Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 94 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast

Thread: cobalt

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Maybe this just balances out the years when NSW players could pay a steward not to be tested

Well what can I say!!!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Viv.
    On reflection I realise that I didn't answer your post fully. Your right, a lot of horses have come over from NZ to compete in Australia at the highest level. Without being negative I pose this question to you & I am truly interested. If we managed to breed a very good horse & want to race him at the top level in NZ, we would want to send him to a trainer whose reputation is unblemished & has competed consistently & regularly at the top level in Australia as well as NZ. This trainer would also have to have ZERO positive swabs. Can you give me the names of trainers who come here on a regular basis from NZ, compete at the highest level & fill all the criteria above because there is where our horse would go . Thanks
    Last edited by trish; 05-01-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Maybe this just balances out the years when NSW players could pay a steward not to be tested
    Gold Kev!!!!

aussiebreno
    Hahahaha!!!

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    Must admit i am astounded by Dean McDowell as i have spoke to his Dad Colin on numerous occassions and he is vehmently anti drugs.Col is going to represent Australia as the amatuer rep in an overseas comp.
    I agree. I don't know them personally and I'm no fan of Colin as a driver but I highly doubt the McDowells would engage in this type of behaviour. They run an extremely successful business and harness is more of a hobby for them. It doesn't really make sense.

Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    They are Leigh , but some of these drugs I believe , aren't being tested for in other states . NSW is light years ahead and I hope they keep it up . From what I have read and understand , some drugs have an affect that carries on for some time after the chance of getting a positive has gone . So a hit and run is possible
    I hope all states continue to take a thorough approach to catching drug cheats. I also hope all states put more effort into improving all areas of integrity in our sport. Drug cheats are only part of the problem, there are many other aspects that aren't being appropriately addressed that have just as big an impact on participation and generating wagering increases.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Yes, The cheats need to be driven out of the game and as you mentioned Mitch, The controlling bodies all need to take a firm stance as one and address the problem. As this topic has raged on we have seen a lot of different opinions and for those that have stuck their heads in a hole, It's real and not in your imagination and i'm fairly sure we haven't seen the end if it yet. Congrats to HRNSW for their good work with this problem and I hope that all of the other states get on board ASAP.

Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    Yes, The cheats need to be driven out of the game and as you mentioned Mitch, The controlling bodies all need to take a firm stance as one and address the problem. As this topic has raged on we have seen a lot of different opinions and for those that have stuck their heads in a hole, It's real and not in your imagination and i'm fairly sure we haven't seen the end if it yet. Congrats to HRNSW for their good work with this problem and I hope that all of the other states get on board ASAP.
    Rich, the point I was trying to make is that I think more needs to be done in areas of integrity outside of drug testing. Things like the application of the change of tactics rule, restricted access to race day stables at every meeting, better training of inexperienced stewards to read race patterns and identify questionable tactics etc etc.

I believe the average punter couldn't give a rats if a trainer is drugging their horse, they care more about race tactics and patterns being properly enforced by stewards because that what's they know and thats what's visible in the form guide. Unless they have inside info they wouldn't have a clue if a horse has been drugged, so from a pure punting perspective it's insignificant in many ways. It's the other industry participants (mainly trainers and owners) that care more about the drug cheats.

The reason I say this is the tricky balance all racing bodies have to manage is how to drive wagering revenue and increase participation at the same time. As stupid as it sounds this is somewhat at odds with each other when you look at the challenges faced.

If people think rubbing out all the drug cheats is good for wagering revenue then I think they are wrong. In fact it may end up having an adverse effect. Think about it.....

Integrity is a very broad topic. So whilst I encourage drug testing regimes to continue I also urge all racing bodies to invest harder and faster in other areas of integrity that will drive wagering revenue because that is the single most important thing our sports needs.

I hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by Mitch; 05-02-2014 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Grammar

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    First of all Rich - you need to empty your inbox

Mitch, whether rubbing out all the drug cheats is good for the sport as in good for wagering is an interesting one. One thing I would suggest is that the big pro punter is always going to punt and the small punter that has a tipple is probably never going to read about it, so the only one's possibly effected/put off would seem to be the enthusiasts - so I think not. Was there a drop in punting as a result of the NSW stewards scandal?
    Last edited by Messenger; 05-02-2014 at 01:40 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist

Run with the Fox, hunt with the Hounds ?

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Yes Colin & Cheryl loath drug cheats & I feel really sorry that they have to go through this. Colin has put a fortune into the game because he loves it.
    I see he has a couple nomed for Menangle Tuesday so I wish him all the best.
    VVV- I don't think for a minute that anyone has done anything wrong but at the same time I can't help thinking that if it were certain other stables involved here Trish....ones you're no great fan of...that you'd instead be all over them like a Seagull on a hot chip. Call me a cynic.

+ Reply to Thread