Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ballarat Cup

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Gday. Same discussion here while back. See if can find. Believe the extra distance covered per lap the same at any track. Something to do with radius of a circle. Can cover more ground at different tracks but only because might go round more bends. So 2000m race round 3 bends cover more ground than 2000m round 2 bends.

Also if 7m extra 1 off fence them 14m extra 3 off fence 21m 4 off....
    See if can find.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Thanks men, I reckon you would be pretty close Rich as a cart with a little space to spare would have to be the equivalent of about 3 athletics lanes. Cheers
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    Cant find yet but know its here somwhere. Was something like... if take any harness racing track (even Redcliffe) and take off all the straight bits, what you are left with is a circle. Different size circles but all circles. Horse one off fence covers same amount extra ground regardless of size of circle.

Outside at moment. My son got a spreadsheet with that in plus sectional times. Uses to work out horses that went better than finish position looks. Still needs work. Found one winner last 6 months. 3s on chance. Suppose handy though as I treat all his specials as scratchings.

Will have look spreadsheet later and let you know. In racebook in SA it tells you how much extra inside front page. Cant recall number though.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Sounds interesting Paul, Young Luke will work it out.

aussiebreno
    Tip for Luke (not the one and only tip, just one point to consider, Im sure others have different methods). Say horse on outside covers 28 extra metres. Get beats 15m. That doesn't automatically make it 13m better. For much of the race (the way they usually run) horses are travelling within them self, which mean horse isn't expanding all its energy. If you running 32 quarters in the first half you can keep up quite easily without expanding much more material energy. If a faster paced race with first half in say 30 quarters it much harder for outside horses to keep that pace. Same phenomenon in our bodies. If we run within ourselves (32 quarters) we can still have a final sprint so sitting outside wasn't as much a disadvantage. If we running near on full pace (30 quarters) we don't have much of a kick left so sitting outside was a bigger disadvantage.
    So inside horse running at 65% may mean outside horse needs to run at 70% to keep pace in a 32 quarter. In a 30 quarter inside horse running at 80% pace means outside horse needs to run 85% pace. The way the aerobic and anaerobic systems work, you can keep a steady pace for a long time, but as soon as you start pushing you fade dramatically quicker. This means outside horses working harder especially when the pace is on have a significant disadvantage. Off a slow pace even though they covered 28m more extra they still entitled to fight on. Off a fast pace if they covering 28m more then its much harder to do and entitled to stop. If Luke can come up with an algorithm to incorporate pace into distance beaten he might land two winners instead of one!!!

Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    If Luke works it out will let you know... one day...email from Bahamas! These variables are what makes it 'fun'?

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    If Luke works it out will let you know... one day...email from Bahamas! These variables are what makes it 'fun'?
    Interesting concept of fun at times isn't it!

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Tip for Luke (not the one and only tip, just one point to consider, Im sure others have different methods). Say horse on outside covers 28 extra metres. Get beats 15m. That doesn't automatically make it 13m better. For much of the race (the way they usually run) horses are travelling within them self, which mean horse isn't expanding all its energy. If you running 32 quarters in the first half you can keep up quite easily without expanding much more material energy. If a faster paced race with first half in say 30 quarters it much harder for outside horses to keep that pace. Same phenomenon in our bodies. If we run within ourselves (32 quarters) we can still have a final sprint so sitting outside wasn't as much a disadvantage. If we running near on full pace (30 quarters) we don't have much of a kick left so sitting outside was a bigger disadvantage.
    So inside horse running at 65% may mean outside horse needs to run at 70% to keep pace in a 32 quarter. In a 30 quarter inside horse running at 80% pace means outside horse needs to run 85% pace. The way the aerobic and anaerobic systems work, you can keep a steady pace for a long time, but as soon as you start pushing you fade dramatically quicker. This means outside horses working harder especially when the pace is on have a significant disadvantage. Off a slow pace even though they covered 28m more extra they still entitled to fight on. Off a fast pace if they covering 28m more then its much harder to do and entitled to stop. If Luke can come up with an algorithm to incorporate pace into distance beaten he might land two winners instead of one!!!
    It's probably easier to wait for the course announcer, save headache tablets with maths......Waiting to hear ABA code...After Burner Added

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoken View Post
    I also found it weird that Restrepo won, & the way he won being 3 wide. It could just be he was feeling super that night.
    He could come out and lose by 20 metres in the Hunter Cup. So many things play a role in the top horses winning, wether it's how they feel within themselves, or luck in running etc etc.
    Most people were saying TGA was pretty much unbeatable, and will not be crossed.. He ran a shocker! 1 Mill to 1 for Trigger sounds amazing! I think I might put $1 on the Champion
    I didn't think Restrepo would be winning at the bell like most, but after having a closer look at the times I can see how he did. Lang made his ground up in a 31.3 second quarter and although 3 deep, the last half wasn't out of this world fast.....56.3. Christen Me fell in a huge hole the final 30m (totally agree with Bob CM IMO is nowhere near his chariots form) and CB wins in another 10m (or if he doesn't drop off a fraction at the 300). So IMO things fell right into place for Restrepo on the night. That aside, it is a little alarming the difference between his good and bad runs (Tonkin did address this in a post race interview on Sat night)......a little like Bitobliss.
    I for one am not gonna label TGA's run a shocker. Pushed off the arm, jostled with SU there after and beaten 7.3m in a track record. No surprises to me if he runs a bottler next week.
    You may be getting 'overs' with the million/1 but I'm positive you'll be a buck poorer.

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    So was TGA run better than Trigger, & who would be a better chance between those 2?

+ Reply to Thread