Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Shepparton Gold Cup

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit

Shepparton Gold Cup

A great drive by Luke McCarthy to win on The Gold Ace last night. I really thought this horse might have lacked a bit of guts when it came down to a fight, but he put that to rest against one of the all time toughest horses we have ever seen in Smoken Up. Another great run by Old Trigger and he just never ceases to amaze, Luke attacked at the exact right time and at first it seemed like suicide to take Trigger on in this fashion as when it comes down to a dog fight, Trigger wins 9 out of 10 times. Pretty disappointed with Restrepo who appeared to have a good camp on them and appeared to be bolting.

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Amazing race to watch. Great win by TGA, but what can we say about Mighty Trigger? Just unbelievable!!! Trigger is nearly double TGA age.. Out of this world!! And he was from
    30m handicap.
    It will be a very sad day when he retires, but the memories will be cherished forever!
    Hope he has a 2 week freshen up

aussiebreno
    I wonder if its a deliberate tactic (or maybe even before McCarthy had him, I don't follow NZ closely) to run that third quarter quick. Done the same at Cranbourne. If deliberate tactic seems to work a treat.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    On top of that Brendan, LM may have noticed what brought Trigger undone at Horsham and so did the same. I thought TGA was going to hold that head adv all the way down the str but thought Trigger put nose back in fr at one stage - amazing animal but maybe to expected when he is built like Mr Universe (even if he is 11yo!)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    You beat me to the punch there Kev, Luke done a similar thing to Smoken Up last year with Excel Stride and as you mentioned, A few of the drivers seem to be adopting this tactic now against Trigger. I guess you could say it takes the stream out of the swoopers as well as they still finish off but can't make up the distance.

Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Very good observation Kevin. They know Trigger has lost a bit of his high cruising speed, apart from Menangle, and where he loses that most is around the bends. The younger horses have the young fresh legs to give them that advantage, which makes it more difficult for the Champ to come back and win. Restrepo had every chance. BOB capitulated after the best run, & I hope he comes better after a spell. ICT was not bad but never was going to win. Clearly the best runs were Trigger and Tga.

Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Very good track at Shepparton and it appeared that Trigger had no issues on the bends.

Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Top track @ Shepparton, just going on what Lance said a few months ago, regarding Trigger. Lance could have gone again a bit quicker in the last 400 metres, but I am sure he is looking after the Champ for the bigger races.
    The Gold Ace was deemed to start unsafely, so that means no Hunter Cup for him...
    His only chance is to bypass the Ballarat Cup, & try run in the Pure Steel and doesn't make even 1 little mistake!
    Last edited by Smoken; 01-19-2014 at 01:54 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    The Gold Ace has now definitely gone to a higher level under the McCarthys! Previous to this preparation there's no way he could have done what he did at Cranbourne and in Shepp Cup, he was a bit gutless in my opinion in last 2 years, however different over a mile if leading...
    He loves SS races and in the Hunter Cup will b very hard to beat.
    I'm Corzin Terror same, loves SS and depending on his draw in Hunter, will b dangerous.
    Hopefully Trigger is in same race and doesn't get a too harsh handicap.
    Restrepo got close from 1/1, HFNK, thought he might have won tho.
    Bitobliss crap.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoken View Post
    Top track @ Shepparton, just going on what Lance said a few months ago, regarding Trigger. Lance could have gone again a bit quicker in the last 400 metres, but I am sure he is looking after the Champ for the bigger races.
    The Gold Ace was deemed to start unsafely, so that means no Hunter Cup for him...
    His only chance is to bypass the Ballarat Cup, & try run in the Pure Steel and doesn't make even 1 little mistake!
    Yeah wow McC's will go straight to Pure Steel I reckon

+ Reply to Thread