Thread: cobalt

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Found this article/add whilst surfing around on the net, seems to agree with many things that I have heard and read about cobalt chloride, therefore there must be numerous inaccuracies I guess, however consistent the information.??

http://www.vpxsports.com/article-det...increasing-epo

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    And this from the USA

Racing Medication and Testing Consortium, said that Cobalt

is definitely a drug that can be used as a

performance-enhancer.

"People believe is that it causes the bone marrow to

stimulate more blood cells. It's not unlike EPO," she said.

Gural said he first became aware of Cobalt when hearing

rumors that a trainer with a long list of violations on his

record was offering to sell it to people. No racing state was

testing for the drug, so Gural took samples collected by his

investigator Brice Cote and sent them to a lab in Hong Kong,

where the excessive Cobalt levels showed up. Yet, he

doesn't believe he has solved the problem.

"The real problem is that this is a drug that disappears

from the system very quickly," he said. "That makes it hard

for us to pick it up. My guess is that with the two really bad

cases where the trainers were banned their horse probably

got this stuff a half an hour before we tested the horses. We

were probably lucky to catch them."

Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Horses
    No Stars
    This article states Victorian Stewards are also testing extensively for Cobalt Chloride, must be more numerous inaccuracies.

http://www.bunburymail.com.au/story/...ide-use/?cs=12

If this article is correct then perhaps HRNSW are not the only body currently testing for this substance.

I suppose the Meadowlands putting out statements that they have found excessive levels of the substance are another instance of numerous inaccuracies.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Exactly... this thread started with claims of 6 positive in NSW harness racing. Although no evidence was provided to back up the claims, in the days subsequent several further articles have quoted as evidence. That claim and all the others are based on articles from the mainstream print media.
    They are claiming from such sources as Racing NSW, Racing Victoria, Meadowlands racing among others.
    None are directly from Racing governing bodies. Any official statements are refuting all of these claims made in these "articles".
    ..... Bag racing again....Anything to sell a story to sell a newspaper!!

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    There shouldn't be any problem with this thread staying open because its talk about cobalt and not about any person or persons.

The claims made and being made about cobalt are not based on any factual data. Rather based on unsubstantiated hearsay and rumour mongering. The scientific research has hardly commenced let alone been comprehensively proven one way nor the other Hence the stance being taken by those in authority. As you for one who well knows similar such claims made about a previous similar issue discussed here in a similar manner proved "egg on the face " for some. The difference with this thread is the rebuttal by official bodies e.g.HRNSW...of the misinformation. Be assured this thread wont end as those previous have done.
    Discussing people or persons is not the only cause to end a discussion here. An issue being discussed needs to have some factual base to it. So far there appears none with this issue.
    Last edited by teecee; 02-07-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Horses
    No Stars
    We won't have long to wait to see who has egg on their face over this one, there is too much similar data available from too many different sources for me to pretend to myself there isn't an issue and it's just a press "beat up". And unfortunately I am the sort of person to say "I told you so"

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    We won't have long to wait to see who has egg on their face over this one, there is too much similar data available from too many different sources for me to pretend to myself there isn't an issue and it's just a press "beat up". And unfortunately I am the sort of person to say "I told you so"
    No Danno nothing too it. HRNSW only had a completely random idea to set a cobalt chloride threshold for shits and giggles, no substance or as Teecee says FACTS behind it. No other reason, its not like they know trainer/s are using it. Close the thread and stop bloody testing for it.

Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    No Danno nothing too it. HRNSW only had a completely random idea to set a cobalt chloride threshold for shits and giggles, no substance or as Teecee says FACTS behind it. No other reason, its not like they know trainer/s are using it. Close the thread and stop bloody testing for it.

Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

You still haven't produce any data to suggest there is anything untoward going on here. Each of the articles put up by you to justify your view has no scientific basis. They are not in part or all research into Cobalt Chloride and its effects on the HORSE. They are not written by anyone partaking in a scientific study of such, (nor for that matter human effects).
    So far the only evidence you have presented here of the issue is from your own expression..."a press beatup".
    Last edited by teecee; 02-07-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Member Filly Boydy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Boyd
    Tony, not sure if you listened to the interview on this thread, but I was pretty convinced the vet knew both what he was talking about and he was doing so on the basis of credible research and information.

The niavity of your comment about if you have a threshold all is OK. Why have the authorities in the last few month made this threshold. I will give you the tip its not because someone came to authorities and said look guys I have this product and I think it makes horse go faster. It was because they were getting irregularities. Thats why they brought in the threshold.

Bicarb has a threshold, does that mean itsok and not being used??

+ Reply to Thread