Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Shepparton Gold Cup

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by Maorisidol View Post
    Yeah wow McC's will go straight to Pure Steel I reckon
    Stewards comment said CODS so assume he was already ODS before last night. Only stand last 12 months. So at moment not eligible Hunter Cup. Going away in Pure Steel gets him into Hunter Cup (last night race made him exempt any ballot). But he still be ODS for Hunter Cup? Going away once won't get him back in draw if has poor record from stand? Maybe Ballarat Cup better option?

Had horse once that was put ODS after 1 failed attempt. 2 trials and 1 race to get back in draw believe back then. He didn't gallop out. Just stood there. Well it was a 'standing' start race! Horse just misread form guide...thought was a 'standing still' race.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Hahahahaha, Good one Paul

Senior Member Colt The Escape Club will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Robert Salathiel
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoken View Post
    Top track @ Shepparton, just going on what Lance said a few months ago, regarding Trigger. Lance could have gone again a bit quicker in the last 400 metres, but I am sure he is looking after the Champ for the bigger races.
    The Gold Ace was deemed to start unsafely, so that means no Hunter Cup for him...
    His only chance is to bypass the Ballarat Cup, & try run in the Pure Steel and doesn't make even 1 little mistake!

The highlighted doesn't make sense to me. Firstly, how do you know he could've gone quicker? Secondly, if he won. he's guaranteed a Hunter Cup start. To me, looking after the horse is winning and getting the guarantee and as a consequence being able to tailor the lead up with no pressure to do anything in particular beforehand.

The fact that SU is 11 is neither here nor there. Like a footballer, if he's out on the park then he's good to go against all comers.

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    I meant that, Lance should have stoked him up earlier, & I am sure Trigger could have done that.. Same thing happened in the Horsham cup.
    As for your opinion regarding his age, I totally disagree. It's incoherent what you have just stated for common sense logical reasons. Only freaks of nature do what Trigger does, and even then it still has to take it's toll on the ageing body!
    It's like you saying, the best of the best young boxers, going against the best of the best grandpa boxers...
    Can you see my point of view?
    P.s I am confident Trigger is already a good thing to make it to the Hunter Cup...
    Maybe I am wrong, but I doubt it very much!

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Anyone notice Lance's whip style down the staight, using left hand.

Could this have been that TGA hung in badly around the 400 when Luke grabbed hold of him from his charge forward, stewards indicate he Hung In, it also appears lances gig hits a couple of pegs around that area with the gig bobbing.

Maybe Lance had SU on one rein to get back on line and with the pressure on he didn't have time to change whip hands

Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Agree with everything you just stated Bailey! When the race was in real time, I was thinking WTF is Lance doing, then after watching replay, I concur with everything you wrote.
    Good news is, Lance reported to Ballarat Courier, that Trigger pulled up Enormous, and is a 80-90% chance of running in the Ballarat cup TGA can run in the Ballarat cup, if he choses to bypass the Hunter Cup, which somehow logic tells me he will risk him in the pure steel. That's his only chance.

Real Name
    Robert Salathiel
    I meant that, Lance should have stoked him up earlier, & I am sure Trigger could have done that.. Same thing happened in the Horsham cup.
    As for your opinion regarding his age, I totally disagree. It's incoherent what you have just stated for common sense logical reasons. Only freaks of nature do what Trigger does, and even then it still has to take it's toll on the ageing body!
    It's like you saying, the best of the best young boxers, going against the best of the best grandpa boxers...
    Can you see my point of view?

P.s I am confident Trigger is already a good thing to make it to the Hunter Cup...
    Maybe I am wrong, but I doubt it very much!

No I don't see that particular point of view and it's a silly analogy. Mike Tyson was winning world heavyweight championships at 20/21 beating the best who were all older, George Foreman won a world heavyweight championship at around 50 beating all comers who were of course all younger.

If you're competing in an open class competition there are no age concessions.

You're probably right in that he's a good thing to be in the Hunter Cup, but you should never assume. If, as you say, he could have gone faster then why not and just remove any doubt? You don't have to rely on some arbitrary decision from someone else then.

Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Silly to you it might be, but not to myself
    And who was Foreman beating? They may have been younger, but were they high class fighters, with speed/strength/stamina? Try this analogy.. Tyson in his prime fighting an old Ali, & Ali whooping him or just losing on unanimous point decision.. I believe he could have gone quicker earlier, he simply didn't. Why? Neither you or I will truly ever know. We can merely share our opinions. Doesn't make you wrong or vice versa. A very good reason could be, Lance didn't want to bust him right out? He knew he had done enough to make it to the Hunter cup? Hunter Cup worth a lot more $ than the Shep cup? All very plausible reasoning...
    Btw, you are assuming that Trigger couldn't have gone quicker, so by that logic, it's illogical in itself. I guess your only proof is, that he didn't.. Unless I am 'Assuming' that you are "assuming"
    That's no objective truth.
    The odds so far for Trigger to make it in the Hunter Cup are very very good.
    Can't say the same thing for TGA unfortunately. It's ironic that he won and most highly probably gonzo for the Hunter, unless he runs in the Pure Steel, & "assuming" he steps as clean as a whistle.
    Last edited by Smoken; 01-20-2014 at 01:01 AM.

Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Btw, if HRV decide to ok TGA for whatever reason, they should scrap all there rules, as it would clearly be based on discretion.
    I wonder how Lance would react, if that was to become reality... I wouldn't blame the guy!

Real Name
    Robert Salathiel
    Btw, if HRV decide to ok TGA for whatever reason, they should scrap all there rules, as it would clearly be based on discretion.
    I wonder how Lance would react, if that was to become reality... I wouldn't blame the guy!

Which will they give more weight to in the decision do you think? The exemption from the ballot that The Gold Ace has earnt by winning the Shepp Cup or the requirement that the horse must have been qualified to race from the stand?

+ Reply to Thread