Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kiesey 4days racing in a row @ age of 13

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    RACE 7 - E B COCHRAN TROTTERS CUP (GROUP 2) (2240 MS)
    Both Master Kiesey and Apple Beach, which had competed the previous night at Ballarat, were examined by the on-course veterinarian and cleared to start.

Master Kiesey pulled hard during the running when occupying a position on the peg line. Master Kiesey then gave ground inside the final 400m to be beaten 51m. Master Kiesey was continued on its last chance to race truly. In arriving at this course of action stewards considered that Master Kiesey was racing significantly out of its class, the time recorded for the last half mile (57.3 seconds) and that other than for the gelding giving ground over the final stages Master Kiesey was not entirely uncompetitive and therefore in the opinion of the stewards did not warrant being stood down given this performance.
    Apple Beach tired inside the final 400m to be beaten approximately 70m. Apple Beach was continued on its last chance to race truly. In arriving at this course of action stewards considered that Apple Beach was racing significantly out of its class, the time recorded for the last half mile (57.3 seconds) and that other than for the mare giving ground over the final stages Apple Beach was not entirely uncompetitive and therefore in the opinion of the stewards did not warrant being stood down given this performance.
    Brian Kiesey, trainer of both Master Kiesey and Apple Beach was advised in future to restrict such nominations and acceptances for horses to races more of their own class. A post-race veterinary examination of both Master Kiesey and Apple Beach revealed no abnormalities nor any obvious affects from recent racing.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    RACE 7 - E B COCHRAN TROTTERS CUP (GROUP 2) (2240 MS)
    Both Master Kiesey and Apple Beach, which had competed the previous night at Ballarat, were examined by the on-course veterinarian and cleared to start.

Master Kiesey pulled hard during the running when occupying a position on the peg line. Master Kiesey then gave ground inside the final 400m to be beaten 51m. Master Kiesey was continued on its last chance to race truly. In arriving at this course of action stewards considered that Master Kiesey was racing significantly out of its class, the time recorded for the last half mile (57.3 seconds) and that other than for the gelding giving ground over the final stages Master Kiesey was not entirely uncompetitive and therefore in the opinion of the stewards did not warrant being stood down given this performance.
    Apple Beach tired inside the final 400m to be beaten approximately 70m. Apple Beach was continued on its last chance to race truly. In arriving at this course of action stewards considered that Apple Beach was racing significantly out of its class, the time recorded for the last half mile (57.3 seconds) and that other than for the mare giving ground over the final stages Apple Beach was not entirely uncompetitive and therefore in the opinion of the stewards did not warrant being stood down given this performance.
    Brian Kiesey, trainer of both Master Kiesey and Apple Beach was advised in future to restrict such nominations and acceptances for horses to races more of their own class. A post-race veterinary examination of both Master Kiesey and Apple Beach revealed no abnormalities nor any obvious affects from recent racing.
    Good thing I think that Trainer was advised not to nominate so far out of class, good thing they did that I reckon,
    However,
    Why in hell were they accepted and chosen to be put in the race by those who selected the horses in the race?????????????
    A T1 against the likes of My High Expectations etc, that's crazy shouldn't have been chosen to be in the race!

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Just been reminded by someone that in some places in world..little brown jug, Hambletonian, etc, 3yos have to go 2, sometimes 3, 1.55 or less mile races in space of couple hours.
    We used to race them twice a day four days in a row on the east coast show circuit years ago, just to educate them!

I raced a horse ( Caridance) twice in the one night at Taree in the mid eighties...he had his legs taken turning for home in the first one and backed up an hour and a half later and won.

a thrteen year old going around 4 days in a row is not a good look, but I believe in letting the horse show you....if you keep backing him up when he's telling you not to, then your a goose, I remember in those days a bloke around here had an 11 year old pacer on a hard mark, he raced him four days in a row, the horse got better with every run and won on the fourth night.

Let the horse show you and change tack if he/she tells you your on the wrong track, there is no set criteria that suits all horses.

Cheers,

Dan

Senior Member Colt djgood will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Goodhand
    Occupation
    trainer
    Horses
    Couple of squaregaiters
    Dad used to do the same in the late 60`s early 70`s used to follow show circuit horses would race 2 sometimes 3 times in a day then again next day afterwards off to the next show used to go all the way to rockhampton and sell the locals fit read to go horses
    when i got my drivers licence he wished the circuit was still going he said thats where you learn to be a good and tough driver

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    We used to race them twice a day four days in a row on the east coast show circuit years ago, just to educate them!

