Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: How to destroy a horses chances

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Being the last race and pretty much the last race anywhere for the night if we had access to technology/facilities like RV
    (see http://www.theage.com.au/sport/horse...22-107a0h.html)
    I would love to see all bet payouts over $500 frozen until inquiry completed.
    I am not declaring this race to be a betting scandal but in some races where you see such cold driving you have to consider whether they are doing more than saving the horse for another day
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Not a good look I agree but I'll cut him some slack (easy to do I suppose as I didn't bet in the race).....reckon he just outsmarted himself coupled with the fact he didn't have total control due to the horse pulling quite fiercely. Ducked to the pegs when he thought the speed was going to go right on rounding the turn into the straight, that speed didn't really eventuate, the 5 horse dropped the bit outside of him and with his horse 'keen' on the back of the one in front wasn't able to come back out into the running line. Reckon he clearly wanted to come off at about 150m from the winning post. Bad drive: no doubt. Running dead: a bit harsh IMO.

Junior Member Foal cisco will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    michael hill
    Hi Guys,

I would be interested in your opinions on the drive of Sovereign Faith in race 5 at Menangle on the 23/8/14.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_L View Post
    Not a good look I agree but I'll cut him some slack (easy to do I suppose as I didn't bet in the race).....reckon he just outsmarted himself coupled with the fact he didn't have total control due to the horse pulling quite fiercely. Ducked to the pegs when he thought the speed was going to go right on rounding the turn into the straight, that speed didn't really eventuate, the 5 horse dropped the bit outside of him and with his horse 'keen' on the back of the one in front wasn't able to come back out into the running line. Reckon he clearly wanted to come off at about 150m from the winning post. Bad drive: no doubt. Running dead: a bit harsh IMO.
    Totally dead IMO Brent - if he argues that he thought the 1x1 was going to fade and this was an easier way to get around him (only defence IMO) then the stewards call it a really bad drive and give him weaks anyway - may help him improve.
    From seeing quite a lot of PM's horse race around here, I have to say that I lean toward the fact that they choose which races they are going for a win. A little harsh maybe but just what I believe.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO HISGEN65 will become famous soon enough HISGEN65's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lewin
    Occupation
    Full time job..sadly
    Horses
    Sign of Perfecshon-Highview Sign
    IMHO this sort of thing,not this particular one but in general,is our sports biggest scurge - anything that is visually seen by the punting public & the public in general has to be in my opinion more damaging to the sport & to the sports ability to capture & contunually capture it's fair share of the punting market place,than anything else.I know a few chaps that lost a wag of money on several suspect performances in heats of series up here & sorry to say they will not punt on harness ever again.Yes we need to attempt to deal with other huge integrity issues for sure but this one needs to carry a lot bigger penalties in my opinion because without TAB turnover we got nothing.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Reckon you've hit the nail right on the head James, The industry in driven by the almighty punting dollar and this will certainly dry up if horses aren't driven on their merit. Another thing that I find annoying is how the hell can a driver get a stay for bad driving??? For EG: Continually taking another horses legs out, The appeal process certainly needs to be looked at if an experienced driver has become a serial offender.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by HISGEN65 View Post
    IMHO this sort of thing,not this particular one but in general,is our sports biggest scurge - anything that is visually seen by the punting public & the public in general has to be in my opinion more damaging to the sport & to the sports ability to capture & contunually capture it's fair share of the punting market place,than anything else.I know a few chaps that lost a wag of money on several suspect performances in heats of series up here & sorry to say they will not punt on harness ever again.Yes we need to attempt to deal with other huge integrity issues for sure but this one needs to carry a lot bigger penalties in my opinion because without TAB turnover we got nothing.
    Definitely spot on James. As far as heat betting goes - I think the answer might be in making Winning heats more attractive than just qualifying. A possible incentive could be that the connections get to select their barrier for the final according to their placing ie Fastest winner down to last to qualify. Gives them a massive incentive and a massive advantage but why shouldn't they get one - a bit like football ladder leaders getting an advantage in finals
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Filly thepacingman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Stephen Walsh
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    if horses aren't driven on their merit.
    Don't see that mentioned much any more. I can't remember the last time a driver went down on Rule 147 (failing to allow a horse to run on it's merits). Must be many, many years ago. And they usual penalty they got was 12 months DQ.

Now it's all 149 (reasonable and permissible measures). An easy cop out for the stewards in many ways. But the problem is above them.

The appeals boards have a lot to answer for in that they are the reason penalties are so lenient these days especially in Victoria. In that they hear the appeal and say appeal dismissed but more often than not they will reduce the penalty. That's how they justify their existence.

I can't find it at the moment (i'll keep looking) but there was a HRV appeal on a 149 not so long ago and they reduced it down to 11 days. Ridiculous. But I keep tossing up in my mind whether with the HRV appeals board the reason is ignorance or incompetence.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Quote Originally Posted by cisco View Post
    Hi Guys,

I would be interested in your opinions on the drive of Sovereign Faith in race 5 at Menangle on the 23/8/14.

Asked and answered previously.
    Check out the post but no thread line. (I know you already have.!!!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    Im Not A Trotter, Race Fav at Terang Trotters race slaughtered, 3 wide most of the race in a 7 horse field. No, i didn't have a dollar on it,. Quite a bad drive the drive before as well when suspended, leave the driving to Brooke, Bob...
    http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-re...ic#TEC03091407

+ Reply to Thread