Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Ballarat Cup

Senior Member 4YO HaroldParker will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Bob Parker
    Quote Originally Posted by Maorisidol View Post
    Well we can see the horse had enough room to get up to Triggers back legs and of course assuming at that time that Glen Craven sees a very big gap, he only dived in when it looked like Trigger was either gonna keep going wider or at least stay about there, a split second decision says, "go!!! Heaven just opened!!!". Unfortunately Lance closed the door cos Keayangs gig probably didn't have room to get thru, however took out KC's legs, Lance will probably get a holiday.
    Massive fantastic run Christen Me, no doubt will be even better next week!
    Massive fantastic run Restrepo, trainer says he obviously is a great stayer, look out next week!
    Good normal high end effort Caribbean Blaster, did not much, sprinted 200m, needed to get out and get going 4m earlier! Just missed.
    Trigger brave. Top 3 too good for him.
    The Gold Ace disappointing, but don't write off Luke McCarthy yet!
    KC good run against this opposition
    The Christen Me I saw this time last year doesn't lose last night nor the Miracle Mile. He's still a great horse but a length or two off IMO.

Smoken Up is a Million To One in the Hunter Cup. Half that price when Lance is suspended : )

Senior Member 2YO Viv Strangman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Viv Strangman
    Having watched the race a few times i am still as puzzled as I was when I watched it the first time. Restrepo has been unable all season to match it with the big boys off soft runs. 15m from the winner in the Miracle Mile and not much better in the Victoria Cup, both with handy trips. Saturday night he sits 3 deep for over a lap and blouses them in track record time and not a word. The improvement is in "Ripleys" league yet not a word. In my forty plus years watching harness racing if a trainer can improve a horse a length or two he is a good trainer--- three or four lengths to the great trainers and more than 10 lengths (Saturday night) is just not possible even with a top trainer.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I am hearing you Viv and agree it was a big improvement but 10len? I only like to look at most recent form and like for like, he has had the 1x1 over distance in the Shep Cup last week and has come home in 55 and change similar to to first 2 and has been beaten 2hds by them. Last night again over distance he has amazingly sat 3w for the lap and come home in 56 and change and won by 2 hfhds.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    He did blouse For A Reason (admittedly track was off) in the lead up to the Miracle Mile.

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Quote Originally Posted by Viv Strangman View Post
    Having watched the race a few times i am still as puzzled as I was when I watched it the first time. Restrepo has been unable all season to match it with the big boys off soft runs. 15m from the winner in the Miracle Mile and not much better in the Victoria Cup, both with handy trips. Saturday night he sits 3 deep for over a lap and blouses them in track record time and not a word. The improvement is in "Ripleys" league yet not a word. In my forty plus years watching harness racing if a trainer can improve a horse a length or two he is a good trainer--- three or four lengths to the great trainers and more than 10 lengths (Saturday night) is just not possible even with a top trainer.
    Some interesting form reversals last night!

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    I also found it weird that Restrepo won, & the way he won being 3 wide. It could just be he was feeling super that night.
    He could come out and lose by 20 metres in the Hunter Cup. So many things play a role in the top horses winning, wether it's how they feel within themselves, or luck in running etc etc.
    Most people were saying TGA was pretty much unbeatable, and will not be crossed.. He ran a shocker! 1 Mill to 1 for Trigger sounds amazing! I think I might put $1 on the Champion

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Gavin Lang said in pre race interview he was still making ground in Shep Cup and horse hadn't had run for 3 weeks before it and needed it. He did sound very confident and drove horse to match.

Senior Member 2YO Viv Strangman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Viv Strangman
    Watch his Mirace mile or Victoria Cup run and place it alongside his run on Saturday night and the difference is at least ten lengths. He does nothing all season to suggest he could sit three wide for a lap in a track record time and stroll on by a group one field. Horses do have a performance band from their best to their worst runs but the run of Restrepo on Saturday night was from another planet compared to his earlier runs. I don't punt on Australian racing and after watching that massive turn around I wonder why any Australians would as well.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Part agreeing with you Viv but as both those races were over shorter distances and run a lot quicker than last night, I think you are being a bit mischievous regarding the 10len - let's call it 5
    As a schoolboy athlete I used to know that one lane out over 400m was an extra 4m covered. Does anyone know what extra distance a horse covers one cart out at a track like Melton or Ballarat?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Kev, This is just ball park as I have asked this question as well, approx 12 metres but I'm sure that someone will correct me.

+ Reply to Thread