I raced a horse ( Caridance) twice in the one night at Taree in the mid eighties...he had his legs taken turning for home in the first one and backed up an hour and a half later and won.

a thrteen year old going around 4 days in a row is not a good look, but I believe in letting the horse show you....if you keep backing him up when he's telling you not to, then your a goose, I remember in those days a bloke around here had an 11 year old pacer on a hard mark, he raced him four days in a row, the horse got better with every run and won on the fourth night.

Let the horse show you and change tack if he/she tells you your on the wrong track, there is no set criteria that suits all horses.

Cheers,

Dan

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    During November 1969, Lucky Creed won eight races for the month including three races in five days. In December he won another six races in the space of 15 days.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Hi Trevor, I remember something similar with Paleface, Just To Good and Hondo Grattan etc during the 70's. They would race on the Friday night at HP then have a runaround at a country NSW track midweek and then backup the following Friday night at HP regularly.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    A 2nd and 3rd in the trot today. Master Keisey 3rd. Other one galloped twice and other one scratched. Maybe hiding up tree when went catch it?

Also had 1 in pace race. Nicmac Bromac. Ran 2nd at good odds. Had 8 runs in December 2013. 4 in January 2014 but only 1 in February before today. Everywhere from Warragul to Albury and Mt Gambier. Ran 2nd today in 2nd run for this month. Obviously in need of run

Can't knock his keeness to travel. 3 cheques from 4 runners not bad days work.
    I missed something! Also trained winner of Nicmac Bromac race!! 8 starts December 2013, 7 in January 2014. 4 cheques from 5 runners! 1 x 1st 2 x 2nd and 1 x 3rd.

Member Gelding broco will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    monique parsons
    Occupation
    trainer/driver
    Horses
    cullens moose, somart, ladybird
    we've got one we give quick back up runs and the best he goes is when hes on those quick back ups, came unstuck last time we tried it as he hated orange track hung terribly the whole way and lost a lot of confidence into his next run, he doesn't do it all the time but if there are a few suitable races coming up (weak ones being the preferred lol) he does and then has a freshen up and goes round again, in saying that he doesn't see anything faster than a jog between racedays or a buck and a play in the sand roll even his freshen ups are just jogging off a lead horse and hes the one bucking his brand off come raceday, don't have any others we can do it with and wouldn't even try it with a lot but it suits him, the old saying each horse is different and should always be treated as an individual not just a number comes to mind there, certainly no champion but he feeds himself and that's all we ask round here.
    Highly doubt he'll be seeing a racetrack when he's 13 though and certainly not expect him to be going round more than once a week.
    Only going back 4 or 5 years the gallopers were still allowed to race twice on the one day and they are a whole lot weaker than our standardbreds.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Quote Originally Posted by djgood View Post
    Dad used to do the same in the late 60`s early 70`s used to follow show circuit horses would race 2 sometimes 3 times in a day then again next day afterwards off to the next show used to go all the way to rockhampton and sell the locals fit read to go horses
    when i got my drivers licence he wished the circuit was still going he said thats where you learn to be a good and tough driver

David, up further north back in the 70s they used to have 4 or 5 races every Saturday arvo at Charters Towers, most horses raced at least twice. You can imagine how hot it was. That night, you would even find some of those poor horses getting carted back to the Townsville Showgrounds for another start that night. Most of these horses had extremely limited ability, as the old saying went, the further north the horse went the weaker the quality of horse was required. It was usually a Brisbane pacer that would take out the Townsville Cup each year. Back then as a very young bloke I thought it was wrong, the older I have got the more disgusted I am over what I used to see. Racing in Far North Qld is long dead now, but that one dark chapter is one that needed to be closed.

The thread began about Mr Keisey, such a gallant old warhorse, but what the hell does he have to do to find a paddock...turn 26??? History is littered with grand old horses at incredible ages still performing and winning admirably, some becoming immortal for their exploits. These days not so often. He may well be 13 and fulfilling all the ticks from vets and stewards, but when does someone say he is thirteen years old with a wonderful record...lets give him the kudos he deserves and retire him, instead of "how much more blood can we get from a stone". Disgusted!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I find it incredible that so many assume retirement means a paddock - we would all like to think so BUT let's get real
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread