Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    Hi Bob, training fees range from around $20 to $100 per day depending on the trainer. Some charge a flat fee, others ad shoeing and travelling. So there is no simple answer to what it costs to race a horse. If you want to get involved quickly then a going horse or a claimer would suit . If you have more time a yearling would suit.
    Probably best to pick a few trainers that you like and trust and have a chat with them, they may be able to find you a horse.
    Best of luck. Don't go in expecting to make money. Best to just do it for the fun, if you make money thats a bonus, many people have several hores before they get their first winner so be patient.

Great advice the bit in bold.

Member Filly BenScadden will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ben Scadden
    Yes, that last bit is excellent advice. I've raced plenty of them - and a few with good success - but you NEVER, EVER go into it expecting to make money. Just enjoy the ride. There's no greater thrill than standing in the winner's circle.
    I've bought yearlings, bred them, bought a claimer and bought from NZ (both proven and yearling).
    Bob - at the moment, if I wanted a solid racehorse, I'd probably get a going horse from NZ. It's incredibly competitive at the top level of there (dominated by a few outstanding trainers), so there are often handy horses (just below the very top echelon) that can be bought for a reasonable price. Just make sure you get some solid advice from someone you trust.

+ Reply to Thread