Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Fremantle Cup

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Maorisidol View Post
    I hear what u r saying Ray, but times don't determine the "class" of a race, or that it was a better race to watch.
    If an MO at Menangle run a mile in 1:52 and the FFA that night run 1:53.1 is the MO a better class race?
    The problem is Ash that the SA Cup was the same as last year - a two horse race with the same result, except reversed - and the same as last year the rest of the field could hardly be called G1 horses. The Fremantle Cup had 3 horses that would not be regarded as G1 horses. Should the SA Cup with a 125 thousand stake be a Group 1 race just because it is the states premier race? - debatable. Two tracks, same circumference but the speed of the horses show which was the more exciting race. To answer your question if an MO ran a 1: 52 mile and a FFA a 1: 53, I would regard the FFA a rather disappointing race. It appears it's all about speed these days looking at the number of mile races at Menangle and Albion Park, not only mile races but all distances.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Viv Strangman View Post
    What was surprising from this side of the Tasman is the lack of eastern states horses lining up when the stake is $250,000. With all due respect to I'm Victorious, he shouldn't frighten anyone who has watched him race out of W.A. He hasn't shown anything in a handful of starts in the east /Nz than would suggest he is a superstar. A bit different on his own patch for sure but with such a great stake the club must be disappointed with the lack of eastern states intrest.
    Hello Viv, without sounding like a needle stuck in the groove I've been saying this for a long time. Not only a 250,000 dollar race but closely followed by a $400,000 dollar race. It's a long way to travel west with the prospects of searing temperatures this time of the year and to be honest I would have second thoughts if I was a trainer on the east coast. Horses have to do it all the time when travelling from here. Bad barriers and average driving is primarily why you haven't seen the best of I'm Victorious.

Junior Member Foal ifyousayso will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    james dennis
    very very good win by Victorious.
    been keeping a very close eye on him since chariots last year after getting no luck and climbing all over them for clear running.
    unlucky in the chariots, bad draw in the MM this year, droppped in the Vic Cup.
    really think if he gets a nice draw, and a race with some distance (really seems to relish the longer distances) he will be a very hard horse to beat in the future.
    there is always alot of bagging the WA horses for not coming over here to race. But at every opp hes come and given it a go so soon his luck will change.
    and with 650k of races we should see some criticism of our horses not going to give it a crack if we want to bag WA horses for not coming here.
    and 1 thing not mentioned, connections having the courage to change drivers before these big races. seems to have paid dividends for them as no better big race driver than G Hall Jnr

Senior Member Colt Chariots will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ray Coote
    You are right Viv given that there is $650k.
    available for the two races a week apart but only one interstate trained horse has won either the Fremantle Cup or the Pacing Cup in the last 10 years so you can see the reluctance to take on a solid fast class group on their home track. Washaskie won the Pacing Cup but even he is WA owned and commenced his Australian career in WA and he will not be competitive here unless John McCarthy drives a lot better than his very poor effort in the Fremantle Cup (what was he thinking?).

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Chariots View Post
    I'm Victorious 1:56:5 over2536m Carribean Blaster 1:57.7 over 2230m. Not difficult to see the better class of race.
    Fair go Ray,
    it's not like nobody knows that Gloucester Park is a MUCH faster track than Globe Derby and to put some alternative perspective on things, the horse that ran second in the Freeo cup won a C2 race at GP only 5 months ago. The horse that ran second in Adelaide has won $4 million, excluding an Interdominion final that was taken of him in controversial circumstances.
    Don't get me wrong I'm not bagging ANYONES horse, I just like to see balance and facts in a debate.

Cheers,
    Dan

Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    I'm retracting an earlier statement with regards to the Fremantle Cup being all G1's except three; it can't be a group 1 horse unless it has won group1 races. So you have four in the Freo Cup and three in the SA Cup - the rest being FFA's But the quality of the FFA's was superior in the F.Cup.
    Last edited by Mighty Atom; 01-14-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: facts correction

Member Filly BenScadden will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ben Scadden
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Atom View Post
    The problem is Ash that the SA Cup was the same as last year - a two horse race with the same result, except reversed - and the same as last year the rest of the field could hardly be called G1 horses. The Fremantle Cup had 3 horses that would not be regarded as G1 horses. Should the SA Cup with a 125 thousand stake be a Group 1 race just because it is the states premier race? - debatable. Two tracks, same circumference but the speed of the horses show which was the more exciting race. To answer your question if an MO ran a 1: 52 mile and a FFA a 1: 53, I would regard the FFA a rather disappointing race. It appears it's all about speed these days looking at the number of mile races at Menangle and Albion Park, not only mile races but all distances.
    Can't agree with that sentiment about time being an accurate reflection of quality, Rod. If they times weren't displayed, I doubt many could detect a significant difference between a race run in 1:57 or 1:54 with the naked eye.
    I still reckon someone needs to head out with a tape measure and double-check the length of Gloucester Park. The times run there are sometimes almost unbelievable for the size of the track (and the horses aren't THAT good).
    Having said that, I agree the Fremantle Cup had some more depth ... quite a few SA Cup runners weren't genuine Group 1 class IMO.
    But obviously Smoken Up, Caribbean Blaster and, to a lesser degree, Abettorpunt have shown they can match it with the very best.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    The MOST exciting part of the Freo Cup for mine Rod, is watching QUEENSLAND trainer Michael Brennan doing his best "Dancing With The Stars" performance as his little champ races past him down the straight, definitely worth a second look! Good horse with plenty of potential, looking forward to seeing him back on this side of the continent in the future with a bit more luck going his way.

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-re...wa#GPM10011408

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    I actually saw that on Friday night Brad, The Kookaburra was a pretty happy man.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post
    The MOST exciting part of the Freo Cup for mine Rod, is watching QUEENSLAND trainer Michael Brennan doing his best "Dancing With The Stars" performance as his little champ races past him down the straight, definitely worth a second look! Good horse with plenty of potential, looking forward to seeing him back on this side of the continent in the future with a bit more luck going his way.

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-re...wa#GPM10011408
    Well spotted. That's what racing is all about.

+ Reply to Thread