Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Are our Monte races put on for fun and laughter?

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Thanks TeeCee. I couldnt find it so far back. I apologise Wayne. It was a slipped saddle. Looks like Maree isnt incompetent after all, does it?

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    I need to know Wayne, how is the saddle slipping a blight on the riders "experience or ability or strength and balance"??????? Your way off there!!

Banned Yearling Wayneo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Thompson
    Brad here is my expert appraisle on Brite N Lucky and Gina Bell. There are are few things that I think could have been done different. Firstly if I was the trainer or owner of Brite N Lucky and I had raced her 54 times for about 7 wins and a heap of placings all whilst dragging a gig behind her and than if she was to win a race by 25 meters one night and then next week if I was to run her in her 1st monte race and she got beat 149 meters I would probably workout almost before she had completed her 1st monte race that maybe monte racing doesn't quite suite my horses racing style. I reckon I would weigh up the winning margin of 25 meters last week with a gig against 149 meter losing margin in monte race. Now we have to remember that I don't drive trotters or work in the harness industry so weighing up them margins and different race types might give me a different opinion to someone who is experienced in the industry. Someone like yourself Brad. If for some stupid reason i didn't think that monte racing was for Brite N Lucky well it would certainly become clear to me at her next start with the gig back on and running 2nd beaten 1.8 meters and then 2 starts later winning by 5 meters with the gig of course. If i was to make a complete goose of my self and embarrass my horse that has been a great little money spinner for me and i wanted to look like a clown i would give Brite N Lucky 2 months off racing and guess what i would run her in 1st up. And just to top my stupidity off i will put a girl on her that has never driven her before and i will tell her to grab a really tight hold of the reins when she is lining up and getting ready to start the race. I will tell the new rider to hold her so tight with the reins that when she tries to begin she cant move her head and she panicks and runs backwards and when she runs backwards still keep a very tight hold of the reins so she keeps panicking and running further and further backwards and when the stewards call us in we will blame the tapes releasing and scarying her although that has never happened in the 40 standing starts we have given her previously. Brad do think that she should run in a monte next week or best to keep her to her normal racing. I dont know weather to keep putting her in montes and letting her get beat 149 meters or not even competing or put her back to what she likes, Very hard desicion. Might have to see what Gina reckons.

Real Name
    Wayne Thompson
    Brent considering you thought that a rider was able to pull a horses head left and right with broken reins i will explain to you why saddles should not slip to the side when the rider has their irions down as long as Maree and most of the other monte riders do. imagine if you had a motor bike in your drive way and you went out and stood up on the seat of the bike. So your feet are on the seat and you are standing strate up balancing. if i was push the moto bike to the side or you were to lose concentration for a second it is very easy to fall off the side of the bike. Now sit on the moto bike normally with you feet on the pegs and your hands on the handle bars. Now if was to give the bike a nudge you would not fall off because your legs are down a fair way on both sides and well before you would fall off you would squeeze your legs or shift the top half of your body to stay up. So if you were riding a horse and the saddle was done up properly and if the saddle was not done up properly you would notice in the warm up and you would also put a bit of weight from one leg to the other to see if the saddle is done up tight or not. Even if the saddle is done up properly a rider could still put all his weight on 1 leg and the saddle would roll a bit. If you watch most of the monte riders in Australia they are riding so long with their irions and that's because most of them would not have ridden race horses at trackwork and learnt to ride with there irons a bit shorter. I could not imagine anything more uncomfortable than riding in a monte race the way most of your riders are riding them. I will gauantee you that if monte racing keeps growing here than riding them the style they are now will be extinct within 12 months and years later people will look back and shake their heads at how that style even was allowed. Have a think back to all the old race horse photos you have seen from 30 40 50 years ago when all the jockeys had their stirrups down really long. Have you heard of a saying called the last of the straight backs. Thats what racing people say to some one when they are riding with there irions down long. Its a nice way of saying to someone that you look like some cowboy riding a horse back in 1880. And thats why people that dont know much about harness racing think that monte racing is funny to watch. Could you imagine Jim Cassidy riding that group 1 winner on Saturday coming down the strate looking like monte rider. He would get laughed out of Sydney.

Real Name
    Wayne Thompson
    Is that every one up to date now. Is there any thing blatenly obvious that needs to be pointed out to any one. Can someone please get messenger in here and get him to point out all the spelling mistakes.

Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Wayne. I have a feeling you have done everything better, bigger, faster brighter than anyone else. I also have a hunch you backed poor Maree on the night thinking it was a normal trot,and have stewed on it for 3 months. You have to let it go.

Real Name
    Wayne Thompson
    Lucky that race was about 4 months ago and im pretty sure i didn't bet in it but even if i did lose money on that race it would not make me so bitter that i would bring it up 3 or 4 months later. Why don't you find a country where monte racing is big and google some images and see if you can notice any difference. Toohard if you cant imagine people all over Australia watching horse racing all afternoon from Sydney melb bris and Adelaide and perth and on the exact tv that they just watched G Boss D Oliver J Cassidy H Bowman on comes that race at melton that we are talking about. What do you think 99 out of 100 peoples reaction would be. Are you telling me that you yourself don't laugh every time you watch it. What would you think if you were at menangle on id day the other week and after watching all the good horses and good drivers all day and 10 mins after the last the results come on the tv and than next minute here is a bunch of cowboys driving a big chariot down a straight getting pulled by a team of about 10 bullocks and it looks like the hillbilly circus has come to town. would you laugh or would you curse everyone else that's laughing and tell them that the chariot racing is only a new sport and it was wrong to laugh at that bloke swinging off the side of the chariot.

Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Do yourself and us a favour and dont watch them. Simple!

Real Name
    Wayne Thompson
    Hey lucky you sound a bit bitter that your stewards abbreviation and broken gear and broken rein and everything else you said was politely explained to you by some cowboy that wouldn't know jack about anything harness racing. You also seem a bit bitter that after watching the video 20 times and trying to prove to me your broken rein theory that you didn't even notice a wheelie bin on the track and the horse shying at it and the rider pulling the horses head around with the broken reins. Seems your also a bit bitter that you didn't know anything about how saddles can roll and slip and when it was politely explained to you by the new idiot that knows nothing your now going to start saying silly things about betting on a race 4 months ago and your probably going to look even sillier than you are so i will finish up for the day now so if you want to just write 1 more snarly childish thing and get the last word in well now would be the best time. cheers everyone. I hope we all learned something today. I certainly did,

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    [QUOTE=Wayneo;31405*I hope we all learned something today. I certainly did,[/QUOTE]

Yep me too.. if there are 50, 000 people in a pub getting a skinfull, 1 of them might have some common sense.

+ Reply to Thread