Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help wanted by mates who want to buy a horse

Junior Member Foal Bob Smith will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Robert Smith

Help wanted by mates who want to buy a horse

G'day fella's and lasses anyone can give us a run down on owning a horse plus costs associated with it(Vet bills,training,feed,shoeing,travelling etc) My friends and i love to punt on the trots and between 20 of us we have $20,000 to spend up front. Is it better to buy a yearling a horse racing or have a bit of fun with an old claimer. Anyone with monthly costs approximates i'd love the info it doesnt matter what state it runs in but prefer nsw or vic so we can make the track for the race. Thanks in advance

Robert Smith

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    My thoughts would be to sound out a couple of trainers who you respect - I don't know that I would be going for the top of the tree but someone who has had recent success. Putting all your money into one horse is obviously the riskiest form of harness racing. Here is a list of all the trainers that have won at least 10 races in Vic this season (where there is more than one number after their name, that is there metro/country winning split). You have to decide whether you want a trotter or a pacer for, as you would know, some specialize in one over the other.

STEWART, EMMA J SMYTHES CREEK, SW OF BALLARAT 11 + 55, 66
    CRAMP, SHAYNE J MILDURA 2 + 64, 66
    BRAUN, DEAN F LARA, N OF GEELONG 13 + 46.5, 59.5
    AIKEN, DAVID AVENEL, NE OF SEYMOUR 15 + 38, 53
    DOUGLAS, GLENN F STRATHFIELDSAYE, BENDIGO 5 + 41, 46
    MANNING, PETER G GREAT WESTERN 1 + 43.5, 44.5
    KELLY, ADAM F COIMADAI, N OF BACCHUS MARSH 2 + 29, 31
    JUSTICE, LANCE J MELTON 6 + 24, 30
    WEBSTER, GEOFF F BANNOCKBURN, W OF GEELONG 7 + 22, 29
    SUGARS, ROSS R HOPETOUN PARK, E OF BACCHUS MARSH 2 + 25, 27
    GATH, ANDY P LONG FOREST, NW OF MELTON 8 + 14, 22
    LANG, CHRIS W NAGAMBIE, N OF SEYMOUR ,6 + 12, 18
    MANNING, KERRYN E GREAT WESTERN 1 + 17, 18
    VAN RYN, DAVID B MAIDEN GULLY, W OF BENDIGO 17
    DAVIES, JAYNE E CLYDE, E OF FRANKSTON 16
    ALFORD, CHRIS A BOLINDA, N OF SUNBURY 1 + 14, 15
    BOLITHO, TIM J ANAKIE 1 + 14, 15
    THOMPSON, MARK A ROCHESTER, S OF ECHUCA 14.5
    GRAHAM, ROSS A SUTTON GRANGE, S OF BENDIGO 14
    HERBERTSON, ASHLEIGH A BURRUMBEET 1 + 13, 14
    NEWBERRY, JOHN G BUNBARTHA, N OF SHEPPARTON 14
    STANLEY, MICHAEL I REDAN, BALLARAT 3 + 11, 14
    HUGHES, MICHAEL A LONGWARRY, W OF WARRAGUL 13
    JACK, RUSSELL W LEMNOS, SHEPPARTON 13
    POTTER, WAYNE R AVENEL, NE OF SEYMOUR 13
    DEVCIC, BORIS I IRYMPLE, MILDURA 2 + 11, 13
    EASTMAN, LARRY J SHELBOURNE, W OF BENDIGO 12
    HUNTER, SUSAN M MELTON 3 + 9, 12
    MANNING, MICHELLE L GREAT WESTERN 2 + 10, 12
    MILES, DAVID M MONEGEETA, N OF SUNBURY 1 + 11, 12
    MORGAN, BRUCE L JUNORTOUN, BENDIGO 12
    CALDOW, MAREE A MELTON 2 + 9, 11
    JUSTICE, JOHN D TOOLERN VALE, N OF MELTON 11
    LEE, MARGARET A TERANG 4 + 7, 11
    LEWIS, DAVID M HAMILTON 4 + 7, 11
    LILLEY, BRENT A BOLINDA, N OF SUNBURY 1 + 10, 11
    QUINLAN, JODI N PARWAN, SE OF BACCHUS MARSH 1 + 10, 11
    DEMMLER, CRAIG T PARWAN, SE OF BACCHUS MARSH 10
    MURPHY, DAVID A DUNNSTOWN, BALLARAT 10
    TONKIN, PETER W SMYTHES CREEK, SW OF BALLARAT 10
    Last edited by Messenger; 02-27-2014 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Updated to include tonight
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Secretary of State $3000 claimer Melton night. C1, would probably win two or three back home at Wagga or in other states I reckon.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    That C1 next to its name, how does that work - do you drop back a grade for every season without a win?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    That C1 next to its name, how does that work - do you drop back a grade for every season without a win?
    Every 10 starts without a win I believe. Can't drop back to a C0 though IIRC.

Senior Member Colt G-Mac will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Glen McWilliams
    Horses
    Jewel Castle Diamond Castle

Junior Member Foal Bob Smith will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Robert Smith
    Thanks messenger for the stats there are a few trainers i dont mind betting on in that list. Will do the homework as my mates/family (yes conned the olds into buying into 1) are visiting me this weekend so we can discuss our options(Though i bet the old man will want it to race in WA so he can watch it race against eastern states and kiwi imports) Also can i go on my own and buy a mare approx $2000 to breed from as breeding is something i would enjoy though i'd have a lot to learn. 1 more thing is Armbro Operative still available at stud as i think he has been 1 of Australasias best sire in the last 2 decades and love a mare to get served by him. Is it better to buy a proven broodmare or a mare just retired from racing or 1 that i can retire myself.
    Thanks for any info
    Kind Regards
    Bob Smith (never call me robert,rob,robbie or bobbie)

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Hi Bob, training fees range from around $20 to $100 per day depending on the trainer. Some charge a flat fee, others ad shoeing and travelling. So there is no simple answer to what it costs to race a horse. If you want to get involved quickly then a going horse or a claimer would suit . If you have more time a yearling would suit.
    Probably best to pick a few trainers that you like and trust and have a chat with them, they may be able to find you a horse.
    Best of luck. Don't go in expecting to make money. Best to just do it for the fun, if you make money thats a bonus, many people have several hores before they get their first winner so be patient.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Armbro Operative died recently .
    Don't die wondering !

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Mac View Post
    Thanks Breno and Glen. There are a lot of definitions there!
    Am I right in thinking Secretary of State could have been a C5 at some point, having now gone without a win for 41 starts and now being a C1
    Looking at his wins from long ago it is hard to determine what class he got to as he won a few multi class races.
    Going back a long time, I have some recollection that winning an M0 gave you a certain automatic C? rating and that you would not enter a low C rated horse in a M0 as you would jump a few C grades - I could have that wrong. I see that winning an M0 now just increases your C&R rating by 1 along with giving you an M1 rating
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread