been breeding horse's for just on 90 year's or thereabouts and you could count on 2 hand's the number of 2yo's we have raced ourselves. From my immediate family Grandad, Dad and myself we have only raced 4 that i can remember. 2 of them never got any better as they got older time wise. We bred plenty of 2yo's that raced and won but we preferred to give them time to grow and mature.We would rather win a Derby as a late 3yo than a Gold Crown or Leeton Breeders Plate at 2yo. Some of our horses weren't even tried until late 3yo's or even 4yo. All were broken and gaited up as yearling's and some used as saddle horse's until being put in work, especially any that were a bit piggy.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    This is probably an area where some of the old guys who have had horses all of their lives should have their opinions aired.
    [VVV] No thanks. Over the years I've listened to enough old shaggers spout enough baseless non-scientific old wives tales, bullshit & assorted tripe to last me a lifetime and beyond. The late John Gaines said it best. Conventional wisdom is almost always wrong.

That being said...the following is a patently stupid statement & does the case FOR 2yo Racing no favours as it states the painfully obvious to all. Females earn less eh Doc? No shit.

The study showed that the males, and horses which first raced as two-year-olds earned significantly more prize money than females, and horses which commenced racing age three or over.
    Dr Knight therefore concluded that there was no evidence to suggest that racing as a two-year-old had any deleterious effect on a standardbred’s career.

+ Reply to Thread