Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 100 and ONE years of trotting at Horsham tomorrow

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

100 and ONE years of trotting at Horsham tomorrow

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=22961

The Horsham & District Harness Racing Club will celebrate 100 years of Trotting in Horsham at their anniversary racemeeting on Labour Day Monday, March 10th.

This outstanding community event recognizes the formation of the Horsham Trotting Club in March 1913 and the subsequent staging of their inaugural race meeting on May 7th 1913.

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=22961

I am looking forward to attending a good meeting tomorrow but a couple of things have me beat:

1) 100 years would have been last year
    2) Wouldn't an earlier day meeting (or better still Sunday) have been more likely to pull a crowd, rather than a twilight meeting in the dying hours of the long weekend

ps If this finds the attention of anyone connected with Horsham Historical Society - isn't it time that Thomas Halfpenny received some acknowledgement by way of a street name, plaque, anything, for "the man who deserves more honour as a founder of Horsham" (town) to quote 'A Story of Horsham'
    Pardon the personal gripe folks but it is a massive oversight of a great, great, ..... grandfather of mine.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post

1) 100 years would have been last year
    Y2K bug?

Junior Member Weanling Frosty will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Terry Lewis
    Occupation
    Manager Department of
    Horses
    Frosty Lady, Abettorpunt, Master of Disg
    Thanks Kevin for promoting the meeting at Horsham tomorrow. Some of the best drivers in Australia and New Zealand have been assembled for the Noel Smith Invitation Drivers Championship including Dexter Dunn (NZ), Colin Brown (WA), Grant Dixon (Qld), Ryan Hryhorec (SA), Gareth Rattray (Tas), Amanda Turnbull (NSW) plus four of Victoria's best drivers. The championship honors the late Noel Smith a long time administrator and life member of the Horsham and District Harness Racing Club.
    The Horsham club is happy to be racing on Monday (as unlike a mid day meeting as it has been in the past) it will allow many more people to see these champion drivers in action.
    It really is a day meeting albeit a slightly later start (Sky channel determine when you start and finish !)
    The Club has gone to a lot of trouble for tomorrow's meeting with many racetrack attractions plus the book "A hundred years of trotting in Horsham" will be launched.

As a life member of the Horsham club I look forward to seeing you there tomorrow. It will be a great day and celebration.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Good luck with it! Where can we buy the book via internet?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It certainly is a good card Terry - I go to most meetings in the region but rarely from first to last race which is what I will be doing tomorrow (let's hope the weather behaves). I will review the book for you tomorrow Paul
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Hi Kev and Terry, Hope it's a good days racing, I'm also interested in purchasing the book.

Junior Member Weanling Frosty will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Terry Lewis
    Occupation
    Manager Department of
    Horses
    Frosty Lady, Abettorpunt, Master of Disg
    The full colour versions of A hundred years of trotting at Horsham are available for $15 plus postage from:
    Jo Cross (Horsham Executive Officer)
    email: Horsham@hrv.org.au

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    A good show put on by the club and very admirable giving all attendees a copy of the 'Horsham Harness Racing History' just released at the meet. (Thomas Halfpenny even cracks a mention LOL) The 2200m record was lowered in 2 races and the Drivers Invitation was an All Star cast. The temp hovered around 33 most of the day which is too hot for this old man (and gee the harness crowd is old - of course we were celebrating history today). I wish these tracks inside a gallops track would let us have picnics on the gallops track to get closer (there is still a sand track as a buffer from the harness track)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I have some recollection that Julian Jobe may be a contributor to our forum - does anyone know his moniker?
    I have slowly been reading 'Horsham Harness Racing History' which John Peck has done a fantastic job on and which all attendees at the anniversary race meeting received (slowly as it is my bedside reading and I nod off after one page - not your fault JP)
    On page 33 it states that the first race when they raced at the Racecourse half mile circuit was won by CE Jobe's brm6 Claudie's Hope (run in 1948?). She is the tap mare for small family A378
    Claudie's Hope is the 2nd Dam of Grand Crown (1970) who won a Geelong, Shepparton, Cranbourne and Warragul Cup. AHR lists Grand Crown as only winning $3712 winning 1/1 but this would be to do with the database not going back far enough as surely those cups added up to more than $3000
    CH was also the 3rd Dam of Les Chevaux (1974) which rings bells from my nights at The Showgrounds or maybe it was only my schooldays french classes lol. He won a St Arnaud Cup but the AHR lists him as only winning 1/37 starts (the limit of db again?)
    CH was also the 3rd Dam of filly Magic Cove (1985) who won a SA YPTC Trotters Derby. Not sure what YPTC stands for

Anyway if anyone knows Julian, I thought he may be interested
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Hi Kevin - the "computer" database kicked in from around 1 August 1980. Results before this date were manually recorded in books like the AHRC Year Book or Bruce Skeggs magazines, or Peter Bye's form cards which I heard were thrown out in a skip many years ago by the Harness Board after his collection was gifted to them.

YPTC would stand for Yorke Peninsula Trotting Club which I think raced at either Port Augusta or Kadina.

+ Reply to Thread